Overheard on CNN.com: Death, taxes may be certain, but procrastination is another story
Tax deadlines have stirred up a lot of conversation, both personal and political, in our comments sections.
April 13th, 2012

Commenter Leecherius quoted that old saying about death and taxes. Most of us certainly tend to procrastinate about the former, and a sizeable portion prefer to put off the latter. You can always celebrate with wine at the end. So, why do we do wait?

There's still time left to file your taxes

For some, the answer lies in whether or not they owe money. Readers discussed online tax preparation and deadlines.

Sacto06917: "If your return is relatively simple and you earn under circa $65,000 per year, I'd recommend using the online tax filing services like TaxACT or TurboTax Online. That way, you just enter your entity information (name, address and Social Security number), your W-2 information, estimate payment information, and 1099-MISC, 1099-DIV and/or 1099-INT data and let the online system create the return."

jujutsuka: "I guess I don't understand why people wait until the last minute. Unless you've got all kinds of crazy investments or business dealings, it's not really a pain. For the average person who doesn't itemize, doesn't own a business, etc., there's really no excuse to wait ... you just up your stress level by putting it off. I've been using TurboTax for the last few years. I've never had trouble with it."

Pinky: "It's called "Procrastination". or laziness ;)"

ChrisInMN: "This year I owe $750. Why would I or should I pay it early?"

wfrobinette: "I had over $200,000 in income and used Turbo Tax online. Why pay someone to find deductions when they just aren't there.

Some people are feeling a little grouchy about the whole thing.

kellerr13: " 'There's still time left to file your taxes.' That headline sounds like a sales pitch for a used car or something. Here is another one: 'Withhold taxes and hit them where it hurts.' "

Revolutionra: "They already have your money if you are a normal taxpayer that withholds (you typically have to withhold to avoid an extra penalty tacked onto your taxes) so really the tax filing is just to make sure you gets your refund."

The political aspect of taxes is also garnering a pointed conversation.

Tax fight gets personal as Obama, Biden tax returns released

Some readers were fascinated by the numbers.

Debbie: "Well, the world now knows the Obamas are not rich. They didn't even make a million dollars. Come on Romney, bring out your tax papers."

Several readers were concerned about government assistance and personal responsibility.

ReallY!!?: "This whole demonizing of the rich is so ridiculous! Romney was never given anything. He donated his entire inheritance to charity and started fr scratch. To make them to be the evil rich is ridiculous. Instead of addressing the real problems of poverty and teaching people to be reliant on themselves, this administration just wants to keep giving handouts. Oh the poor waitress that has to work to feed her two kids. The Republicans want to take away her child care freebie. Really? I worked hard to put myself through college. I waited to have kids until I was married. And guess what, I'm not poor! What a freaking shocker! Why is that so hard to understand? Stop having kids at age 16. Get a freaking education or skill to take care of yourself and any kids that come along. Why is it the government's responsibility to take care of you?"

Some felt the rich were not contributing what they should be.

anagram_kid: "I personally would have no issue with 'job creators' paying a lower rate, if they could objectively prove they reinvested what would have been paid in taxes in actual labor costs. Case in point – how does the money Gov. Romney have in off shore accounts create US jobs?

This person said until the government shapes up, it shouldn't get our money.

Randy: "Why do we fight over this issue? The real problems don't get addressed. The government is wasteful, bloated, inefficient and panders to special interest groups (both sides). Until the government plays 'fair,' does their 'fair share' and 'plays by the same rules,' they shouldn't get any more of our tax dollars. Plus, there is a reason for a capital gains tax and why it is at a lower rate. The government has proven time and time again to be a poor guardian of our tax dollars and they don't deserve another dime from anyone. The GSA and Solyndra and the like has proven that the government has more than enough money. Raise the tax rates on the wealthy won't help me one bit. So instead of raising the tax rates on the wealthy, you lower the rates on the middle class. P.S. ... Obama's tax return proves that he ain't one of us."

Or, the other side of the fence.

justaminit: "Let me help with the math, President Obama paid 26% in income tax. Anyone who believes that Romney understands or cares about their financial problems is buying into a scam. He is a corporate warrior, who believes in keeping the money, some of which is in off-shore accounts. There is never enough money for these folks, no matter how much they have. He will never understand what it is like to walk in your shoes, struggle with bills, run out of money, or lose your job. Wake up middle class."

Share your opinion in the comments area below and in the latest stories on CNN.com. Or sound off on video via CNN iReport.

Post by:
Filed under: Economy • Finance • Overheard on CNN.com • Politics • Taxes
  1. wow

Hmm

April 13, 2012 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  2. wolf god

I can show you the exact spot where Doyle Brunson kicked Phil Helmuth's ass. Beat him like a red headed stepchild. That was back before Texas Hold 'Em was on TV every night/online 24/7. Thanks to TV, it now exists in most everyones reality. Odd about things that aren't on TV.

April 13, 2012 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  3. fed reserve

What wooden nickel
    all the pros seem to income streams outside poker wonder at viability of gaming lifestyle

April 13, 2012 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  4. chrissy

As there are over 35,000 different religions in this world & NO ONE knows which l is right, i dont believe in religions. I do believe in a spiritual being *god* with no animal attachments 2 that being! That is my right so take your *get a clue* & stuff it

April 13, 2012 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • ♚Mmmmm♛

you are an agnostic who denies that God exist "graciously"...you would be the one who ignores the obvious presence of an intimate friend under the case of pretense "i didn't see you" or worst yet get up from the bed of a lover yet profess in word and/or deed you never knew the person...which is worst??? the denial or the arrogance with which you do it...

April 14, 2012 at 7:16 am | Report abuse |
  5. simple misdirection

Give that to ceasar which is ceasars.
    What would Philip say.
    (WWPS)
    mittens cannot connect with voters because he is not honest with himself.
    True, most people don't believe politicians serve the interests of the American people any more.
    But a man who professes to believe in Jesus Christ should have some integrity.

April 13, 2012 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  6. ron

Was gonna comment on this but...naw it can wait...

April 13, 2012 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  7. wolf god

@chrissy. So you don't believe in hell!!! That's great! Most of your friends probably do though, as do most of US, including your president and majority of congress. Wtg chrissy!

April 13, 2012 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  8. wolf god (s/n for sale)

If I can't get chrissy to believe in a place called hell where people are burned alive forever, I probably couldn't sell guts to a starving dog. How did Billy Graham sell hell so effectively? Pat Robertson. George Bush. Every single Catholic priest. Even Adolph Hitler was a better hell salesman.

April 13, 2012 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  9. wolf god (s/n for sale)

...wayyyyyyyt a minute. You ladies are always telling me it's not what you say but how you say it. Maybe if I reword using only nice words I can get people to believe in HELLFIRE DAMNATION.

April 13, 2012 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  10. chrissy

I didnt say i didnt believe in hell philip! I said i dont believe in religions. I also believe in god, just not a *wolf* god.

April 13, 2012 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
  11. chrissy

Im also an independent thinker, i dont have to believe in everything my friends believe, or you either for that matter! I wouldve thought you wouldve noticed that by now. My friends also dont think Ron Paul would be a good POTUS, and i do! So what!

April 14, 2012 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
    • ♚Mmmmm♛

...you are a leaf blowing in the wind...you do realize only dead leaves blow in the wind...

April 14, 2012 at 7:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Popeye

Dr.Ron Paul is a true patriot with true patriotic views . He also has heart , morals , and the right idea of how our founding fathers intended this country to be . I'm a Democrat but I'll vote for him if he goes that far !

April 14, 2012 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Jiao

Mmmmm, you have no room to point fingers when you are the most twisted dried up shrub on the block. Believe in wolf god's hell, your ticket has already been punched for that trip.

April 14, 2012 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  12. The boogeyman

@@@chrissy ,,,,,they find the wolf god bible in the happy noodle motel on lv blvd,,,, dammit my horn just broke off

April 14, 2012 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
  13. The boogeyman

@@@phillip,,,,,,, are you there? Come come out were ever you are,,,,

April 14, 2012 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
  14. Eric Cartman

No! No! You people have it ALL wrong! If most of you didn't really believe in the mythical HELL where people are burned alive forver...that when you die, you either goto heaven or HELL, if you people didn't ACTUALLY believe these idiotic doctrines of men NOT found in the bible, Soth Park wouldn't be so popular...or even funny, for that matter.

April 14, 2012 at 1:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Jiao

Is there a tax you have to pay to get into your little version of hell? To me, it's total hell even watching "South Park". Oh, yeah, and reading your stupid posts.

April 14, 2012 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Ross Markello

The over concern about taxes and deficits needs clarification. This nation has extensive resources both financial, natural, educational, which go unused. The federal government is the only organ that can marshall and execuyte them a la WWII and grow the GDPanother 25%. We desparately need a stimulus package of at least $ 2 trillion to get the economy moving. If necessary, the money can be printed, as it was in 1942, 1917, and 1861.

April 15, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |