April 17th, 2012

Mississippi governor signs bill tightening restrictions on abortion providers

Mississippi's governor has signed into law a bill requiring physicians performing abortions in the state to be a board-certified obstetrician-gynecologist and to have admitting privileges at an area hospital.

"I believe that all human life is precious, and as governor, I will work to ensure that the lives of the born and unborn are protected in Mississippi," Gov. Phil Bryant said in a statement Monday.

He has previously expressed his desire that the state become "abortion free."

Seven other states require abortion providers to have hospital privileges, but no other state requires that an abortion provider be an OB/GYN, said Elizabeth Nash, state issues manager for the Guttmacher Institute in Washington.

Though the 1973 Supreme Court landmark decision in Roe v. Wade made abortion legal in all 50 states, Mississippi's law could make the state the first where no abortions could be performed, she said.

"It's an attempt to eliminate access without taking on Roe directly."

Mississippi has only one abortion facility, Jackson Women's Health Organization. Should it close, Mississippi women seeking abortions would have to leave the state.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: U.S.
  1. banasy©

Well, poo, my comment is awaiting moderation.
    This one wasn't even *bad*!

April 18, 2012 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

Mmmmm:
    You posted that as a reply to a comment referrencing Lee.
    I cannot read minds.
    How was I supposed to take it?

For the record, if you were talking about 'banasy can't sleep', yesterday was the 14th anniversary of my son's death.
    I have my babies; I also buried one.

Just so there is no misunderstanding.

April 18, 2012 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

I couldn't sleep last night because my son passed 14 years ago yesterday.
    I have my babies; sometimes I have to say goodbye to them, also.
    Peace.

April 18, 2012 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@banasy, you have been on my mind and I hope you get good sleep tonight. Eric is a beautiful boy...

April 18, 2012 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mary

When will people stop thinking about themselves and start thinking about that of an unborn baby.
    When will someone say SOMETHING to defend that unborn baby rather than the right of a women murderer.
    smart people ? that it is, yep it is questionable.

April 18, 2012 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

When will people think of the unborn? I do.
      I cannot tell others how to choose...I choose with my conscience...and my conscience cannot choose for another...neither can anyone legislate a right already granted, whether one agrees with it , or not.

Speak for the unborn.
      Actions speak louder than words, and by that, I mean adopt an unwanted child, not force a woman to have the unwanted child...then, and only then, w

April 18, 2012 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mary

I see your "sticking point" is "forcing" the women to have the child.
    Again, I ask what about the babies rights?
    And when was the last time your adopted an unwanted child?
    I am not God and therefore have no authority to destroy a life... that's why I am against it as well as the heinous procedure that was described in detail by ♚Mmmmm♛
    I AM APPALLED by your lack of love for the unborn yet the bleeding of your heart for your son.

April 18, 2012 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Guess you missed the part where I said I am personally against abortion.
      Again.
      I am appalled at you lack of reading comprehension.
      My sticking point, as you put it, is that no one has the right to legislate one conscience.
      No one.

What I am the most amused at, however, is your childish attempt to make me feel bad about somebody else's choice by bringing up my son.
      Worry about your own conscience.
      My conscience is clear.

April 18, 2012 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

One person's BELIEFS will never trump another persons RIGHTS.
    Just the way it should be.

April 18, 2012 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mary

Yes you have that right to choose... just wish you could see what the right choice IS.
    btw, good to see you being nice to Philip for a change. 🙂

April 18, 2012 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

Mary, the right choice for ME may not be the right choice for anyone else.

I am nice to those who are nice to me.

I give what I get here.

April 18, 2012 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mary

Your personal choice not to abort doesn't negate the fact that you condone another to do so.
    And me bringing up your son is to show how unjust and biased your feelings are for another human life.
    I also notice you have to accuse some one of being "childish" or lacking in "reading comprehension" when others POV are backed by reality.
    Gn Donna

April 18, 2012 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  10. raven

Wow, just wow. I'm just appalled in general at the lack of good ole fashioned compassion for the people who ARE here. Y' know, the ones with emotion, hurt and consciousness? Such conviction about persons who dont even exist while bashing and goading a person who does? Boggles the mind.

April 18, 2012 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

And, I might add, I never considered abortion once.
    Not even a passing, stray thought.
    But I'm not every woman.

April 18, 2012 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Mary

I gave my heartfelt condolences to you yesterday but came here to check out what ♚Mmmmm♛ had to say on this issue and saw your post. I just couldn't believe the lack of empathy you have for an unborn child.
    Gn

April 18, 2012 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  13. raven

No, your bringing up her son was cruel. And you know it. So ugly. So very ugly.

April 18, 2012 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mary

Raven, thats the way you see it.
    Why does she NOT have the same heart for unborn babies?
    GN !

April 18, 2012 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  15. raven

You speak of empathy? Really?? You are more than willing to attack a person, a person who's already heartbroken, antagonize them with the death of their son, while "defending" someone who doesn't even exist?? Empathy, you?? Not even in the same league. Not even in the same GAME.

April 18, 2012 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |