April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. cw

Again, for the neophytes who don't understand... This is NOT a Freedom of Speech case!!! Please educate yourselves.

April 10, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Plopez

Yes it is. You have the right to your opinion. If even others disagree. If you want to see what censorship leads to move to Iran or N. Korea.

April 10, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul

Perhaps not, but it is ABOUT freedom of speech. Don't accuse others of being neophytes when you yourself are one.

April 10, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • CitizenUSA

Very much a Free Speech issue, but the Marlins don't want to wrap themselves in the Flag: they want to wrap themselves in the Dollar. As though Batista and the Sugar Industry had the "citizens" of Cuba in their hearts. to our shame we renegged on the Teller Amendment and made Cuba a protectorate.

April 10, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Omar

Regardless of what the right wing extremists in Miami think, Guillen did nothing wrong. I know it may be hard for some to swallow but there are ALOT of people, even in the United States, who admire Fidel. What is truly shameful is that the only opinion that the majority of people in the US have about Castro or Cuba is shaped by fringe right wing elements who openly support terrorism. People should do some research about who these "Cubans" really are.

April 10, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Christine

Wow... Ever heard of freedom of speech? Enough is enough!

April 10, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. J.C.

This is a free country as long as you believe and speak with the lies and deception of U.S. politics and religion.. Voice anything else and and you are marginalized and looked at like some kind of anti-American nut...I know, I have lived with this for 50 years...

April 10, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Scott Wallace

What's next? Suspend people for thinking bad things. Or jail them or execute them. A la Minority Report. This whole PC watch what you say crap is getting so out of hand. Grow a spine people and move on. We are turning in to the United States of the Offended. Worry about what you do and not everyone else and I bet this planet would be a whole lot better place to live.

April 10, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Scheer

He has a lot of respect? Why doesn't he move to Cuba.

Listen to William Levy on DWTS. He didn't know what a flippin' apple was until he came to this country...he came from less than nothing. Those poor people down there.

I have zero respect for an animal like Castro.

April 10, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Harriet

I'll type this slow so you can understand. He said he has repect for the fact that the S O B has stayed alive this long...as to say, he is surprised that no one has assasinated Castro yet.

I am failrly sure that Levy cannot speak the best of English,either...and yeah, I'll get my news from DWTS anytime. Grow up.

April 10, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • benigno

go to cuba and then critisize please

April 10, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Aaron

Uh... Freedom of Speech ring a bell?

April 10, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • LittleBearFN

He has freedom of speech... He can say what he wants. Does not mean the private sector or the court of public opinion has to agree. Also, there are always consequences...

April 10, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. bobby dove

LAND OF THE FREE?

April 10, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  9. pico

"The Miami Marlins suspended manager Ozzie Guillen for five games" = democracy or hypocrisy
    and YES i respect Castro and the Cuban. the real ones not the Miami version of fake Cuban.

April 10, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  10. elvinmerij

Ozzie Guillen's comments say more about South Florida's Cuban community than they say about Ozzie Guillen. What kind of people are these Floridians that they persecute Guillen for exercising his freedom of speech? Or more importantly, his freedom of thought?

Let’s be very clear about who these people are: BATISTANS. South Florida's Cuban community is very much the old guard of pre-Castro Cuba. Those who benefitted from Batista’s brutal regime.

Of course they hate Castro. And always will. Just as Dixie slave-owners hated those who changed the face of America after the Civil War.

April 10, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • arpad

My best friends family owned a bakery in Cuba. His father, uncles and older brothers supported Castro and then stopped when they realized what he was. He put 65 people inside, locked the doors and burned them alive. My friend escaped with his grandparents and grew up in spanish harlem. The only diff between Castro and Hitler/Stalin/Mao is the volume of victims. Imagine Ozzie had said I really respect Hitler. You think he would keep his job?

April 10, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rafael

100% agree with you. I am saddened to say, that many of my people (I am Cuban Expat too), especially those over 50 crowd are as intolerant as they come. Anyone who disagrees with them gets labeled a communist/socialist among other things I would rather not mention here. Ironic how they are doing the same thing to this man that they accuse Castro of doing to Cuba for over 50 years.

April 10, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Andrew

To be perfectly honest, from someone who has lived in both countries, there is more censorship here than there is is Russia. Freedom of Speech has been slowly dying in the land of the free since the days of Edgar Hoover and getting progressively worse.

April 10, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  12. ChrkeePrde

um... freedom of speech???

April 10, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Tex71

Miami punishes an athlete for his political opinion?
    Sounds like something that would happen in the former Soviet Union.
    Or maybe in Cuba..?

April 10, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Paul

Welcome to the USSA (United Soviet Society of A*ses).

April 10, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |