April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. ignoranceisbliss

Omg stop harping about Freedom of Speech. Most of you that go around spewing "what about Freedom of Speech" have no sense of the amendment. Guillen is under contract by a private business who are the MARLINS. I bet half of you would go up to your boss and say "eff you" to the guy and wonder why you're fired on spot. I can go around saying anything I want to anyone UNLESS I am in uniform or at my place at work, because you are bound by ethical and moral standards.

April 10, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. S_B

Woa! We can argue back and forth all day about opinions... but opinions vary. I want to know, what happened to FREEDOM OF SPEECH????

April 10, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • DC603

FREEDOM OF SPEECH PROTECTS YOU FOR YOUR SPEECH AGAINST OUR US GOVERNMENT.

It does NOT apply here. Freedom of speech doesn't give you the right to say whatever you want whenever you want. Your employer is well within their bounds to suspend or terminate if they think your words could be harmful to their image or business.

April 10, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Gregg

Umm...didn't Ozzie actually also say "I love Fidel Castro" and not merely that he respects him? More of CNN's selective editing to skew the story? And we all know that CNN loves and respects Castro and every anti-American regime as well.

April 10, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Spijder

The fact that the quote offended anyone is proof that no one listens to entire sentences and that calling someone a phrase utilizing foul language (which was a stronger bit of obscenity in another article I read this morning, one that had to be completely *'d out) no longer infers insult.

April 10, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  5. jim

What happen to the days when we were able to voice our opinions? We are creating a country where everyone has a new right. the right to never be offended. We are pathetic.

April 10, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Vince A

If Mr. Guillen respetcs Fidel Castro so much, maybe he should consider living in Cuba under Fidel Castro's rule.

April 10, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. ken845

This is the United States of America where everyone has the right to free speech. It seems to me the Marlins' management are acting like dictators.

April 10, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  8. alex

ok, first Ozzie getting suspended IS SO NOT NEWS. Second, I thought this was America and free speech, you know how Cnn runs to that preacher events who burned the Quran and got Americans killed. If the Marlins have thoughts of grandeur for themselves now I understand why zimmerman thinks its ok to gun down a kid or why so many residents abandon their dogs, cats, snakes and other unwanted items in the everglades, cause its their right to be better than _____.

April 10, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  9. edeveryday

What the hell is going on in this country with people suppressing your right to free speech and then punishing you for speaking your mind? Who the hell do they think they are? Get off people's backs and leave them alone for f–k sake! What country do you think we are living in? Iran? North Korea? China?

April 10, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • edeveryday

So "freedom of speech" does not apply to private enterprise? O.K. fine, then I'm out o' here! That's the last time I give you all a piece of my mind! Good bye!

April 10, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  10. VegasRage

Freedom of speech, not in the NBA apparently.

April 10, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian

Freedom to suspend also...it's private enterprise my friend. Your company can fire you for doing email.

April 10, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • SomeGuy

Apparently you know nothing about freedom of speech ... or that the Marlins are a baseball team and not an NBA team.

April 10, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Shelle

Suspending a guy for voicing his opinion? Oppressing his right to freedom of speech? Sounds like something Castro would do. Ooooh, the irony.

April 10, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Well said!

April 10, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian

Freedom of speech has to do with government supression, not a private company or enterprise. MLB has the right to supsend or fire him if they wish. They also have the right to tell him what to say or not to say while wearing the uniform or representing them.

April 10, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • DC603

Your right to freedom of speech applies to the US government... The government can't repress your speech against them. Your employer, however, can, especially if they think it is detrimental to their business.

This is high school civics; I can't believe how many people here are citing free speech when it doesn't apply AT ALL.

April 10, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • SomeGuy

His employer suspended him for insulting a large segment of their customer base, cuban americans .... not for expressing an opinion or belief. He is a public representative of his employer, the Marlins. This isn't about freedom of speech. This was conduct detrimental to his employer and every employer has a right to suspend or terminate an employee for behavior that is not in the best interest of the employer. If you owned a business and you had an employee who did something to insult or alienate your customers, you would probably fire him too ... not sit there and say, oh well, he has a right to say what he wants.

April 10, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shelle

No, he did not insult a large segment of their customer base. He made a statement about his political beliefs which a large segment found offensive. Do you think that a republican boss should fire his democrat employee because he is offended by the democrat agenda? I certainly don't. I don't have to agree with the man or even believe he has much intelligence to think that a suspension was unwarranted and inappropriate. If the Marlins disagree with his comments, they can put out a statement saying so. If I were the manager, that is exactly what I would do.

April 10, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Trebek

Miami, New Orleans, Washington D.C. Top 3 cities containing the worst people America has to offer!

April 10, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  13. james

......

April 10, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  14. SAI

We take pride in being the bastion of freedom in thought, word and deed – and we then have strong special interest groups which muffle free speech selectively. Thus, a distinguished journalist in her 80's is muflled and disgraced for voicing one opinion – while others who voice more virulent and violent opinions of our current 'hate' objects are applauded; it is OK to disparage and besmirch Hindus and Muslims, Hispanics, Palestinians, Iranians and other such groups – but anything perceived to be hurtful or insulting to our sacred groups will result in vicious and violent over-reaction. Are we being the truly freedom-loving people we pretend we are?

April 10, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • SomeGuy

Who is "we". This is something the Marlins did, not "we".

April 10, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |