April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. Chad

These commissioners are quick to suspend a player for an off the cuff remark, but they look the other way about steroid use.

April 10, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  2. loui85

Even though I might not hold Fidel Castro in high esteem, I don't see why Guillen should be chastised. Since free speech is one of the aspects that differentiates the U.S. from Cuba.

April 10, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • tutuvabene

Until you say the politically inappropriate thing.

April 10, 2012 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Peter

Would you people screaming about freedom of speech still be saying that if his quote had been "I love Osama Bin-Laden, I respect him for surviving so long in the mountains".. I know the same ones defending him would be asking for his head. That's because it is a topic you care about. Well Bin-Laden killed a tiny fraction of the amount of people Castro has killed. An FYI.

April 10, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Bonnie

Are we not the land of FREE SPEECH! If we are going to start censoring what can and cannot be said we are no better than those we accuse of dictatorship policies. Maybe people should actually read about Castro and the early days of the revolution. I don't like the dictatorship and feel horrible that the people have suffered so long but this is just so wrong on many levels!

April 10, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Ted

He upset the Cuban – American community. Maybe it would be illuminating for him to go and teach baseball in Castro's Cuba for a while, not draw the huge salary he gets here in America, and live on a very modest salary, line up for groceries, and reside in a 50 year old one room apartment.

April 10, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marcus112

Thank you Ted! A real American, who gets it. Too many gd commies around I think nowadays. It's beginning to concern me.

April 10, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. jdog

Dog I'm glad i live in Canada....the US is a wingnut fearful of everything society....fear everything, guns guns guns.....money first above all else.....confused children

April 10, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  7. jim

Last time I was in Miami had Cubans yelling; "Yankee Go Home". That did make me upset to a minor degree, and have not been back to the entire state of Florida since. Have gone to Jamaica and Bahamas, without any comments like I heard from Cubans in Miami. Only place that seems to generate more anger than Cuba is Haiti, in my experience, even Cubans don't like going to Haiti.

As for these comments by Guillen, he should have the right to say what he wants, and I don't care what team he is manager of. I may not watch any Marlin games, but wasn't watching them before anyhow. If the Marlins didn't raise such a fuss, doubt this would have gotten so much bad publicity. If you have not been to Miami in last few decades then you don't know how bad the rhetoric is there. The same person may praise Castro 1 minute and condemn him to hell the next. That was my big impression last time there, they all hate each other and just stay outta their way, eventually they need to end their hate or it will consume them, just as hate has consumed Haiti.

April 10, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  8. tutuvabene

This is a remark I would expect a newbie player to make but the manager...!?

April 10, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Sra. Julia

I just don't like this thing where a corporation like a baseball club gets to control what views a person has about politics or anything else. I thought this was the land of the free! Guess not. The remark that you can't hand out coupons for a rival business at McDonald's or Atheist flyers at church is this cannot be punished for it either other than maybe being asked to leave and if you don't being removed by the police because your trespassing. You can still stand on the sidewalk and say what you want or you should be able to, but these days ..... who knows, cops are shown beating up grandmas at protest rallies and spraying peaceful protesters with pepper spray at an increasing rate. The corporation rules HAIL The corporate leaders.

April 10, 2012 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  10. timsaxm

Re-statement..."baseball be berry berry good to be...Castro been berry bad." Everybody happy?

April 10, 2012 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Justice

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life." Wow, he must have been an angel all his life. Give me a break. A suspension for exercising his free speech. So much for "land of the free and home of the brave" slogan.

April 10, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Bobby

Miami is an infested craphole.

April 10, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Miguel M

By suspending Guillen shows that they are no different than Castro. Dictators

April 10, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • pam

how right you are

April 10, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  14. SomeGuy

This isn't like North Korea or China .. or Cuba. In those countries, the government can throw you in jail and take everything you have for saying something that they don't agree with. This isn't a freedom of speech issue. This is far different. You have an agreement with your employer ... that if you do this work then they will pay you. Both of you willingly entered into the agreement. Both of you have the right to end the agreement. They can fire you and you can quit. If you as their public representative says something publicly that hurts the employer, they have the right to end the relationship ... just as you have the right to end the relationship for any reason, including them not treating you fairly.

April 10, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  15. HealeyDude

Whatever happen to the 1st amendment? The militant Cuban element in Miami for decades has done everything it can to stifle reasonable discourse on how to respond to the Castro regime. There is no question that Castro is totalitarian and has repressed the Cuban people for years. However, the ex patriot Cuban leadership has pressured every US President since Kennedy to avoid any conciliation and trade with the Cuban government, resulting in increased hardship for the Cuban people. Their attempts to suppress Guillen's free expression shows that they haven't embraced the virtues that make the US great. They have a lot to learn...............

April 10, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |