April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. m1

Yet if Mr guillen praised the leadership of Columbia or Mexico which has more internal violence and exports more violence than Cuba he would have total respect.

April 10, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  2. dutspup

HA HA, he nailed it, nothing to apologize for AT ALL, except saying hugo is a hero? are you kidding me.

April 10, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  3. sumguy

Wow, people are so naive! Freedom of Speech only applies to Government action, not private companies.
    If the Marlins have a code of ethics/conduct, which I'm sure they do, you absolutely can be fired for public statements you make that effect the company in any way. Freedom of speech is FAR from absolute, even in the U.S.
    I would question Ozzies judgment for not knowing better.

April 10, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  4. JRZKNIGHT

Props to Castro for maintaining power for the past 60 years. Jeers to the Latin comunity for complaining and not doing something to overthrow him in the past 60 years.

April 10, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cathy L

Amen to that. The Romanians did it. Guess they just had more BA**S!

April 10, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Gary

"Guillen said he showed poor judgement, but not lack of intelligence, with the original Castro comments."

Baseball knowledge/intelligence = High

EVERYTHING ELSE = Total Moron

April 10, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  6. sbp

JOHN, Little Havana isn't more important than the First Amendment, you are just too stupid to understand the First Amendment.

April 10, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Lalo

Wow! All these comments are great. As a Black man from America, to me Ozzie exercised his “right” of free speech, however, in the corporate world like Ozzie is in, you must comply with your contract or they give you your walking papers. I was a manager in such an environment in several capacities. It’s no joke. Comply or fly. Ozzie clearly needs his job to support his family so he is complying to probably honor his family first. I respect this. He did what he had to do. He’s got tried and tested skills. His “masters” that reprimanded him should now be on guard for the first opportunity for him to exit. He can go anywhere. As far as Castro is concerned, he may have caused much pain as a dictator and he does what dictators typically do, but it is hard to argue with success, even if it is not what “America” calls success, he’s still THE MAN even though not by our standards! As an accomplished percussionist myself, in my opinion, some of the baddest percussionists and musicians are from Cuba and Castro is not keeping them down. We American Blacks don’t have an island to return to when the times get tough here in the good old USA. Look at the hell Obama is going thru simply because he is Black where former Presidents did not have to (having to show your birth certificate………..please!). Go head with yo bad self Ozzie! U OK WIT ME!

April 10, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  8. betty

Yes freedom of speech protects you from GOVERNMENT intrusion however, your employer can do whatever he/she pleases. You or I can go on T.V. and call Obama whatever we would like with absolutely no problem, go to work and call you employer an a$$*()&*, see what happens!!!!

April 10, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Shuffler

He should have just put a hit our on someone. Evidently that is ok.

April 10, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Klahn

If the cubans living in the US don't like free speech, they should return to cuba.

April 10, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  11. robert

a manager does not fill the stands but one like ozzie could certainly empty them. so why keep him?

April 10, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  12. zodiac

If Ozzie was latin he would be fired.

April 10, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Abner

What? Ozzie is Latin. He's Venezuelen. Did you mean if he wasn't Latin?

April 10, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Drake

I LOVE FIDEL

April 10, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  14. J R Catt

What is next, carry a rebel flag through Liberty City while shouting "The South Shall Rise Again!!"

April 10, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  15. LIstenup3076

The argument against calling your boss a name is ridiculous. The first amnedment does NOT protect you against slander libel or any speech that incites violence. What Ozzie did is completely different then calling your boss a name.

April 10, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |