April 10th, 2012

Marlins suspend manager Guillen for 5 games; he apologizes for Castro comments

"Politics has nothing to do with sports," Guillen said.

"This is the biggest mistake so far in my life," he said.

Guillen said with the comments he'd let down the community.

"I'm going to be behind them 100%," he said.

The team said Tuesday the original comments were hurtful.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the suspension of Guillen was appropriate.

He is a native of Venezuela and became a U.S. citizen in 2006.

soundoff (2,195 Responses)
  1. Chris

This shows the amount of right-wing reactionaries inside the media. The entire system we have is content with demonizing every socialist leader because they oppose US imperialism. Fidel and Che and the revolutionaries that overthrew the Batista dictatorship gave their lives for the chance to liberate Cuba from the US and the Batista regime which was very bad. Im not saying Castro's government is free from problems and crimes but the Batista regime which we imposed upon them similarly to the Shah in Iran was very very bad.

April 10, 2012 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • yeah yeah

Thank you brother for blessing the ignorant few some insight on what this part of history was about.

April 10, 2012 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jay

Well said, Chris. You are 100% on target historically and ethically.

April 10, 2012 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Time

Im looking forward to Cuba vs US in women's vollyball in London this summer.

April 10, 2012 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  2. HereWeGoAgain

So the Marlins want to suppress their staffs' opinion.....and they are punishing Guillen for voicing an opinion.....wait.....isn't that a part of Communism? We have become a country drowning in political correctness ; you can't say anything without offending somebody. I'm definately no fan of Castro, but if what Guillen said is how he feels, then so be it, he has a right to his opinion.

April 10, 2012 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Time

You know ppl, it is Fidel and probably with his bud Hugo whose chuckling at ya again. They know this cost Ozzie squat financially and how culture knows its limitations from hanging around the neighbourhood all these centuries.

April 10, 2012 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Cristobal

YOU idiots – THE GOVERNMENT – NOT THE FLORIDA MARLINS – grants you your 1st amendment right, meaning the government can't restrict your freedom of speech. However, a private company can fire you if you insult or upset someone in any way.

April 10, 2012 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  5. tcaros

You can be sorry and fired.. that works for us.

April 10, 2012 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Joe

Ozzie is a baseball player. Brilliant.
    If you can, study that countenance for a moment. Now, what do you expect?! The guy has a right to his opinion and you have the right to remove yourself and your family from this grotesque, vacuous, vulgar spectacle that contributes nothing of lasting positive value to your life. You may want to take the opportunity and do the same with the infinitely sleazy Hollywood crowd of “stars” who, in between dope, alcohol, and myriad outrageous depravities, still find some consolation with admiring some leftist criminal every now and then. Ozzie and the likes of him have the right to their opinion, just like you have the right to ignore them and to switch off the boob tube.

April 10, 2012 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  7. yeah yeah

I respected Ozzie for his original comment, He let media sensationalism get to him....he HAS nothing to apologize about ESPECIALLY at the "Latino" community.....I'm Latino....there was NOTHING Offensive in his speech....UNLESS of course your a Miami Cuban descendant of the Batista Regime. QUE COMAN MIERDA!

April 10, 2012 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Kashiwa

"free speech and Miami Marlins"

The majority of the butts that will fill the seats at Marlins' home games will be Cuban ex-pats. Marlins' management is looking at the bottom line, i.e., $$$$$$. I doubt if "free speech" was even considered when they decided to suspend him.

April 10, 2012 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  9. libertycall

I feel for this poor guy

April 10, 2012 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  10. libertycall

Whoever took the decision to suspend this guy, caused the biggest surge of goodwill for Castro.

All these posts from people like me who couldn't stand Castro,show even more disgust towards the hypocrites in our own yard, who try to limit our freedom of speech.

April 10, 2012 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Ross

Ummm...the dude has first amendment rights...

April 10, 2012 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • ajtoos

1st amendment rights apply to government censorship not a private organization. The government cannot restrict your ability to curse at your boss...but your boss can surely fire you for it.

April 10, 2012 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • americansarelost

cuban exiles are like jews-whoever says what they don't like,they ask for his head.by the way,castro is a great guy,he showed almighty bully.

April 10, 2012 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Michael in NYC

Idiot.

April 10, 2012 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  13. whitmanguy

Why can't Guillen just express his opinon? Isn't that supposed to be one of the great things about being American?

April 10, 2012 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • American

you can say whatever you want, however you are held to what you have said.

April 10, 2012 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Stan Iverson

What a moron!

April 10, 2012 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  15. DeDe

He may be an idiot but he has the right to express his opinion. To punish him is ridiculous.

April 10, 2012 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • ajtoos

DeDe. I am officially recognizing your "right" to express your opinion and will now "punish" you with a sarcastic reply. Have your first amendment rights been violated? You might want to hire an attorney.

April 10, 2012 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |