April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. musicfaninmo

wow, I never respond to these things, but that Joe Strummer quote is awesome! My biggest problem is that they seemed to act quicker about this in BB than the NFL did about bounties, and that actually has something to do with sports!

April 10, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Al Alvarez

If I said that although I dislike Hitler, I admire his efficient extermination of his opposition, could I keep my job as head of the Guggenheim?

April 10, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • w5cdt

Yes...because you prefaced it in the proper way.

April 10, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Frank A.

Freedom of speech is a right to free speech in face of the government. Private parties don't have to tolerate free speech. For instance, you can't go to a McDonalds store, handle some leaflets advertising Burger King in the drive-through lane, and claim you are exerting free speech rights. Or enter a church and hand pro-atheism propaganda.

April 10, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • yuri pelham

Agreed government isn't involved. People are; and people can boycott the Marlins. But they won't . Evil wins. Truth loses.

April 10, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Rooster

Send this jerk to Cuba first class and don't bring him back. That goes for any other jerk that wants to praise people like castro or their forced rule over people. If he likes the moron so much he needs to live there and not have his big high paying contract. Earn that kind of money under the jerk in cuba.........!!!!!!!!!

April 10, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • w5cdt

In the same sentence he called Fidel an SOB. Did everyone miss that part?

April 10, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  5. BillDog

Ozzie is a blithering idiot and has been known for his stupidity for some time. It is amazing that he has had success a s a big league manager......

April 10, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  6. godaddy

Freedom of speech is fine ... but people can also get mad and boycott you for saying it. Suspending someone is a form of freedom of speech as well.

April 10, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guillen

If you follow your logic, shooting someone is also a form of freedom of speech....

April 10, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Guillen

Rest of the USA is getting tired of Miami cubans.

April 10, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Charles Spencer King

50 + years of failed US policy Elian Gonzalez and me are not surprised, are you? We;re the land of the free ( except to spend money in Cuba) and those brave enough to visit anyway. We do business and even give dictators "friendly neighbor trading status" but cite the less than 500 political prisoners i Cuba's jails, wile ignoring the many tens of thousands in China's ! 90 miles away Cubans suffer from our archaic big foot policies... and you wonder why Latinos don't trust the US ? Want an education? Look up Luis Posada Carriles and then tell me how noble we are.. Bah !

April 10, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  9. charlie nguyen

His Freedom of Speech is trampled!!! It's ironic the so-called Cuban political refugees persecuted him. And they say they are running from Cuba for their freedom of speech! These are not political refugees, they are economical opportunists. Shame on them!

April 10, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Enthalpy

I am no fan of Ozzie and Castro is a Tirrant! But give me a break here. He did not praise something particular like killing and it is not related to his sport. Can't we focus on real issues and real reform?

April 10, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Amy

he was totally right! For 60 years no one on the island could kill Castro...interesting. Now when he is so old, they still don't know how to get rid of him...interesting. How come Arabs organised the Arab spring and cubans can not do anything about that old regime, and don't tell me that it is worse there. East Europeans got rid of communism 20 years ago, all tyrans are gone, and Castro is still in power. How come?

April 10, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jose

Exactly. Cubans need to shut up or go fight. If you fight castro from the USA with words and boycotts, your clearly a coward. Go pick up arms and FIGHT and stop blaming everybody for your problems. Im sick of it.

April 10, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amy

I think its about visas. They can come illegally and they green cards for that in a year, while other people have to wait for 10 years and they come legally!

April 10, 2012 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jose

exactly!! not fair!! these ppl are not americans, they land on our shores and AUTOMATICALLY become citizens after filling out a few papers. That's cuz they are not black, lots of cubans are white lol and miami is little havana lol unfortunately

April 10, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  12. max33333445555

the SOB is alive after 60 years of people trying to kill him. that includes the US government. i think I agree with the comment about respecting his ability to stay alive. why the suspension?

April 10, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Delif

The Trayvon Martin case must be losing steam.

April 10, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Edgar Hoopkank

So much for freedom of speech. Think about this: people in the US might not be slaves in the sense we know but they seem to be slaves of money. Follow the money.

April 10, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Rachel

The Marlins over reacted on this one.

April 10, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  15. angryersmell

Ozzie should not have been suspended, and the Cuban community in Florida should be ashamed for supporting the imposition of limits on his freedom of speech; something I'm sure they'd claim happens in Cuba under Castro all the time. Explain to us why he's wrong, or why he should be more sensitive, but don't applaud this, because it hurts us all.

April 10, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Delif

I like your approach...confuse them with logic! Well said.

April 10, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • See

Because you loose fans going to the game. Something they can't afford to have.

April 10, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |