April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. Anthony

So much for freedom of speech in America. I'm sure the Cubans, Chinese and the old Russians will be happy to hear that even in America you can’t speak your mind freely.

April 10, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • SomeGuy

Good lord ... you can speak your mind freely. However, speaking your mind publicly as a public representative of your employer and hurting them in the process is grounds to be terminated (or suspended). The government didn't tell them to suspend him. He alienated a large segment of their customer base. If it was your business what would you do?

April 10, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  2. dot8

When you're in America speak English and when you're in Cuba speak Spanish, that way there's no confusion.

April 10, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  3. the law

hay, Cuban's have better health care then us.... as for the suspendtion, thats pretty dumb... I hope I get to fly out there someday....

April 10, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • JerseyBill

Stay there.

April 10, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  4. pam

I don't care if he is talking about Ted Bundy or Hitler. We have freedom of speech in this country, or has that been changed?

April 10, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Asturiano

In any other city we tolerate the First Amendment, but not in Miami if the subject is Castro. Never heard a peep when they supported the blood-thirsty fascist Batista.

April 10, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Informed99

Absolutely ABSURD and the most PATHETIC example of political correctness so far this year. Yes Freedom of speech is not freedom from consequences of speech, but this is the most ridiculous thing I have heard. It smacks of vindictiveness and of pandering to the vocal minority. In the end an organization will do what it needs to in order to protect its image, and throw whomever they need under that bus.

April 10, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  7. sortakinda

Could THIS be THE story that outlasts Trayvon and the Al & Jesse Show? Not much else to cover, I suppose. I heard Derek Jeter belched and didn't excuse himself fast enough for a nearby CNN reporter.

April 10, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  8. JerseyBill

Because they idolize Fidel, should half the d-bags in Hollywood be suspended as well?

April 10, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Raul

land of the free?... yeah... sure

April 10, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  10. emil

This is garbage. I respect Fidel Castro. I'm not saying I agree with everything he's put into place, like his stance on gay people, BUT brutal dictator? No. Cuba as a whole, is safer than most parts of the US. The only people who complain about Castro are the thieves from the Batista regime, who kept the people poor and dependent, except for the criminals. Who ALL uprooted and RUINED Miami, made it into a ghetto dump. Their legacy lives on in the Miami inland where the only people who gain any respect are the criminals, thugs, rapists, who keep the neighborhoods poor and dependent.

LONG LIVE CASTRO!!!!! Better than KEnndey, Better than Reagan, than Bush, Better than OBama!!

April 10, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jackie

Not you or anyone is going to make it believable. Why on earth would people risk their lives to cross the florida straits in old cars....WHY would a country not allow its citizens to travel abroad, afterall if its nice wouldn't they WANT to come back? So no matter how much you talk about the "Great Castro" it cannot be believed.

April 10, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Maria

You have no clue what you are talking about. Cuba is not a country where people are safe. You say the wrong thing against the government and you go to jail without a trial. Furthermore, the Cubans in Miami have brought nothing but wealth to that community. I think you are confusing them with the black or mexican community. The Cuban population is the wealthiest of any immigrant group and has elected officials and CEOs of major corporations within the same generation that immigrated. Get a clue and stop hating on a group that you don't know anything about.

April 10, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  11. sortakinda

Dod anyone who is up in arms notice that Ozzie call Castro an SOB?

April 10, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amused1944

You are very smart to have noticed this 'very' important detail. This man was not showing admiration for Castro as a leader of a country but as one lucky S.O.B. that has figured out how to stay alive. To Latins, S.O.B. is a very serious derogatory thing to say to/or of anyone–Unlike here in the US, where Americans call each other that without blinking an eye. This man is apologizing for his 'unintentional' ofense when he translated this thoughts from Spanish to English. If I were him, I would sue the organization. People who don't understand other cultures are quick to make judgements.

April 10, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jackie

Ozzie is ignorant...just like Sean Penn, Michael Moore, other those congress women that went a few years ago who all talk about how wonderful it is. They go to Potemkin villages and think that life in Cuba is nice...yet they don't question what makes a mother take her children on a shoddy raft through the Florida Straits? Cubans are great...the island is beautiful...the government is suppressive and unbearable

April 10, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

And you are ignoring his words and twisting them to fit your OWN political view.
      He didn't say any bloody thing about life in Cuba, he was commenting on Castro"s longevity.
      Did you miss the part where he called Castro a S O B, or doesn't that fit is with your politcal rant?

April 10, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  13. MrCannuckistan

What ever happened to free speech? We obviously don't know how the conversation turned to politics but if asked a question he should be free to speak his mind. The 1st amendment gives him that right. It's a free country and I suppose the Team has the right to fire him without cause and suffer the consequences, but please, to discipline him for his political views? That smacks of discrimination.

MrC

April 10, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Satan

Didn't you know MLB regulations do not allow players to make political statements? Oh wait that's the military

April 10, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Angel

You summed up everything I wanted to say. Great yet obvious points. Nothing ceases to amaze me anymore. His suspension is absolutely ridiculous.

April 10, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lyn

I agree. I thought the United States was the "Land of the free", where freedom of speech was respected?? I have a lot of trouble understanding how someone's political opinion affects their ability to manage a team!

April 10, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  14. John

Oh no! How dare he express support for a politician!

April 10, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Limbaugh is a liberal

In America we have freedom of speech. You are free to say whatever you want... unless what you say is unpopular. Then you will be suspended from your job and treated as a criminal for the rest of your life.

April 10, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |