April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. Jarhead4life

Cubans need to finally get their heads out of their asses. Its because of them that Castro is still in power after all these years. They are the ones that want the stupid blockade and no travel to Cuba. Had they just shut up, and let anyone go there that wanted to, capitalism would have taken over and pushed Castro out years ago.

April 10, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • jk

That's what the Cubans and the rest of the world were saying during the Bush administration

April 10, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  2. bobby frank-Dallas, TX

You can't say anything about a group of people until you walk in their shoes. That was a pretty stupid comment and hurtful to alot of people. He has to be punished just like a kid cause he should have known better than to make such a stupid comment like that. He's just a big kid still playing a kids game. Grow up and start thinking about others and no so much yourself!

April 10, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Don

once an idi0t, always an idi0t...........enjoy, Miami.

April 10, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Rob

If all you cry babies are going to whine about every little thing you hear. Please walk around with ear plugs and stay away from me. People today are way to sensitive.

April 10, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  5. b

It's very simple, Cuban-Americans have gotten their way for 60 years (!!!). Has it worked? How are the Cuban people doing? There is only one answer. The policy we've used for 60 years (!!!) has FAILED. It has failed the people of Cuba. Cuban-Americans have actually hurt the people of Cuba with their policy over the last 60 years (!!!). If you cared about the Cuban people at least as much as you hate Castro, you would try a new policy. So tell us, which is greater, your hatred for Castro or your love of the Cuban people. You can only pick one answer.

April 10, 2012 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Sam

Thank goodness he lives in the United States. In the USA you can say what you want.. live with the knowledge that you won't be killed because of the color of your skin. You don't have to worry about being arrested without charge or held for a long periode of time without being charged, AND there is no way you will be stripped search for a littering fine.. OHHHH I forgot.. that can and does happen in the USA..

Good thing all those men died to protect your rights..

April 10, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jarhead4life

You can say what you want? REALLY? Did you even read the story??? He made a comment that had nothing to do with baseball and he got suspended for 5 games. That is not freedom of speech. While conditions in Cuba are of course much harsher, they don't have to be. Drop all of the restrictions to Cuba and let big money go in there and get capitalism rolling. Lots of resources there, beautiful beaches and a very greatful work force ready and waiting.

April 10, 2012 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  7. THIS ISNT ABOUT FREE SPEECH

ITS ABOUT THE MARLIN'S MORAL CODE OF CONDUCT. HE WAS NOT REPRIMANDED BY THE GOVERNEMTN, HE WAS REPRIMANDED BY HIS EMPLOYER.

April 10, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jarhead4life

His comments were his own personal beliefs. They had nothing to do with baseball, so the team nor MLB had any right to suspend him for them. So much for free speech. Oh wait, he is in Florida that explains it all.

April 10, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  9. WhatHappened?

Freedom of speech? It's gone.

April 10, 2012 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Hunter

Freedom of speech still exists in this country? Guess not if you say something praising a Communist for staying alive.

April 10, 2012 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • bitorbite

If that is the only reason you can praise a leader for...then the best thing to do would be to zip it.

April 10, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • tffl

It was the Marlins (his employer) that acted. Freedom of speech applies to the government, not your boss. Cost your boss money and you'll find yourself on the sidewalk too...

April 10, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Fightforyourrights

What happened to the first amendment? If he respects Castro for being able to be in power for so long, it is his right to express his opinion and he shouldn't be punished for it either by his workplace or the government.

April 10, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe Smith

You have NO rights anymore, until you learn that – this will continue to happen.

April 10, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Cheryl Jefferies

Cuba? Castro? He should have been suspended for his remarks about Arizona. A state fighting to simply see that the laws on the books are enforced and he excoriates them (of course, so does Obama, so what the heck?!). What he said about Castro is nothing compared to that.

April 10, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  13. LOL

How stupid can you get, I would have more respect for this stupid venezulean if he had stuck to his words. It is sad to see this idiot back pedal from his original statement. Guillen is not only an idiot, he is also a coward.

April 10, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jose

No no, cubans are cowards. they cut and ran from their country and are fighting castro some how from here, they think.

April 10, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  14. John

For those who say "I Love Fidel" I would say one thing to them, renounce your Citizenship and go live over there. Fidel has been a soar in the butt of humanity for over 50 years. He gas gracefully destroyed the lives of many people, has drained the island of its wealth and dignity. Has incarnated and killed thousands…shall I go on? How would the readers react if I say I love Hitler (which I don’t)? Think about it?

April 10, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe Smith

The US has killed millions more people in the name of "security and freedom" then Castro could ever dream of. You know what they say about those in glass houses...

April 10, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Think again

It wasn't Castro that caused Cuba's economic hardships, it was us. Fifty years of sanctions and hostility have taken their toll.

April 10, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

On the bright side, John, Cuba does have a high literacy rate, which you evidently could benefit from. Let the eagle sore.

April 10, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • SSampson

Perhaps – they DO have a higher literacy rate...and a slightly higher life expectancy rate than we do here...But supposedly 'saying' this is a crime....

BTW – in regards to literacy.... it is SORE – not SOAR – INCARCERATED not INCARNATED – I am guessing 'GAS' was a typo...

As for plundering the wealth of the country.... not really true – he kicked out our puppet BATISTA who WAS robbing the country blind and allowing multinationals to pay slave wages.... but hey, no point letting facts interfere with perception..

April 10, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Christian

You have the most unintelligent person in the world if you are comparing Adolf Hitler with Fidel Castro. Castro calls the Jewish people, the most group that has endured the most suffering, what did Hitler say about Jews again?

April 10, 2012 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

The saddest thing to see is someone who, either by ignorance or lack of education, attempts to comment on an issue and uses words unfamiliar to his everyday vernacular. It's "sore" not "soar." It's "incarcerate" not "incarnate." I need to go wash my eyes.

April 10, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  15. jack237

It's a shame that a comment such as this gets you suspended from managing baseball, but saying that poor black children should be employed as janitors doesn't get you suspended from a presidential f@#%ing primary.

April 10, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |