April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. Cooper

What a bunch of sissies in Floriday. So much for the 1st Ammendment.

April 10, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  2. walkthetalk

What an idiot. He should be fired. Glad the suits in Miami aren't putting up with his mouth.

April 10, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • gratular

And to think people like you could be called to jury duty is chilling. Truly chilling...

April 10, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Hoopdog50

Wow!! The owners of the Marlins sure learned a lot from Castro. They are implementing the same censorship as his goverment. The only difference is...........you are not in Cuba you idiots!! Why don;t you go back to Cuba and buy yourselfs a little baseball team and dictate as anarchysts. Not in the USA!!

April 10, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  4. OMG

I mean really... this is way too harsh... I mean is this the United States of America or are we in Iran?? Oh no... wait.. I'm gonna be censored too!

April 10, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  5. chasdool

I thought we live in America?? The guy is not afiliated to any political wing, but getting suspended 5 games to say he RESPECTED Fidel Castro. What a shame. Bud Selig should step in and overturn the suspension. This is plain WRONG!!!!

April 10, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Proud51

IT IS ALWAYS SO EASY FOR PEOPLE TO SUPPORT OTHER COUNTRIE'S CRIMINAL DICTATORS, LIKE FIDEL FROM THE COMFORTS OF OUR DEMOCRACY. BUT ASK THEM IF THEY WOULD LIVE IN CUBA, AND YOU WON'T HEAR A YES.

April 10, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Peter

Free speech? Clearly not. Anyone who saw Cuba before Castro would be amazed. In those days of Batista and the American Mafia, the price of a 12-year-old girl was $100, people starved, there was no medical care for the poor and a bullet in the head was the reward for speaking out. It was the poorest Caribbean nation run by American gangsters. Admire, may be too strong a word for what Castro has done but he has improved the lot of Cubans; even the poor ones.

April 10, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  8. BLKvotingAmerican

OMG.......................so the "main-stream" says "think this way or at least don't talk about it publically if you don't"....REALLY America, REALLY? So freedom of speech means NOTHING anymore, unless it's white freedom of speech. JOKE!

April 10, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Fluff-Bunny

The same thing happened to me when I told people how much I missed and respected Crystal Pepsi.

April 10, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jo An

Who is the DICTATOR????

April 10, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • benigno

the marlins ass. because they are telling you what you can and cant say !!!\

April 10, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  11. I'm riding on a bike

There are plenty of bikes in Cuba.

April 10, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Chris

"You have the right to free speech/As long as you're not dumb enough to actually try it" – Joe Strummer

April 10, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • benigno

you are so right.

April 10, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Steve

WHO CARES!!!!!

April 10, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scheer

That's why our country is sinking...because of comments like yours. Wake up.

April 10, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  14. justme

It's pathetic. We no longer have a voice. Wrong, wrong, wrong Marlins!!

April 10, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  15. gratular

You've got to be kidding me!!

April 10, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |