April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. Todd in DC

So exactly how does his opinion of Castro harm MLB, which would have to be the reason for the suspension?

Seriously, all he was respecting was Castro's tenacity, not his policies. MLB messed up big time with this.

April 10, 2012 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  2. Julnor

I'm not even sure I have a problem with what he said. He was referring to Castro's staying power, not commenting on the fact that he is a brutal communist dictator. I wouldn't have suspended him.

April 10, 2012 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  3. prk

I do not agree with his opinion but in America he has the right to have one! This is ridiculous that he is suspended for expressing it!

April 10, 2012 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  4. Steven L

You people don't get it!!! He does NOT have the right to freedom of speech as per his MLB contract...Get over it. He is held to MLB standards and rules...PERIOD

April 10, 2012 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  5. Art

Did I hear right? When Mr. Guillen opened his news conference with a statement in Spanish, the CNN talking head remarked that only those "lucky enough to speak Spanish" could understand his statement. LUCKY ENOUGH? I do not speak Spanish. I was LUCKY ENOUGH to be born in this country, where the common language is English. As a resident of South Florida, I am insulted that Mr. Guillen opted to speak directly only to those who speak Spanish, and not to the American people at large.

On another note, however, the suspension of Mr. Guillen for giving an opinion which has nothing to do with his job is "uh-American." Had a Cuban baseball manager made a comment praising President Obama, he might have lost more than just his job, but then again in a Communist Dictatorship the people have to right to free speech.

April 10, 2012 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  6. april

Jack your totally right my friend!

April 10, 2012 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  7. Broncobuster

THIS LOUD MOUTH MORON JUST NEEDS TO KEEP HIS BIG YAP SHUT! HE'S TRYING WAY TOO HARD TO BE BIGGER THAN HIS PLAYERS, THE MARLINS, AND EVEN THE LEAGUE! SUSPEND THE IDIOT EVERY TIME HE SAYS SOMETHING STUPID! OH WAIT, THEN HE WOULD NEVER WORK! ATTA BOY BUD!

April 10, 2012 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  8. Chuck

Hey Ozzie, you're in Florida, STAND YOUR GROUND! They are threating your job!

April 10, 2012 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  9. Bob

I'm done with baseball. A man has a free speech right and the Marlins punish him for using it. You commies can keep the MLB, my family of 6 will never watch baseball !!!

April 10, 2012 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  10. Larry L

We care about Castro because the exiles have a modest level of political clout. Most Americans know nothing of Cuba's revolution beyond what they saw in "The Godfather". The revolution threw out a corrupt, elitist government much like one the Koch brothers et. al. would operate in America if they took control. The rich would do well and everybody else gets the crumbs. It's time to end the ridiculous boycott and treat Cuba like another trade partner. We can no longer spin the globe and find nations in need of our "approval".

April 10, 2012 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  11. Rbud

I don't agree with his statement but..... What ever happened to free speech?

April 10, 2012 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  12. oldbear60

The marlins may be putting up new stadiums , uniforms etc. but they are still practicing the old"appease" the Cuban mafia game. So Castro was/is a putz. So was Batista and a lot of other dictators. This is supposed to be a free country and you have a right to your opinion. From now on my favorite baseball team is ANYBODY playing the Marlins, even the Yankees

April 10, 2012 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  13. sf

what do you expect? he's part of a FLORIDIAN team...welcome to Florida where the STUPID live!

April 10, 2012 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Taking your $

....and the really stupid come to vacation!

April 10, 2012 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  14. JohnReedjr

Although corporations can do what they want with respect to their employees, one would hope that they would express their "personhood" as defined by the supremes by allowing other people to express their opinions as guaranteed by the First Amendment.

April 10, 2012 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  15. Stlchicago

There's no limit of stupid people in the world. And Ozzie continues to join the club. Yes, it's your First Amendment right to say whatever you want. But, the First Amendment does not protect you from others reaction nor does it limit others reaction to what you say. You're employed in a State with the high Cuban population in this country; and you're dumb enough to say you love Castro. I would have fired the cu_lo.

April 10, 2012 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
    • FreeSpeech

F the Cubans !!!! Get OUT go back to your ISLAND ... I am sick of this CRAP !!!!!

April 10, 2012 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
    • SactownJack

He didn't say he loved Castro.

April 10, 2012 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |