April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. Tom

So, you're not allowed to have your own opinion or political views when you play professional baseball? Isn't the game referred to as America's Pastime? I'm not saying I agree with him, but I hardly think you can penalize him for having an opinion.

April 10, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • See

So offending your paying fans is a good thing? He should have that written as part of the contract.

April 10, 2012 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  2. respectfully

But a Republican Senator from Iowa can call the US president "stupid' on Twitter and doesn't suspended from his games.
    Cmon people where is the respect in that?

April 10, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  3. R

land of free speech my ass.

April 10, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Amy

BTW what happened to free speech?

April 10, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  5. See

These stupid South Americans fail to understand that The Marlin is a BUSINESS to make money. Insulting a majority of baseball fans is not a smart thing to do. Go back to your Hugo Chaves in Venezuela. I would have fired you for the insult.

April 10, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amy

how did he insulted anyone? I live in Miami and I do not feel insulted!

April 10, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jose

That's what i say to the cubans, shut up or put up. Go fight your own war, wanting america to go fight their battles.

April 10, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • M I Snow

You don't know what you speak about... believe it or not the majority of Marlins fans that attend the games aren't even cuban...

April 10, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  6. EdC

Does Selig have a list of what political opinions are and are not allowed to be spoken by MLB personnel? The notion that Gullen should be suspended because his opinion offended part of the population is bizarre. Every poltical opinion will offend some part of the population.

April 10, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • See

paying populations fans...

April 10, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Miquel

These are indeed sad times for our "free" country. The USA hasn't had freedom of speech for some time now in my opinion, and once people are afraid to speak for fear of reprisal and/or personal economic dissaster it's over for us all. It seems that we are almost to that point right now.

April 10, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Chad

It's a free speech issue and I agree that his remarks weren't inflammatory. I think suspending him sends the wrong message about what you can and can't say.

April 10, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  9. M I Snow

RIDICULOUS!!! Makes me ashamed to live in South Florida... Just goes to show so much for the Cuban communities' sense of democratic ideals... Don't let MARCO RUBIO any where near the White House...

April 10, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amy

agree in 100%

April 10, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  10. stevem7

Much, much, much, much too politically correct. The dumbest suspension in the history of MLB bar none.

April 10, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Coop

The Miami Marlins should be ashamed of themselves !
    Can't express an opinion, as a fully grown man, of respect for someone, anyone ?

Ozzie Guillen plays and drinks and then plays and drinks day after day ?
    The Marlins are idiots. This boy is an alcoholic. That's the true story
    and what they should be most concerned about.

April 10, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • JimJ

You don't know what power the corrupt Cuban thugs of Miami have!

April 10, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Brian

Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from repercussions. Freedom of speech means the government can't persecute individuals or groups for their views. People are as free today as ever to share viewpoints contrary to the establishment or popular opinion. But with this freedom, as all our freedoms, comes responsibility. People should be aware when they say ignorant, hurtful things that there's going to be an outcry. You can make the decision to say them or not, but you better mean them and be prepared for the response. That's what freedom of speech means. It works both ways. Freedom to speak, and freedom to respond.

April 10, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • JimJ

Yet we as American's are not allowed to confront Cuban thugs from little Havana in Miami, without political repercussions!

April 10, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jess

Right, but why is there a punishment ... would this have happened to the Brewer's? Who is judge and jury and why?

April 10, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  13. JimJ

We're talking about Cuban thugs here, criminals that followed Batista to Miami when he got kicked out for corruption, these Cuban power brokers are some of the most vile people on earth.

April 10, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Lorraine

I agree with all who ask "where is freedom of speech"! He did not say anything hateful; he just didn't think about the uproar it would have on the Cuban community. Everytime something someone says or does what the Cuban community perceives as pro-Castro the rest of us have to suffer...by blocked streets, concerts and, in this case, our home team coach being suspended. In effect, " the coach is being taken away like the demonstrator in Cuba during the Pope's visit".

April 10, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Steve

Hitler had some good ideas too. He hated smoking, and gave away gold watches to any of his staff that quit.

Am I banned now?