April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. gdaym8

This is a perfect example of "freedom of speech" being taken away from us...

April 10, 2012 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • TheMovieFan

No, it is not an example at all. On your own, please figure out why it is not.

April 10, 2012 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trader Al

Absolutely Agree. He has the full Freedom of Speech and he can say and do whatever he wants....WAIT!! wow! it appears that the fans, members of the community, Cuban and other Latin American communities offended by his statements also have the same freedom of Speech??? and are voicing it???? what a concept!!! at the end the day the Miami Marlins Organization will have to decide what costs more and what hurts more....Tickets anyone?

April 10, 2012 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cecilia

With havin so much content and aleicrts do you ever run into any issues of plagorism or copyright infringement? My site has a lot of completely unique content I've either authored myself or outsourced but it seems a lot of it is popping it up all over the internet without my authorization. Do you know any techniques to help stop content from being stolen? I'd really appreciate it.

July 11, 2012 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  2. granitethunder

Apparently you can't speak badly of a dictator who practiced murder, oppression, and the denial of human rights for 50 years, especially if one is associated with MLB. Hmmm who's right of free speech was denied in this case?

April 10, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  3. CBkd

I find it sad that he has been suspended for saying he respects Fidel Castro, but if he say he thought the President of the US was an idiot there wouldn't have been a problem.

April 10, 2012 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jim Klimaski

Guillen was correct in saying Fidel Castro deserves a lot of respect. There have been many positive changes on the Island since the revolution began. More changes to come as the revolution continues. Compared to the U.S., Cuban standard of living still has some way to go, but compared to the other islands and Central American countries, the Cuban people have a higher standard of living.

April 10, 2012 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Pilgrim1

Totally disagree with Ozzie, but doesn't he have every right to voice his opinion?

This boils down to pressure from Cuban Americans and MLB, and the need to protect ticket sales; and that is not reason enough to limit his freedom.

April 10, 2012 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  6. sam

Pretty ironic that someone in the USA punished in his career for remarks unrelated to his career.

April 10, 2012 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  7. clarke

Maybe it is me, but what was so bad about his comment. I thought it had a bit of humor to it. I guess I am sick and twisted.

April 10, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  8. PorkNBeans

The good old USA at work.
    Wasn't suspending him exactly what they accuse Castro of doing?
    Thought so.
    The only problem with this incident is that he apologized. Cuba isn't that bad. People from every other country on the face of the earth travel there every day.

April 10, 2012 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Denser

Really? If saying "I respect Fidel Castro" is "the biggest mistake (Guillen has) made in (his) life so far" then he's quite the role model. Seriously, Cuban-Americans are the most over-represented political demographic in America. Sixty plus years of isolation and embargo and guess what... Castro is still there. As Mel Allen (TWIB) would say "how about that!"

April 10, 2012 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Naji

Respect for they enemy can never be a bad thing. Means you've taken the time to understand their postion and also analyze their mistakes. I think his apology is wrong. Castro is to be respected. Just like any other successful person. However, doesn't mean you have to love or adore them.

April 10, 2012 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Caiha

I'm certainly no Castro fan, but suspending him for saying that? Frankly it sounded like a blue collar humor style joke, you know, respecting a guy who can be an collosal dbag and get away with for six decades. Considering baseball is a blue collar sport, you'd think they'd have gotten that it was a joke. Also, even if he meant it, which I highly doubt, First Amendment anyone?

April 10, 2012 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • teacher

What you and so many others commenting on this article seem to not understand about the 1st amendment (AKA freedom of speech) is that it only prohibits the government from surpressing speech. The whole idea of the 1st amendment is that in a marketplace of ideas, the best ideas will win out while those that are "stupid" or "politically incorrect" or "offensive" will be shouted down, criticized and/or punished by the citizens who hear them.

April 10, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • magnetar

I agree. Seriously, suspended for comments that have nothing to do with baseball....ridiculous. People have a right to their opinion. Joking or not, shouldn't matter. He has a right to speak his mind. And he does have a point. Castro, regardless how he's treated people through out his life, HAS managed to stick around. That's not Ozzie's fault. He stated a fact and perhaps misspoke in his delivery of the comment. Being PC has been over the top for too long.

April 10, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Time

Caiha, and that be sincere and down to Earth.

April 10, 2012 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  12. j williamson

Once again political correctness rules the day in the USA! I can recall a time when freedom of speech actually meant something in America and most people respected this idea even if they didn't necessarily agree with what was said.

April 10, 2012 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • maggotfist

Hyper Political Correctness,...THE NEW FASCISM.

April 10, 2012 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rich

Here is yet another example of free speech losing to political correctness.

April 10, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • magnetar

100% agree. It's so ridiculous in sports too. Someone makes a "mistake" with regard to something they say and what do we get in return? We get the canned PC speech with an insincere apology (not saying Ozzie was insincere – just speaking in general). People are not perfect. People will say something that comes out wrong or not the way they intended. We can't hold people to a standard of perfection. Everyone makes mistakes. That's how we learn.

April 10, 2012 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  13. rjolay

Another American punished for having his own opinion... so much for free speech in Repub land.

April 10, 2012 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  14. maggotfist

Hyper Political Correctness,...THE NEW FASCISM

April 10, 2012 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Mitzie

Wow...cannot believe that this man is being punished for this. He gave an opinion....he did not join Castro's party! How ridiculous.

April 10, 2012 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |