April 17th, 2012

Mississippi governor signs bill tightening restrictions on abortion providers

Mississippi's governor has signed into law a bill requiring physicians performing abortions in the state to be a board-certified obstetrician-gynecologist and to have admitting privileges at an area hospital.

"I believe that all human life is precious, and as governor, I will work to ensure that the lives of the born and unborn are protected in Mississippi," Gov. Phil Bryant said in a statement Monday.

He has previously expressed his desire that the state become "abortion free."

Seven other states require abortion providers to have hospital privileges, but no other state requires that an abortion provider be an OB/GYN, said Elizabeth Nash, state issues manager for the Guttmacher Institute in Washington.

Though the 1973 Supreme Court landmark decision in Roe v. Wade made abortion legal in all 50 states, Mississippi's law could make the state the first where no abortions could be performed, she said.

"It's an attempt to eliminate access without taking on Roe directly."

Mississippi has only one abortion facility, Jackson Women's Health Organization. Should it close, Mississippi women seeking abortions would have to leave the state.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: U.S.
  1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

@ Mmmmm:
    ERRATUM:
    I omitted "dews and." They are "evening dews and damps."

April 17, 2012 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

It sounds as if Mmmmm would thrive in Mississippi.

April 17, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • ♚Mmmmm♛

ms contradiction...not hardly...

April 17, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Ah.
      At least I know what your name is for me.

April 17, 2012 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

And it's Mrs.
      I am proud of my marital status.

April 17, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  3. jeff

Republicans want all babies to survive and grow so they can use them in illegal wars. They don't mind if they die as adults.

April 17, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pippa

They don't care if they die at all once they are born.

April 17, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Candy

That about says it all. That is a fact they need armies of poor people to fight their senseless wars. Such as the one we have going on now. Bring back the draft so that a few rich kids will have to go to war.

April 17, 2012 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Candy

Men love to rule. They have never gotten over the fact that women can now vote, women can now own property and they also can choose what to do about an unwanted pregancy. Men would prefer that we stay barefoot and pregnant to obey and be at their becon call. However intelligent males realize that if women wanted them to be casterated or sterilized our government would not allow it. So give it up – your ego is a little large but your ignorant comments are much larger. Women will never be forced to resort to back-woods measures to rid themselves of a fertilized mass of tissue that will be come an unwanted baby if left in place.

April 17, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dixon

Please don't lump me in with this waste of humanity.

April 18, 2012 at 1:11 am | Report abuse |
  5. ♚Mmmmm♛

candy you need to stop selfishly recruiting people to share in your misery and the murderous transgressions against the unborn ...take the high road and stop cursing and destroying the holy innocents and god's little angels on earth...and stop turning mothers and fathers against their gift of life from heaven and turning people against same gift of life given to this world...

April 17, 2012 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Pippa

You know what would be freaking awesome? Getting a secret decoder ring for Mmmm's posts.

April 17, 2012 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Barney

But mmmm, isnt that exactly what you are doing? Recruiting to YOUR way of thinking? Actually more like a bulldozer! And where do you get off calling someone unamerican if they think independently? WHO are you?

April 17, 2012 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • ♚Mmmmm♛

no! im disputing...it's unamerican to harm your fellowman and to treat his personhood with disregard...

April 18, 2012 at 4:28 am | Report abuse |
  8. Barney

And talk about backwards, you cant even speak properly. And also i must point out dixon did say HE and HIS wife, yet you persist in calling HIM ms dixon, so youre rude as well! Whats your stance on male contraception?

April 17, 2012 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dixon

he is a weak little man who thinks being called a ms might hurt... he would be the one hiding in the corner if he faced any of the women I know with his non-sense.

April 18, 2012 at 1:14 am | Report abuse |
    • ♚Mmmmm♛

i see you two like it rough...
      (nod) good night, mz dixon!
      (nod) mz barney!

remember, men are called to holiness, too!

April 18, 2012 at 4:40 am | Report abuse |
  9. Barney

Excuse me i meant contraceptives.

April 17, 2012 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy© can't sleep

As leeintulsa used to say...another piece of the puzzle falls into place....lol.

April 18, 2012 at 4:53 am | Report abuse |
    • ♚Mmmmm♛

that's goodforyah...that's whatchoo get for supporting the killin' of the unborn...

April 18, 2012 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Cee

Mmmm said: ~"you need to stop selfishly recruiting people to share in your misery and the >>>>(murderous transgressions against the unborn)<<<<<>>> (destroying the holy innocents and god's little angels on earth)<<<>>>(turning mothers and fathers against their gift of life from heaven)<<<<< and turning people against same gift of life given to this world..."~

Hahahaha! Why do I find the words of these religious fruitcakes so funny?
    What's even funnier is they don't even realize the bull that's coming out of their own mouths.

April 18, 2012 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
    • ♚Mmmmm♛

so let us be trully frank...by your standards ceeeeeeee!

...so chemically scalding the skin off a baby in the womb with a caustic solution is charitable...their killers call them candy apple babies
      ...stabbing the unborn newborn in the base of its neck and severing the spinal with a pair of sissors is loving...
      ...intentionally injecting a cancer drug so its growing differentiating cells stop dividing is peaceful...
      ....grab bag suction and extraction surprising...you never know what piece of the unborn baby you will pull out next...
      ...of course cee you would find it absolutely halarious...the haunted clinics and bloodstained trash bins and containers where the bodies of poor children are shamelessly discarded if not sold to other industries as carcass for food and other commodities...

April 18, 2012 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  12. banasy©

That's evil, even for you.
    You have got to be the most miserable person alive to celebrate leeintulsa's death.

April 18, 2012 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  13. banasy©

Painting youself as YOU truly are, you are right in that. Happy that a man is dead because he had a different POV?

I will type this slowly so even YOU can understand it.
    I personally do NOT support abortion, but I support the right for a woman to have one if she so chooses.

I don't support a GD thing YOU say, but I support your right to say it.

Do you finally understand?

April 18, 2012 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • ♚Mmmmm♛

see banasy run.

run banasy run.

run run run.

hope you understand toooooooo!
      i do not need you GED support!

April 18, 2012 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • ♚Mmmmm♛

for the record... isn't or wasnt about you or lee...it's about the unborn...

April 18, 2012 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Run from what?
      That has always been my stance on this.
      That you cannot discern the difference is the product of your own educational level, Haversham.

April 18, 2012 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  14. banasy©

YOU made it about Lee and I.
    You did.
    For the record.

April 18, 2012 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • ♚Mmmmm♛

no not the record. im sorry...you misinterpreted my "goodforyah" comment...i was being facetious of our difference in opinions about abortion...only...and referenced nothing else...perhaps you should take some time off and away from the boards...im sorry...it is not my intent to stab hearts...cuz that really do hurt... but I will shoot you every place else...verbally 🙂

April 18, 2012 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  15. banasy©

Perhaps speaking a bit more plainly would benefit.
    It was in a response to something I said regarding Lee; however else would I take it?
    Take some time off the boards?
    Why?
    Miss our verbal jousting?
    What fun would that be?

I shoot back.

Verbally, of course.

Oh, here is for the record: yesterday was the 14th anny of my son's death.
    Yeah, I birth my babies.
    I alkso buried one of them.
    THAT'S why banasy couldn't sleep.

My conscience is clear; I've never aborted a baby, and I am NOT being facetious about that, either.

April 18, 2012 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |