April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. CheBravo!

He is also wrong saying that politics has nothing to do with sports. That's why his butt is suspended. When you play pro sports, your freedom of speech plays second to representing the establishment.

April 10, 2012 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  2. BinaryTruth

Wow. Imagine what would happen if he actually did something wrong.

April 10, 2012 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Montecore

Sorry Ozzie, you are not allowed to have an opinion or express it. What an awesome nation the US has become...

April 10, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  4. doe22us

People defending Ozzie, its so easy when you are not on the other side of the fence, when you literally had to escape persecution or be killed,people who had relatives, family members, friends killed by Castro. Oh yes it is easy to defend Ozzie. If you dont know much about Cuban geo-political history please do us all a favor and stfu.

April 10, 2012 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • ToxicTexan

Not really caring about Cuban history. That's for Cuban's to worry about. I'm concerned about American's and their rights to free speech which are being trampled in the name of being politically correct.

April 10, 2012 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  5. brian

Castro was never a bad person, our government labeled him that after he refused to cooperate, and then the american public jumped on board because the public is ignorant. We have the freedom of speech as long as you don't say what you're not supposed to. what a crock of crap. any time someone in another country doesn't give in to our demands, regardless of how unjustified our demands might be, we label them a terrorist and then the public buys into it and supports a unjust war.

April 10, 2012 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Charles F. Johnson Sr.

This message is for brian. First, how old are you? Next, you need to find out some facts about Cuba past and present then you can spout off! Speaking of ignorant, brian you should look in the mirror!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 10, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  6. brian

if you live in america boy you better be gung ho and agree with everything the government tells you or you will be fired from your job and hunted down like a witch by the willfully ignorant public.

April 10, 2012 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Airyc

Just end the embargo. What purpose is it really serving anyway?

April 10, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mork

great. now I have to hate the Marlins too. Freeedom of speeeeeeeech??!! NOT!

April 10, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  9. jimbo

His biggest mistake was to take the job in the cesspool of Miami.

April 10, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Nellore Venkataraman

Guillen said nothing wrong. Let the cuban lobby go to hell!!!!

April 10, 2012 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Quincey9

I don't agree with his politics and think that Castro is pretty much an a-s$ whole who has ruined countless lives, but I don't see anything wrong with expressing his opinions... and it has NOTHING to do with baseball anyway. It was the wrong venue to do so, but he has every right. This IS America... right?

April 10, 2012 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • George

There are clear consequences for taking a stand against a US government policy. Speak against the US government and find your job and your wife's job on the line. We don't torture you directly, we just send you to a low income area where you will be beaten!

April 10, 2012 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Evskie

George this has nothing to do with the U.S. goverment and everything thing to do with MLB and its fans. Nice try though!

April 10, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • apstar

That's exactly the point - what he said has nothing to do with baseball. Baseball players should just shut up about anything except baseball, and the same goes for actors mouthing off about anything not involving their niche of the entertainment world. What does a baseball player or actor have in terms of credibility involving Cuban politics? At least when politicians put their feet in their mouths, in generally costs them an election.

April 10, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • tom

As a person who has lived for 25 years in South Florida, I can say that the cuban exile community are a bunch of hypocrites. They claim to be all for freedoms but God help you if in Miami you dare to disagree with them. They will passionately attack you without mercy. They are little better than the Castro brothers they despise, when it comes to respecting differing points of view.

April 10, 2012 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mac11

Yes, it is America, but when you work for an organization, then say something that shames that organization, they have every legal right to fire, censure or suspend you. If you do not agree with their rules, you should not join that organization. He joined and must follow their rules or else.

April 10, 2012 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Ryan Beem

Next... we round up all the communist sympathizers and put them in concentration camps.... That'll be real American!

April 10, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ryan Beem

and likely all our names are going down on the list!

April 10, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Felipe Lopez

Somebody has their panties up in a bunch. Apology not accepted nor expected, for a man speaking his opinion and the truth.

April 10, 2012 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Charles Hilton

I am sick and tired of every person in the public eye having to backpedal and apologize in our allegedly "free" society. And I would have much more respect for Guillen if he stood by his comments like a man instead of backing down like a wuss. So much for his being a tough guy.

April 10, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Quincey9

here, here.

April 10, 2012 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  15. VoiceOfReason

??? All he seems to have said is that he had to hand it to a guy who had escaped assassination for SIX DECADES. That's no small feat, ESPECIALLY when you consider one of the assassins was the USA! Politics be damned, you have GOT give the man some credit for that!!!

April 10, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • bitorbite

You know they say..if you dont have something good to say about someone..then you do have the right to not say anything at all....but maybe that is how true Americans do it.

April 10, 2012 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |