April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. Don Jones

Castro should be respected for freeing Cuba of the Mafia-USA subjugation. If not for half witted USA diplomacy, we would have relations with Cuba today. Miami is filled with Batista bum smoochers who have had way too much influence for far too long. Ozzie has nothing to apologize for. I guess free speech doesn't apply in Miami.

April 10, 2012 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mike

Perhaps not a diplomatic thing to say, but too bad we live in a society where a man has to be suspended from his job for an expression of free speech in a democratic society. So what if he admires some aspects of Castro's life? Castro has many shortcomings as a leader and humanitarian, but many see him as an improvement over the corrupt Baptista regime, supported by organized crime and our government, which he replaced. He kicked most of the corrupt wealthy leeches and oppressors out of the country, perhaps something America should consider now as the under-taxed rich get richer as the nation's poor end elderly continue to get screwed!

April 10, 2012 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • CP in FL

Mike – free speech does not mean that you can say whatever you want without being disciplined by your employer. Freedom of speech only means that the government cannot arrest an individual for their speech, it has nothing to do with a private organization.

April 10, 2012 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Joe

Ozzie is a baseball player. Brilliant.
    If you can, study that countenance for a moment. Now, what do you expect?! The guy has a right to his opinion and you have the right to remove yourself and your family from this grotesque, vacuous, vulgar spectacle that contributes nothing of lasting positive value to your life. You may want to take the opportunity and do the same with the infinitely sleazy Hollywood crowd of ‚Äústars‚ÄĚ who, in between dope, alcohol, and myriad outrageous depravities, still find some consolation with admiring some leftist criminal every now and then. Ozzie and the likes of him have the right to their opinion, just like you have the right to ignore them and to switch off the boob tube.

April 10, 2012 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • PraiseTheLard

I suppose you'd prefer that everyone limit their enthusiasm to right-wing dictators like Pinochet?

April 10, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Smako

So why is it that we can have China make everything from major appliances and computers to fake dog poo but we can't even buy sugar from Cuba? China is an evil facist dictatorship that kills or imprisons their detractors, Cuba is an evil facist dictatorship that kills or imprisons their detractors. Why is China the favored dictatorship?

April 10, 2012 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. winstonsmith

Though I'll be the first to say that freedom of speech means the government can't do anything, not that your employer can't fire you, so this ISN'T a freedom of speech issue, still... who cares what he thinks? He should be allowed to have whatever opinion he wants. The United States allies itself with many terrible dictators (Islam Karimov, Yoweri Museveni) where's the outrage there? Both Karimov and Museveni are far worse than Castro. Why are Americans so scared of communism, it's a failed system that fails itself. There's no reason to fear it. What we should fear is laissez-faire capitalism which leads to tyranny in the 21st century (a world where corporations can have more power than governments), and we should focus on CHECKS AND BALANCES. You know, what divides us from "communists" and dictatorships, right?

April 10, 2012 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  6. ug

Now you will keep you pie hole shut huh boy! LOL!

April 10, 2012 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  7. FHTEX

Guillen fired for priasing Castro ... a top model fired for saying the Ghadafi family was just a normal family ... a British member of the upper house resigned for criticizing Israel? I thought we were free in the West ... I guess that's why we have to respond anonymously on all of these comment blogs!.

I'll one-up Guillen ... despite over 50 years of U.S. sanctions, Cubans have been at peace, unlike all other nations in Central America except Costa Rica. And, I would still rather be poor in Cuba than any other nation in Central America, except for Costa Rica.

April 10, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Sam Roth

He gets drunk after every game? Yikes. I hole he doesn't get cirrhosis.

April 10, 2012 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  9. MannyHM

If you have enough wealth and fame, be extra careful what you say especially if you can be easily disposed of.
    If you are beyond famous and notorious enough, you can even question the birth of the U.S. President and get away with it like Donald Trump.

April 10, 2012 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Sam

This fellow is dumb as a door knob. You don't make those statements when your office is in the middle of Little Havana in Little Cuba – i.e., Miami – SW 8th Street and LeJeune Road! Yes, I am not a fan of Fidel Castro, but neverthesless I have always wondered how one could hold on to a dictatorship of such a small region when so many big countries like Soviet Union crumbled and ended their Communism. This fellow used slightly different words thats all.

April 10, 2012 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  11. jenky

Speaking as a Cuban American, knowing Cuba's history and knowing full well what Castro has done, it boggles me that Guillen should receive such a "harsh" punishment for something that is true. For all the horrible things Castro has done, he has still been able to 1. captivate an audience with his words and 2. hold on his power for the last 60 years!

April 10, 2012 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ryan Beem

So much for having freedom of speech...

April 10, 2012 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • joecool

we've all lost our freedom of speech, here in America.What ever happened to "sticks and stone may break my bones but words can never hurt me." it's time to loosen up. You want to fire a person because he said something that's against you belief,not cause he hurt you.GROW UP ALREADY!!!

April 10, 2012 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Keyser

Everyone is so sensitive. With all the Cubanos playing here, Castro should have seasons to every stadium!

April 10, 2012 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Bryan Jon

So much for freedom of speach...

April 10, 2012 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • ToxicTexan

Whatever happened to freedom of speech? You don't have to like what he said but it should be respected as his opinion

April 10, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • George

Isn't it great that MLB and baseball teams are now censoring free speech. Did they forget about the 1st Amendment of the Constutution?

April 10, 2012 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • aspblopm

freedom of speech protects from actions of the Government. That's it.

April 10, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Andrew26

Miami Cubans are obsessed with Castro like Jews are with Hitler. Move on. Here, I'll help you pack.

April 10, 2012 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  15. piece

In other news, the U.S. today signed energy and shipping deals with the Chinese and Russians. Later, how the Cuban embargo is holding up.

April 10, 2012 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |