April 15th, 2012

Boston Marathon officials issue heat warning

Monday's Boston Marathon may not be as crowded as some had anticipated with temperatures expected to approach 90 degrees.

The Boston Athletic Association is allowing runners to defer their entry into the race until the 2013 marathon as a way of discouraging some from taking on what could be dangerously hot weather.

Watch the video to see who race officials are doing to prepare for the heat and what advice they're giving to even the most seasoned marathoner who decides not to take the day off.

Post by:
Filed under: Boston • Massachusetts • Running • Sports
  1. cpc65

Heat warning? Looks like Kenyans for the win again.

April 15, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Hogwash

U know that's not Chrissy, but ya gotta be a dick, don't you? Buffoon.

April 15, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Dan

Half the problem is that they bus you to the starting line at 6am, and they don't start the race until noon. So you sit out in the sun for 6 hours baking and dehydrating. If they put up shade tents, and didn't run the buses so early, people won't have as much of a problem. Though, it will still be hot. As I mentioned in a post above, it was really, really hot in 2004. People were collapsing all over the place. No matter how much water I drank, I was unable to hydrate (instead, I vomited the water back up).

April 15, 2012 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Dan

To the runners out there: drink pickle juice during the race. I don't know how you'll manage that – but over the last few years I've learned that pickle juice stops cramping better than gatorade, bananas, water, or salty foods. There was a NYT article about it in the last few years. Get someone to wait for you with pickle juice at mile 12, and again at mile 20 or so. It will be well worth it. (While the salt in pickle juice helps, it's actually the vinegar that seems to stop cramping).

April 15, 2012 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  5. 4th wright

Good Luck Boston Marathoners!

April 15, 2012 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Slow Runner

i would like to know what the editors at CNN were smoking to write this line
    "Watch the video to see who race officials are doing to prepare for the heat ".
    Did CNN hire the Secret Service agents who were sent home from Columbia?

April 15, 2012 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Applesauce

Welcome to CNN!!!!

April 15, 2012 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  8. BOMBO ©

I have no real opinion on this, just feel a bit sorry for Dan trying to talk about the race with Philip and some others going off on a different tangent.

April 15, 2012 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Applesauce

This thread is supposed to be about a RACE??

April 15, 2012 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  9. ♚Mmmmm♛

pickle juice makes great dirty martini's and bloody mary's...

April 15, 2012 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Pickle juice, huh?
      I always used olive juice for my dirty martinis....I'll have to try it. Thanks! 🙂

April 15, 2012 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  10. chet

I was in it 76. As I remember only 3 were carried off the course. Unforgettable.

April 15, 2012 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Philip

@Martin...actually, there are more M.D.'s in Boston than in all of the orient. Are bostonuans more healthy for it? Hardly.

April 15, 2012 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Philip

*Bostonians. No offense.

April 15, 2012 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  13. David Trembley

I have run this race, and I understand the warning.

April 15, 2012 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  14. ♚Mmmmm♛

lol...how do you know she's born a natural women and not a 6-x change?you personally seen her womb and ovaries???

April 15, 2012 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Ogre' Windfree

Judging by the size of Oprah's head, she could have been a walrus change. Her mouth? It's wider than a young boys shoulders.

April 15, 2012 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |