April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. DCBlackman

Since when is it wrong to speak your mind, regardless of who it offends, Cubans in Miami think they run that city,
    check your history the people put Castro in power before Castro the poor were peasants working the land for the wealthy oligarchy, Castro and Che changed all that. Long live Castro

April 10, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jose Perez

Yo are an idiot!!!! Castro has killed hundreds and thousands of innocent people.

April 10, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • SomeGuy

It isn't wrong to speak your mind. However, as a public representative of his employer, his employer has a right to fire him (or suspend him) for insulting or alienating its customers. That's what people don't get. Your employer doesn't have to employ you. You have an agreement, you help me and I will pay you ... that's it. You have the right to quit and they have the right to fire you when it is no longer a beneficial relationship.

April 10, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  2. NightCelt

It's scary – what appears to be happening to free speech lately in this country.

I don't support his remarks by any means and they certainly illustrate a lack of sufficient historical knowledge but still don't get why he's suspended. Isn't this still the US of A?

April 10, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mean C

YOU CAN'T EXPRESS YOUR OPINION. SCREW...

April 10, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Dan

So he spoke his mind and now he's being punished for it? Go Team America!

April 10, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jacknyd

So much for freedom of speech, America is in the toilet.

April 10, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jeeper45

Where were all these "Freedom of speech" people when Rush said the awful things he said and lost sponsors?? Yeah, that's what I thought.

April 10, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Abu Yaseen

America and "freedom of speech" nonsense at its best. The best form of deception is to mix a little good with bad. There is no democracy or freedom of speech in this country. You say anything against the rich, famous, powerful etc., you are screwed. This is why filthy infedels are taking their best shots at cursing, lying and hating on Islam and Muslims, all under freedom of expression and speech. But no worries, a very paniful torment is waiting for them.

April 10, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jim

This guy's a bonehead. He's been making pro-Castro and pro-Chavez statements for the last 7 years. He is unapologetic about his socialist beliefs. Unlike in Cuba or his home country of Venezuela, he won't be thrown in jail or murdered by the government for his opinions, however that does not mean he won't face consequences for his words. Free speech in America does not mean you have an implict freedom from consequences, it just means the government will not abridge your civil rights.

April 10, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jose Perez

I could not agree more Jim! Three quraters of the foks on these pst are brain dead.

April 10, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jose Perez

OMG there is a great deal of people that have no brains. Listen up, Fidel Castro is the equibilant of Cubas Hitler. He has killed thousands of Cubans in firing squads for wanting to be free. Ozzie Guilen is a complete moran. Know your audience. It would be good if the sponsors pull out and then they will fire his sorry ass. I am so glad he left Chicago.

April 10, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jose

dude, that happens in every civil war, war is war, nothing but death. Check out OUR own civil war that freed us from the british. Firing squads too. remember bernadit arnold?? lol amongst others

April 10, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Nick D

Wow. It's crazy how we've become a country that censors ourselves.
    Next your going to tell me it's inappropriate for a public figure to criticize Israel.

April 10, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • tet1953

*gasp* hush yo' mouth

April 10, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Patricia Shapiro

Are we living in the land of Big Brother? This man simply said what he was thinking. He did not "swear allegiance" to Castro or anything even close to that. He has a right to his opinion and should not be made to feel he has to apologize.

April 10, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • rep

public opinion was against him though; this was as a result of their reaction. if the fans stop coming, everyone (connected to the franchise) loses.

i certainly have things i can't say publicly because they might affect my employment. don't most people?

April 10, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  12. GeorgeBos95

What kind of crap is this for the Marlins to stick their nose into his personal business.

Marlins management is a bunch of tyrranical JERKS

April 10, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  13. tet1953

Suspended? Really? This is getting scary. You don't have to agree with what he said - I don't, although I understand what he meant - but we are supposed to be able to speak freely.

April 10, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  14. please grow up

Marlins, GROW UP!

April 10, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jeeper45

Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences from the private sector. It only addresses what the government can do to you.

April 10, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |