April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. Trebek

Miami, New Orleans, Washington D.C. Top 3 cities containing the worst people America has to offer.

April 10, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jose

Old Cubans need to wake up and realize they are in the UNITED STATES. Damn

April 10, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Island Jack

I think I'll boycott the Marlins for five games.

April 10, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  4. GIGI

Big deal!!! He just said that he respected Castro for being there for so many years.. There is nothing wrong with that. Why so many apologies?? I feel the same way, but I wont apologize for that...

April 10, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Bruce Feinberg

You must be kidding, the difference between here and Cuba is the fact that we CAN voice our opinions here. Miami has long been too much of a 3rd World country, Cuba-centric to sickening proportions.

This is the US, and we enjoy our freedom of speech, and if anyone does not like it, they are free to leave.The funny thing is, even if it is liberated from the current regime, the last thing that the Cubans want is for those who fled to return.

April 10, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. evrgreen

I have seen what Castro has done to Cubans and to that country. Have you Irish-English boy? Remember: appearances are deceiving. Talk to real cubans. Know the truth. Take off that blindfold.

April 10, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jose

Old Cubans need to wake up and realize they are in the UNITED STATES. Damn fool

April 10, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Patriot

Another example of the nonsense sweeping America. Agree with Mike in Arizona... "this is just wrong."

April 10, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  9. jpw2012

That's bs. What happened to first ammendment rights? Political correctness is destroying the U.S.

April 10, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Dan

GET over it.

April 10, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mark T, Union, NJ

The man should be able to support or not support Castro without the Cuban community in Miami going ballistic. It's a free country.

April 10, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • sick n tired

You mean, it used to be "a free country".

April 10, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • jon

This used to be a free country. Not any more. Except, of course, you are free to pay your taxes. Great.
      And, by the way, If Castro was so bad, why didn't the people of Cuba rise up and kill him over the past 60 years.
      Bunch of toads.

April 10, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • loverpoint

Maybe we should kick out some of Cuban exiles in this country that clearly don't understand "Freedom of Speech". Cubans in the US are bidding their time and waiting for the day when they can overthrow Cuba and turn it back into a den of criminality it was before Castro took over.

April 10, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Z_2k

I think Mr. Guillen's brain may be pickled. You can't keep up a routine as he describes for "25, 28 years" and not loose a few brain cells along the way. I believe he just didn't understand how his comment would be interpreted, regardless of what he really was meaning to say.

April 10, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  13. biff

so now we got a group of illegal aliens dictating MLB POLICY? AY CARUMBA!

April 10, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • muhamad

Pale Hose manager Ozzie Guillen has oodutne himself: the outspoken South Side monument, known for his legendary rants, authored yet another one on Monday night disputing a call from umpire James Hoye that shortstop Alexei Ramirez was out on a grounder. Guillen argued that the ball had dropped foul. This most recent rant is well worth watching, as it has Guillen kicking Cubs' backstop Geovany Soto's mask into an elegant trajectory, a visual that sparked Chicago wags to speculate that Guillen could be the Bears new punter.

July 14, 2012 at 1:45 am | Report abuse |
  14. Marie MD

@trebek, you are an idiot and a racist sitting in your double wide.
    This guile needs to spend his suspension in Cuba to see how much respect he had for castro after he can't eatnfor a dew days!

April 10, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ann

You missed the whole point.

April 10, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trebek

Marie MD: I'm far more successful and intelligent than you are, troglodyte.

April 10, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Charles Hilton

Those Cuban's who censor speech they don't agree with are no better than Castro and are the ones who should go back to Cuba.

April 10, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Abrondon

Reading his comments, his remorse seems to be heartfelt and have nothing to do with the suspension. I don't really understand the suspension in this case, but perhaps there are sensitivities in the Cuban-American community that I'm not aware of.

April 10, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • latuya83

Yes there is one sensitivity we all hate Castro

April 10, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |