April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. dave meccariello

its amazing to me, how this man basically had his opinions and remarks "censored"... castro and the communists would be proud and lenin and stalin must me laughing in their graves at how america, "the land of the free" has become more like "russia" than russia ever was........... from secret prisons, to taking ones job away if he speaks with unpopularity. where is the aclu outrage?

April 10, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jeeper45

Freedom of speech means freedom from govt stopping your speech or punishing you for it. It says nothing about what private companies or other people can't do after you've spoken.

April 10, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  3. BillyBob117

This is clearly not a case of freedom of speach--I bet somewhere in his contract, what he did was a no no and subject to punishment by the team's owner--he has always had a big foul mouth--Miami will be very sorry that they hired a second rater--

April 10, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  4. PatG

atadbitridiculous

I'm not Cuban, but I know why all Cubans living in Florida have fled to America. Most have had parents, brothers and sisters lost to a firing squad. A Cuban ESPN journalist said that his parents fled Cuba after having been beaten with chains by the police. This is not about Communism. It's about living under a despotic ruler who has no respect for human life.

And to others who have written about free speech. Ozzie Guillen is not going to jail because of his opinions. That's how we operate in a free society. However, everyone still has to deal with the consequences of saying stupid, insensitive things.

April 10, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  5. denman838

If the Latin / Cuban community in Miami should be upset about anything, it's the persecution of Ozzie Guillen and the denial of his First Amendment right to free speech and expression. Excuse me, people, this is AMERICA. You CAN freely state your positions and opinions, regardless of how popular they may or may not be. While it probably was a stupid and insensitive thing for him to say, it's not something for which he should be suspended. SHAME ON YOU, MIAMI!

April 10, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Chut Pata

This is stupid. Why is the political opinion of a sportsman matters? Would he face suspension if he said he did not believe in God, or that Mona Lisa was ugly, or that evolution is a scientific fact? This is stupid journalism aimed at destroying people's life. A person should be fired based on his opinions on his job only. If he was fired for bringing the team down by his remarks, I would understand, not his remarks on politics, religion, art, science etc.

April 10, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Gunsmoke Jackson

So, punish a guy for liking another guy (Castro) by in turn acting like the other guy (oppression).

That sounds about American enough...

April 10, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  8. wrong

While I don't agree with Guillen's original statement, he should have the right to express his own opinion. What is wrong with this place lately? People disrespect not only Obama (their right), but show lack of respect for the office of the president (still their right, but in bad taste). We live with that, but now someone is punished for an allegedly positive comment about a foreign dictator. What has happened to the 1st Ammendment?

April 10, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  9. legaleze

Cuban-Americans organized the 1980 Mariel boatlift when Castro permitted anyone who so desired to leave Cuba. Prisoners and the mentally ill were released and put on boats. Only after 125,000 illegal immigrants arrived in Florida was boatlift was ended by mutual agreement between the two governments. You might ask yourself why they were allowed to stay. Guillen is a US citizen and can voice legally his opinion. If you disagree you are not a patriot.

April 10, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Giblet

??? May be the headline should be " Americans no longer have the Right to Freedom of Speech"!!

April 10, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Liberty Now

I agee - this is absurd! I detest Castro in part because of his views on freedom of speech. We believe in freedom of speech! We are becoming what we despise through fear of "offending" someone.

April 10, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • sortakinda

You have read the minds and articulated the thoughts of millions of Americans.

April 10, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Angie Young

Hear Hear! Remember Joe McCarthy & J Edgar Hoover and the American persecution of the Communists? Last time I checked, we still had freedom of speech and political beliefs!

April 10, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan R

For the last time, freedom of speech means the government can't persecute you or prosecute you for your opinions. It means you have the right to be a nazi and hold nazi parades. It doesn't mean your empolyer can't fire you for being a Nazi. The government has no right to do or say anything about people loving Castro, but employers can fire people for it if it's bad for business. Political correctness may be running amok, with entertainment figures fired mope than in the past, but true freedom of speech is stronger than ever. Try speaking against the goverment in many countries and you might be arrested or be-headed. I say appreciate America for what it is – the greatest country on earth. And don't look for flaws that aren't there.

April 10, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  11. marcusrod

‎5 games for Guillen, and cuban disadents are protesting??? That's total BS! So what if he "loves" Castro (which was a statement taken completly out of context)??? Is there really nothing better for the Miami Cubans to protest about? Like the state of our health care (which is free in Cuba), the state of our economy (last time I checked they didn't have many starving people in Cuba). He's a baseball coach, not a State senator.

April 10, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  12. dan

Marlins need to lighten up. It's not like he slandered the US. Good Grief...

April 10, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Machipongo John

Too bad that Ozzie has to suck up to the Fascist Cuban refugees in Florida.

April 10, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mark H

What ever happened to free speech?
    The Marlins are catering to the Cuban population in Florida. If he had said it while being a part of, say the White Sox, there would be no issue. And anyway, he said that he respected Castro because he has managed to avoid assassination for so many decades. Not that he loved what he has done for his country or how he leads, I keep telling my kid: "Think before you speak" There is no free speech anymore.

April 10, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  15. eb

suspended over this? honestly, so many things you hear about athletes doing that are far worse and don't rate a suspension. this is ridiculous

April 10, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |