April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. sandpen4

The Marlins were WRONG to SUSPEND GUILLEN. This is still America, THE LAST TIME I CHECKED, and we do have FREEDOM OF SPEECH. But I guess THOSE WITHOUT SIN SUSPENDED GUILLEN. THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT IS WRONG WITH OUR WORLD, WE HATE FAR TOO MUCH. GUILLEN YOU HAD ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO APOLOGIZE FOR. YOU DID EXACTLY WHAT JESUS INSTRUCTED YOU TO DO. FORGIVE SEVENTY TIMES SEVEN.

April 10, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul

@sandpen4 – please fix your "caps lock".

April 10, 2012 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • JR

WIth all due respect, there is no Jesus in the religion of Baseball. Otherwise I agree.

April 10, 2012 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • gremlinus

I can't believe so many people have no idea what "freedom of speech" actually means.

April 10, 2012 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. The Real Tom Paine

Ozzie has the right to free speech, but it shows an amazing level of ignorance on his part to say that when the team he manages is located in the city with the bulk of the Cuban emigre population. He needs to edit his words, something he has now hopefully learned ( a skill he never learned in Chicago). All the same, its a pity that a group that still enjoys favored status in this country ( thanks to Castro) is able to dictate to others what they can say and feel. As the son of immigirants, I also find it annoying they still get to become citzens in 1 year instead of 5, and they are given green cards without virtually any questions asked.

April 10, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Sandy

Suspend him for remarks he made about a private view? This is as wrong as anything. Castro might do the same thing. Think like you are told to think, or risk losing your job? Ridiculous. Cuban American sensitivites aside, Castro did overthrow a very repressive dictator, supported by the U.S. He brought education and healthcare to millions of poor peasants with no hope. If conditions are bad in Cuba it is in part due to the US blockade that has limited investment and growth in that country, even while we accord Communist Viet Nam and China, favored nation status. It's hypocritical and wrong. This man has nothing to apologize for. He's right. Castro is a survivor and while his government is repressive, it is no more so than dozens of countries around the world. This is America, however, and a man has a right to speak his opinion without risking losing his job!

April 10, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Tina

So if you disagree with the U.S.' stance on Cuba, you get suspended? No one can voice an opinion contrary to the big American machine? In my books, that makes the U.S. and the MLB as restrictive as Cuba! Ridiculous!!

April 10, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • mensarino

I agree with you 100%. I can't believe that such a suspension can be upheld.

April 10, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Charles

He's bending over for the gusanos? Hahahahahaha! They own him!

April 10, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  6. James

First of all, it's quite feasible for something to have been lost in translation. The idiot reported behaved irresponsibly and self-servingly by going with what was probably a misquote.

Secondly, there's no reason for a baseball manager to be on the record on a political matter, but I get that the reporter was probably trying to get a "personal" angle.

Thirdly, and most importantly, for those who are "offended" you have to ask yourself who is in control of your emotions. You? Or Coach Guillen? Coach Guillen's remarks will not result in any harm to anyone's community.

Fourth. There are multiple sides to every story. Not everybody views other countries the way Americans do. We love America. Some people in other countries hate America. They have their reasons. Venezuela and Cuba have a very different relationship than America and Cuba. Guillen is Venezuelan. His views are likely colored by his experience, the way yours is colored by yours.

Additionally, the quote is obviously taken way out of context. Guillen should have more media savvy ... especially given the nature of his job ... but he was not expressing support for the Castro regime. He was merely expressing surprise that Mr. Castro has survived for so long, and noting his longevity in power despite serious obstacles to that longevity.

Finally, the apology was a real apology imbued with genuine contrition. He said it. Folks got mad. He apologized. Let's move on.

April 10, 2012 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  7. eagle11

Isn't it sad that Ozzie became a citizen voluntarily of a country that has no freedom of speech. Someone is always going to be offended, get over it. This politically correct crap has got to go. The Marlins management should be ashamed of themselves along with the MLB commissioner. This isn't about anything other than $$$$$, they don't want to lose sponsors. Greed at it's finest.

April 10, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • eagle11

Well said eagle11, now stop it, you might offend someone.

April 10, 2012 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • sparky

you're a fvcking idiot

April 10, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • eagle11

now, now, sparky.....lol

April 10, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Bates

What's the big friggin deal!?!?! Why is everyone so uptight about EVERYTHING?

April 10, 2012 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Zac

Wait...so by voicing his opinion about a communist dictator he gets suspended...how is that not irony? lol

April 10, 2012 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • sqeptiq

He didn't get suspended for having an opinion; he got suspended for having the "wrong" opinion. If he had said Castro was a terrible person no one would have said a word.

April 10, 2012 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  10. usa john

when is it time to stop this bashing of Cuba, this has been going on for so long, we support vacations to Viet Nam, where we lost thousands of our men and women. what kind of threat is Cuba today? and what ever happendto free speech, you can say anything you want, but you will be fired if someone dosent agree with you, I miss George Carlin. the last voice of free speech

April 10, 2012 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Duane Thomas

be smart enought to stay away from commenting on certain things , people today have no common sense , Miami owners made a bad decision here gambling with Ozzie wasn not a good idea he's a accident waiting to happen

April 10, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Andre

haven't thousands of young American military personnel just die or get wounded in Iraq and Afghanistan to bring democracy there which I thought also meant Freedom of Speech and YET, not in your own country, even if it goes against the beliefs of a small minority of Americans. How Strange

April 10, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • JamieJ

Seriously...the man gets suspended and has to beg for forgiveness because he expressed an opinion??? We used to look to the USA to be a bastion of freedom and free speech. Not any more. Do you remember the moment when you gave up that freedom America?

April 10, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • @youignantdotcom

I find it hard to believe you have truly "free speech" in your place of employment either.

April 10, 2012 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • JH

Last I checked, he hasn't been charged. He still has freedom of speech. Freedom of speech is about being free government punishment. It doesn't mean you can say whatever you want and be free from the consequences at your employer. His employer hired him as a direct appeal to the Hispanic community in Miami, of which there are many Cubans. They have every right to suspend him if they choose. Can any of you say anything you want at your place of employment? To your employer's customers?

April 10, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  13. markiejoe

What I want to know is, if Guillen had been political in the other direction and said that he despised Castro and everything he has done as the leader of Cuba, would he have received a five game suspension also?

April 10, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  14. JR

Communist fascist are laughing at America saying "LOOK HOW THEY TREAT THEIR SO-CALLED LIBERTY! THEY ARE NO LESS FASCIST THAN WE ARE!! HAHAHA!!"

April 10, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • RH

Then I went down the block and bought a loaf of bread,,, :/
      try again...

April 10, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • terre08

Learn the difference between fascists and communists.

April 10, 2012 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • JHL

"communist fascists"? Put down the long neck and read the First Amendment or find a video explaining it.

April 10, 2012 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Malavaina

What ever happened to the freedom of speech?

April 10, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • AW

Since when does freedom of speech apply to private organizations?

April 10, 2012 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |