April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. Stop_Madness

I will join others planning to boycott the Marlins for their un-American, Stalinist approach to freedom. In theory the Cubans who came to Miami decades ago were fleeing to the US to seek "freedom". And now, they are flexing their political muscle to squash the freedoms of everyone else. Don't put up with this. Disagree all you want, but don't try to tell anyone else what to think or say. Let's ship the Marlins and their Cuban friends off to Syria if they like that system so much!

April 10, 2012 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  2. M Griffin

Take away that little white ball from him. Then watch him self-destruct.

April 10, 2012 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  3. Torrent Daddy

I'm going to echo the same thing that everyone else is saying, "So much for Free Speech in America!" 😦

April 10, 2012 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  4. Sailor101

There is a difference between respect and supporting a person or regiem. Taking the entire remark in context he respected Castro for being able to stay alive for 60 years with lots of people trying to kill him. He did not say that he respected him for being a brutal dictator or for being the cause of so many murders or pain. People need to be intelligent enough to look at the entire statement, all they read was "I respect Castro" and then their brains turned off.
    He has nothing to apologize about and the Commish should overturn this right away.

April 10, 2012 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Kimberly

Well written. Agreed!

April 10, 2012 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  5. SayWhat?

This is America where we have Freedom of Speech, you know the 1st Amendment! Political correctness is getting ridiculous.

April 10, 2012 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  6. Derek

Perhaps Ozzie should address his comments to these desperate Cubans fleeing life under Castro last week and see if they agree.

April 10, 2012 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  7. Nina

I dont agree with a word of what he said, but I dont think he should be suspended for speaking his mind. He could use some sensitivity training though. He obviously knows very little about Castro.

April 10, 2012 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  8. Smuz

Oh no, illegals are offended. Get over it. Is it 1962?

April 10, 2012 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  9. sbp

Hey, Jorge, I was talking about dopes like you. I know you think you are very deep, but you have no understanding of what the First Amendment means. How about this – go to your boss and call him a moron, then come back here and complain about how he violated your right to free speech.

April 10, 2012 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  10. MiamiCarlos

He's lucky he still has a job with the Marlins. His mouth should consult his brain next time before is starts a yappin.

April 10, 2012 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  11. Mari

Though his choice of "heroes" is suspect, we do have freedom of speech in this country. Shame on the Marlin's management! I also have to agree with Rachel. The hypocrisy is astounding in this case.

April 10, 2012 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  12. SGT J

What?!? I'm no fan of of Castro's but, I am a huge fan of the right to free speech. I cannot believe this team pandered to the Cubans and actually suspended this man for giving his opinion. Wow!

April 10, 2012 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  13. Kimberly

You might not agree with what he said, but in this country, he has the right to say it. It's called Freedom of Speech and I can not imagine that he is suspended for speaking his mind. Besides, I don't think he meant that he looks up to Castro, just that he respects the tenacity of a ruler that, no matter what, is still around. Not sure how the team has legal right to suspend him on these grounds.

April 10, 2012 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  14. fahi

I think it's outrageous that people come to this country because of violation of human rights or because of some dictatorial or oppressive regime. Their freedom have been oppressed so they flee to a democratic country like ours. My only problem is that when they come her they tend to do the same to others whenever they are empowered to do so. Why can't someone exercise their freedom of speech because their comments may be unpopular? Why would an organization suspend that person because they too are afraid of being bullied by the mass who may treat to bully or oppress them? This sounds like the migrators don't have an issue with "Castro's approach" in Cuba. They are just jealous or regret it was not THEM the ones in power to do the same things Castro was doing. BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT IN THIS WORLD!!!

April 10, 2012 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  15. Blahman

This is just silly. They are suspending him because of an opinion? I don't see how his comment is even causing an uproar for that matter. He isn't supporting Castro with the quote, just that he is amazed he has lasted this long. Even the European Generals respected Napoleon as a great tactical General on the battlefield.

April 10, 2012 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Jolgar

No longer free speech America!!!!

April 10, 2012 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Leopold

He is a public figure and his opinion is heard. It was distressing to Cuban Americans. He talks about admiring Castro yet sits here and collects an enormous salary. Maybe he should go and teach baseball in Cuba and live in a one room room efficiency apartment that is 50 years old.

April 10, 2012 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Jolgar

Oh, one more... this kind of action is what Cuba would do for somebody speaking out. Moronic call all the way.

April 10, 2012 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
    • jimbojones

They are not suspending him because of an opinion, stupid. They are suspending him because he can't stop offending half of the fan base of whatever team he manages. Bad publicity is worse than losing games, especially in Miami. Look at the Stan van Gundy situation with the Heat. Guillen is not just ignorant, he's flat-out dumb. He will end up talking his way out of the Marlins' managing job. What Guillen said about Castro is irresponsible and comparable to Marge Schott's commentary on Adolf Hitler.

April 10, 2012 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
    • jimbojones

@Jolgar: "No longer free speech America"

What? When will idiots like you learn the difference between protected speech against your government and offensive stupidity for which any public figure can be censured? The Marlins have every right to shut Guillen up with a suspension and it is the moral thing for them to do. Christ, some people are stupid. Every time someone gets suspended or fired because of something dum they spout to the press, the "freedom of speech" thing gets thrown out there. It ISN'T a free speech issue!!!

April 10, 2012 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |