April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. advocatusdiaboli

The zealous anit-Castro ex-pat Cuban rich who got booted out with Bautista because of their greedy excesses are holed up in Miami and put pressure on the team to do this. It's because of them we never made peace with a tiny nation we tried to even invade, yet we've made peace with Vietnam, China, and Russia with far worse records. Hypocrisy at it's finest.

April 10, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  2. BOB

Yawn.

April 10, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Christopher Rose

Wow. It appears the Cuban Exiles wish to set up the same kind of dictatorship they claim to be fleeing. If you speak well of the wrong thing or you don't suck up to the right opinion they will shut you down. All this does is reinforce the image of the Floridian Cuban Exiles of being the wealthy elite that used to rule the island simmering becasue their peasant serfs dared to rebel.

April 10, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  4. phillybear

Might as well burn the declaration of indepedance because it might offend a small group of immigrants.

April 10, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Don

Suspend a guy who spoke freely; but, do nothing to a guy who cheated & used banned substances?? Oh, and who also happens to be the reigning MVP...this game's administration and bureaucracy is seriously flawed!!

April 10, 2012 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  6. piece

It is ironic that cubans, who come here for freedom, feel free to take away the freedom of speech for others.
    Where was basebol when it chose to play its All-Star game in Arizona, where Hispanic Americans are being stopped and asked for citizenship "pape-ajs." Oh, basebol you are truly amazing. America's naptime.

April 10, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. concordantmind

Navigating these blog comments is impossible.

April 10, 2012 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  8. mtb312000

I'd venture to say that most of the comments here show a fundamental misunderstanding of what exactly the First Amendment is. And I'd venture to say that with the electorate goes the country – hence, us...

April 10, 2012 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  9. mojo

Amazing how many people think this goes under free speech....morons.......I can freely tell my boss I hate him and his company, and he can then freely fire me for saying it...PERIOD! Free speech jargon does not apply to the employee-employer relationship.

April 10, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  10. David Crosby

I doubt Bud Selig cares but I'm done going to Dodger games or Rockies games and I just cancelled a trip to Disneyworld for 9 people that cost Florida a little bit..I hope others follow...

April 10, 2012 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • JHL

Touring with Stills and Nash?

April 10, 2012 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  11. BoricuaTex

Apparently, in baseball they live by the same rules as in Cuba. No freedom of speech unless you kiss right-wing republican Cuban exiles in the pucker. What a shame!

April 10, 2012 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jay

What a sad commentary on freedom of speech in this country! I cant believe he was suspended over these comments. What a crock!

April 10, 2012 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • CP in FL

Jay – Freedom of speech means that the government cannot arrest an individual for their speech. It does not mean a person can say whatever they want without repercussions from their employer.

April 10, 2012 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jeff

So....this man is being punished for sharing his opinion and thoughts.....is that not the same thing that those that are calling for his punishment cliam Castro does to his political opponents....irony.

April 10, 2012 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  14. majicmahon

Oly in America...I should say...the USA- (leave Canada out of this) can a guy like Limbaugh and Beck get away with so much more hurtful expressions to so many more people and yet, a stupid comment..or was it? I respect Castro for what he has been able to do with so little. Remember, there isn't another country that has has American sanctions on them for so long. Not to say assassination attempts on a leader. This is one thing I can't stand about the hypocracy of the US Gov't. Cubans who starve there are a result of these sanctions. People are starving in the USA too. Capitalists don't care.

April 10, 2012 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Doc

He called it the worst mistake of his life. With his mouth constantly in motion like it is, that's a pretty significant list to head up. What a tool. I'm just glad I don't have to see him in the AL Central any more.

April 10, 2012 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |