April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. Rasta Ozzie

Enough already. Have the cuban exiles living here learned nothing in the past 53 years? If you don't think and say exactly as their designed rhetoric then you must be punished! Is this not the strategy that Fidel Castro has always used? What makes them any different than Castro? Freedom of speech! What Guillen says and does on his personal time has nothing to do with baseball! Why are we giving into these close minded exiles? If they feel so strongly against their dictator then take him out, they have had 53 years.

April 10, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Cathy L

The Cubans win again. Every time they do not like our ways in this country, they become enraged and everyone gives in to them... How much more power are you going to give them? Is not what they are doing similar to a dictatorship...the very same thing they hate? What is next? Are they going to demand that non-cubans should not be allowed in South Florida? The more you give them the more power they have. What in the world happened to our democracy and the majority rule? In Florida, if you aren't Cuban you don't matter

April 10, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • ray

not only again cathy every time..!!! we will always win....we are all there is....

April 10, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jose

WRONG!! OBAMA WON FLORIDA LMAO

April 10, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • hecep

It's all about demographics (and money) for the Marlins who bulked up their team with latin-american players and manager. They made it quite plain that they were going for the Floridian latin-american fans (overall, a growing demographic) and needed to improve current poor-to-mediocre stadium attendance. Yes, the Marlins' response is political, but only because the financials were at stake.

April 10, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Stan

If you don't live in Miami, then you don't understand the fanatical, hysterical anti-Castro sentiment displayed by hard-core right-wingers in the exile community. They're not called the "Miami Mafia" for nothing.

And it just so happens that Cubans are wildly passionate about baseball. If they decide to boycott the team, the Marlins are screwed.

People have been killed for making the kinds of statements that Guillen made.

April 10, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jose

I know lol that's why Ima start going to games lol Cubans need to take over their country. Stop being chickens.

April 10, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. C

This is very absurd. People talk admiringly about George Washington all the time, even though he ordered his slaves to be beaten and reaped the works their labor. You have a right to state your opinion, but if you really are going to say you cannot admire someone at all who has a brutal past, don't admire Washington, and don't express admiration for lots of leaders.

April 10, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  5. sumguy

I'm a born and raised American who married an American woman who's parents immigrated here from Cuba. Because my in-laws are Catholic and did not support the revolution, they lost everything in Cuba. When they decided they wanted to leave and their names came up on the list, my father in-law was taken from his family and thrown in a labor camp for 6 months before they were allowed to leave with nothing but the clothes on their backs. My mother in-law, who had a 6 month old at the time, had no idea where her husband was, or if he was OK for 6 months.
    When you think of Castro, think of story's like this...they are a dime a dozen. He took a great country and turned it to Sh&^, and abused anyone that didn't capitulate completely. He's a waste of skin, and I question anyone's judgement that supports the guy. As for this situation, the Coach probably signed a contract that allows him to be suspended for making this type of political statement while employed by the team. Bad for business, simple as that.

April 10, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • ray

bottom line is dont F with us again down here. This is sparta !!!!

April 10, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jose

ray, get your "spartanass" to cuban and fight castro like a real man, have a real civil war. COWARDS lmao

April 10, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  6. LIstenup3076

True the first amendment is meant to protect you from government sanctions against your speech. I think the spirit of the law is far different. As americans we should be very careful to expect anyone company or private citizen to punish someone for their opinion. If you have no problem with a corporation doing it the next step will be the governmnet. Freedom is not pretty but it does afford you the opportunity to have an opinion. As an american who respects freedom you should be able to hear another persons opinion and agree or disagree be able to have a civil discussion and move on.

April 10, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jeremy

Freedom of speech doesn't exist in Florida, It's like another country down there. When you walk into a Burger King, they take your order in Spanish. When you try to give your order in English the staff become irate. I was told I need to take the time to learn their language... I said I will when I go to Spain, and walked out! There are so many foreigners there that they expect you to learn and follow their ways instead of them adapting to the rules and laws of the US.

April 10, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  8. sbp

Did they stop teaching the Bill of Rights in High School? 99% of you have NO CLUE what the FIRST AMENDMENT MEANS. And apparently, you either refuse to read the hundreds of posts explaining it, or are incapable of understanding it. The level of stupidity here is amazing.

Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech....

DO YOU SEE THE GOVERNMENT INTERVENING HERE? THEN SHUT UP ABOUT FREEDOM OF SPEECH.

April 10, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  9. ray

this is our town our city our rules. You dont show us up here. Ever !!! you dont support that man anywhere especially here. And he knew that. He did that cause he wanted too. He had a good home here. He challanged as all south american like too do the power of cubans here in the u.s. and he found out first hand. The power of this still Fully operational battle station. He though!!! the exiles are dead. ummm....No buddy. Younger generations keep watch too.

We are cuban Americans we number 2 million strong down here. We close ranks on this issue instantly. Against anyone !!
    anybody any nation any goverment any people. This is

sparta !!!!

lloll...........

by tomm he will be out of a job !!!

and the counrty will get a powerfull lesson.

On what being cuban is all about. About the old guard. And especially.......how serious we take this issue down here.

Dont F with us again !!!

carry on...

April 10, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jose

Like i said, get your "spartanass" outta here and go fight castro face to face, you COWARDS. Cutting and running lol Learn something from the arab spring and quit yappin your mouth lol fight man, FIGHT!!! grow some balls.

April 10, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Roberto

Freedom of expression? Is this still the USA? Where does the revered ACLU stand on this? Marlins management is out of line... am I banned from attending games for these thoughts?

April 10, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thomas

Could not agree more with you.

April 10, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul

Freedom of Speech only applies in a public setting to which you are the only speaker and that you are not infringing on the rights of others. In this case, it is considered a private setting and his statement was made as a manager of the baseball team. Had he said those comments in his own home to his family and neighbors, then that is protected speech. It is akin to YOU going to your boss at work telling him he is a jerk. What would your boss do? Probably fire you since you said your speech on private property.

April 10, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thomas

Sorry Paul that does not apply as absolutely as you would claim. First it is very difficult to construe an interview in Time magazine as anything other than public. Furthermore, it is impossible for anyone to reasonably state that he made such a statement as a "Marlins" employee. As far as I know the Marlins have no political agenda. They play sports games. He did not say the "Marlins' feel such as such he said that HE felt a particular way. A person interviewed as he was can not be held to making pronouncements for the company when the interview moves into personal and non work related thoughts or experiences. The interviewer did not ask how the 'Marlins" felt they asks how HE felt. He told them.

April 10, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  11. sbp

Listenup, it's a question of degree, as there is no legal requirement for private citizens or corporations to respect speech they find offensive. At what point is the offended allowed to express their freedom of speech to state that they are offended? At what point is a company allowed to take action against speech that will harm them?

I don't know of companies that fire people for belonging to "the wrong" political party. It's pretty implicit that corporations tolerate most speech that does not impact their operations. But Guillen's comments WOULD impact the Marlin's business.

April 10, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • MrBo

It's not a question of freedom of speech.
      He's not in jail for saying what he said.
      But voicing your opinion can definitely have repercussions, especially is those opinions adversely affect the company you work for...

April 10, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • LIstenup3076

I agree with the rights of the individual to express there disagreement with a comment they find offensive. I think a company being able to sanction you for the same is a very slippery slope. Where does it stop? If my boss is republican and I am democrat can I be fired becuase he saw me at a democrat event. If I work for GM and drive a ford could they say I dont represent the company? I realize these are far less egregious situations as Mr Guillens but once you open the door they never close again.

April 10, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  12. sbp

Roberto, the ACLU would say with no government intervention, Guillen's rights have not been abridged.

April 10, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  13. SSampson

Wow – It certainly wasn't hates speech; it wasn't racist – it was opinion....

A suspension is insane!!! – While I beleive that freedom of speech comes with responsibilities; I agree that the freedom does not permit people to tell lies,slander or promote hate – in THIS case he did absolutely nothing wrong....

While people may not like what he said, everyone should know that this road we are taking is towards the redefining of what freedom of speech represetns...

How can there be freedom when we must choose from a restricted menu?

April 10, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Andrea

II suppose there is no freedom of speech anymore. I should probably be fired from my job for saying I didn't like Bush...

April 10, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  15. italia

Is this some kind of farce? Last time I checked this is The United States of America. People are allowed to express their viewpoint and it shouldn't cost them a suspension on their jobs. He didn't say he 'loved" Castro, or that he hated him. he said "He respected him for his staying power. A lot of people feel that way. Any leader who has been in power that long right or wrong it says a lot and it shouldn't offend people who are fighting against him. I think for this man to have been suspended is just wrong. He should have fought the suspension on the grounds of Freedom of Speech.

April 10, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |