April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. Crystal

Yeah. Isn't this a FREE country???!!!! Or is it just free for some people depending on what career you have...???

April 10, 2012 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  2. TGW

That the way Castro do to his opponents. That the way American Cubans act, they are the same. Castro rules in Cuba, old rich exiled rule in Little Havana, Miami.

April 10, 2012 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • cubansareillegals

You are absolutely right!!

April 10, 2012 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Scott

Cuban Americans LMFAO. This is all you need to know to know you don't want to be a Republican. What a bunch of losers. These are people Castro wouldn't even take.

April 10, 2012 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Love Being An Independent Woman

Proof that ALL Cuban Americans are Republican. You sound like a bitter old man ..............oh, AND a Democrat terminal moaner.

April 10, 2012 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. cubansareillegals

Why do you have to apologize to a bunch of illegals. Cuban come to this country in boats and start living on welfare. Let them boycott the Marlins. They are a minority anyways and they don't go to the stadium. Remember how empty the stadium is in Florida? Cubans want to take over the country and destroy it, like when they did during the real dictatorship of Fulgencio Batista.

April 10, 2012 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jose

You area complete idiot. Please if you have not done so already, do not have off spring. Thanks

April 10, 2012 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  5. mariosphere

I don't see why he was suspended for speaking his mind. Lots of other players in other sports say much worse things and they still keep their jobs.

Too bad Selig chose to bend over to some of the Cuban Americans who play the victim card. They should be grateful they found a country that welcomed them. So how is their "suffering" compounded or made worse by a guy who says "I respect Fidel Castro, he's been governing Cuba for decades"? I fail to see the logic, except for pandering to a sector of the population.

And to the misinformed "Cubansareillegals", be quiet. You know next to nothing.

April 10, 2012 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Love Being An Independent Woman

Marioshere – THAT is what I call a good post. Cheers!

April 10, 2012 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • mariosphere

Thank you thank you.

April 10, 2012 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  6. CLAUDIO POLLERO

Is ok men, relax, you were being candid and outspoken and that is fine... no worries dude life goes on and in two weeks nobody remembers you..

April 10, 2012 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  7. martin

The man didn't say he admired communism, or heaven forbid he admired socialism, or that he thought the healthcare system in cuba was superior to the one in the US. All he said was he in awe of the guy's staying power. all of those right wing cuban americans in florida should be grateful for freedom of speech, not trying to hamper it.

April 10, 2012 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  8. PraiseTheLard

So... Tim Thomas insults the President of the U.S. and suffers no consequences... but this is so objectionable as to result in a suspension?

April 10, 2012 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Love Being An Independent Woman

A serious question from an Irish person – Are ALL Americans a bunch of divas? CNN put a load of rubbish up every day and out you come as regular as clockwork; moan, grumble, abuse, more moans! Don't you have jobs; a life; friends; a hobby?
    I swear you'd cause a riot in an empty room!

April 10, 2012 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • JeffB

As a matter of fact, we ARE a bunch of divas. And moaning and grumbling is our job, our hobby, our way of life . . . and we're proud of it! And who except an American could cause a riot in an empty room? USA!!! USA!!! USA!!!

April 10, 2012 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Moronmor Gadfly

Despite half of his citizens despising him, and living right next door to the world's greatest super power/military, Castro managed to hold on to power for 6 decades. That is a pretty impressive feat. I wonder if I will be fired from my job tomorrow for saying that? Or if Cubans will boycott the company I work for? Probably, because people no longer think that this is a free country except for them. America is now the "you are free to share my opinion" country.

April 10, 2012 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Time

The whole USA should be suspended from the Milky Way for the nation's accepted past demoralization of its own black athletes and citizens for being themselves.

April 10, 2012 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Norm

For being ignorant thugs?

April 10, 2012 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • scranton

Quit being such a drama queen. What a dolt.

April 10, 2012 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  12. ready

Thats all he said? He respects castro? REALLY? Thats what people are outraged about? No wonder we can't have trade with Cuba fringe rageists flipping out over minor nothings like that. Chill out Cubans.

April 10, 2012 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  13. John Galt Ramirez

This is AMERICA. Freedom of Speech. Who cares whether this guy likes Castro or not? The Miami Cuban community needs to take a chill pill. Btw, as a Puerto Rican I could care less.

April 10, 2012 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  14. johnny

you gotta be kidding me , suspending him for using his right of free speech, lets get this right those offended cubans left cuba because they could"nt have such privilages as the freedom of speech thats just wrong you people are mentally weak!!!!!!

April 10, 2012 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian

he is a baseball manager. he is an ex player. im glad we put so much into his opinion outside of baseball. Give the man a break people, he will take his 5 games suspension and move on but the 100 or so people wont be happy until they have his head. get over it and move on.

April 10, 2012 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  15. jerry

America is the greatest, freest country on earth. Unlike that commie place, Cuba, in American we have the God given right to say anything our employer allows us to say.

April 10, 2012 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobby

what happened to freedom of speech ? for real ? all atheletes are expected to have the exact same political ideals , foreign policy ideals as well . gimme a break YOU who supsended him are un american. Besides he didnt say I LOVE castro he said he respected him. Big deal if he did say the later , free country free speech.

April 10, 2012 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |