April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. Norm

This is just stupid. Is Castro a menace that the world will be better without? Sure. But the reaction to Ozzie's comments is just silly. Its like the Sandusky child molestation case. Sure what he did was wrong, but do we really have to run around acting like we're more against it than the next guy?

April 10, 2012 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • GJ Joe

I think its even a stretch to call Castro a "menace".

I know he's repressive in his own country...but he's no threat to any foreign nations.

April 10, 2012 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. joshua barnes

so much for freedom of speech.....free until they don't like what you say.. so what that the guy likes Castro...i like cuban cigars and cuban food..terrible that this has to happen. give the guy a raise not a suspension. you are allowed to be a commie if you want to be...just saying!

April 10, 2012 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  3. triman666

Well so much for freedom of Speech. We may not liek what the man says but this is the United States and he has a right to say it. If you take away the freedom of speech from one man you take it away for all. Makes us no better than Cuba, Venezuela, Iran, China and 100 other countries. We are supposed to be the bastion of democracy and freedom. This action is just sad.

April 10, 2012 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Aaron

Can someone get suspended for saying "I like Obama" or "I like Cheney"? If the answer is yes then justice was served.

April 10, 2012 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  5. larry,oakland,ca

This is just wrong – You can agree or not with his opinion of Castro. He should have the right to speak his opinion.

April 10, 2012 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • whatahit

What idiot would say that about Fidel Castro when his team represents a city with 30% Cuban Americans. It would be like the Yankees coach saying he respected Hitler. He may technically have the right to say it, but I would guess that he just cut his audience by about 75%. He hasn't heard the last of it. You DON'T insult your majority audeince and expect to survive with career intact. He has nothing between his ears!

April 10, 2012 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jerry

Ozzie did not explain himself well , sounds to me like he is a COMMIE LOVER ?

April 10, 2012 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Micook

Anybody who knows of Ozzie Guillen before this quote would know he says stupid $h!+ all the time! And I believe he meant to say he is in awe that the whole world has been waiting 50+ years for Fidel Castro to die from natural causes instead of taking a bullet to the head!

April 10, 2012 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  8. jaimeh

At this time, boycott the Marlins sounds right ...if just to show their "management" how many supporters they REALLY have ...

April 10, 2012 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  9. whatahit

I was born and raised in Miami. In the late 1950s when the Cubans began fleeing to Miami, and a better life in America, they came with nothing. Everything wa taken away by Castro. I remember our next door neighbors had their store taken away by Castro and they left with nothing. Castro took everything but the clothes on their back. Many of my friends were refugees and I know first hand the trauma of fleeing their country and having everything you've worked so hard for taken away by a nut job with a quest for power. So there is a history there for most Cubans in Miami. It was not appropriate for Guillen to say what he did, anymore than it would be appropriate to say that he respected Hitler. Yes, we have freedom of speech, but we also have compassion and respect for our fellow Americans. Freedom of speech does not give anyone a right to hurt others. There are just some things you don't verbalize.

April 10, 2012 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  10. micook

I'm in awe that 50 years ago, JFK took a bullet with his name on it, and today, the world is waiting for Fidel Castro to die from Natural Causes!

April 10, 2012 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Time

The Boss upstairs cartoon.

April 10, 2012 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  11. kmac

So much for the freedom of speech. Sounds like something Castro would have done.

April 10, 2012 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kirk

Freedom of speech pnly refers to the government, not one's employer.

April 10, 2012 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • kotter

Congrats. Your country is now completely broken.

April 10, 2012 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • tomicT

well, when you hurt the Marlins' ticket sales....you gotta suffer the consequences! The Marlins don't care about freedom of speach or what have you.....it's ticket sales! TICKET SALES!

April 10, 2012 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  12. david

Thats terrible. This guy was fired as a football coach for expressing a political opinion???? Are we getting sicker as a society or what

April 10, 2012 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Regis990

What article are you reading?

April 10, 2012 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Kyle H. Davis

I'm not a big supporter of Castro, by any stretch of the imagination... however...

Isn't this America we are talking about? Crucify the guy in the press all you want, but suspended because of THAT?

We are talking about Castro... While some might place him into the category of "monster", would this guy have been suspended for saying the same thing about say... the Chinese government?

April 10, 2012 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Cristobal

Guillen is employed by the Marlins.

He has the right to freedom of speech, just like we all do.

But if I say something to upset my employer or shareholders at my company, then I should be prepared to suffer the consequences.

Miami has a substantial Cuban population and a majority Latno populations, many who have fled Castro like governments in Nicaragua or Venezuela. He should have known that as a Manager of a team in MIAMI of all places his comments would be upsetting to most people.

April 10, 2012 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Time

Cris, Ozzie should of just said it in Spanish...

April 10, 2012 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jenny

Freedom of speech is a pillar of American society, and spreading it is even reason for illegal war, but it is not afforded to its own citizens. Wow! What hypocrites americans are!

April 10, 2012 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tia

Perhaps you should take a high school course on American Government. Freedom of speech protects the citizens from censorship by the GOVERNMENT. A private employer is free to take action against an employee for stupid and offensive remarks.

April 10, 2012 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |