April 17th, 2012

Mississippi governor signs bill tightening restrictions on abortion providers

Mississippi's governor has signed into law a bill requiring physicians performing abortions in the state to be a board-certified obstetrician-gynecologist and to have admitting privileges at an area hospital.

"I believe that all human life is precious, and as governor, I will work to ensure that the lives of the born and unborn are protected in Mississippi," Gov. Phil Bryant said in a statement Monday.

He has previously expressed his desire that the state become "abortion free."

Seven other states require abortion providers to have hospital privileges, but no other state requires that an abortion provider be an OB/GYN, said Elizabeth Nash, state issues manager for the Guttmacher Institute in Washington.

Though the 1973 Supreme Court landmark decision in Roe v. Wade made abortion legal in all 50 states, Mississippi's law could make the state the first where no abortions could be performed, she said.

"It's an attempt to eliminate access without taking on Roe directly."

Mississippi has only one abortion facility, Jackson Women's Health Organization. Should it close, Mississippi women seeking abortions would have to leave the state.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: U.S.
  1. banasy©

Miss Hecht, backed by reality?
    Who determines that?
    That's the question.

Nobody can live another person's reality.

I don't condone abortion.
    I condone CHOICE, even if it's not one I personally agree with.
    Biased and unjust about my feelings for my son, compared with....a choice some else makes?
    Are you even trying to make me feel bad about my having my son when some else chooses not to?
    That is the most absurd argument ever.

I notice you started the "I am appalled" convo.
    Throw stones at glass houses much?

Good night, Miss Hecht.

April 18, 2012 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  2. raven

I never saw anywhere any kind of inclination that said she didn't have compassion. For anyone.

April 18, 2012 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mary

Maybe if you saw a dead baby in front of your face as a result of an abortion you would change your tune about that human being, Raven. whether the life is inside or out of the mothers womb it is a viable life when the egg attaches to the wall. That life IS just as deserving of empathy.
    I conveyed my sincere condolences to banasy, now I am doing the same for those who can't speak.
    Gn finally

April 18, 2012 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy©

My heart and somebody's choices do not have one thing to do with anotherit appeared that Mmmm was making light of Lee's death.
    I see....someone gets to insult me all they want because YOU don't like me?
    And I cannot defend myself?
    Not in this lifetime, cupcake.

April 18, 2012 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mary

I NEVER said I don't like you, although you make it difficult at times.
    And to bring up not being able to defend yourself is obsured when I am the one that gets stoned by your online buddies.
    The cupcake reference doesn't apply anymore, Nice try tho

April 18, 2012 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

Which of my responses to mmmmm's post?
    The one where she wass happy that lee was dead?
    We cleared that up.
    Get a clue.

April 18, 2012 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mary

And one more thing! The reason I don't speak of my daughter is that it would be too hard for me, even as I write my throat is in knots
    But when I think and reflect on pictures I;ve seen of murdered babies... I get STEMMED !
    Errrr , gn

April 18, 2012 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mary

NO the one where you two were going at it about abortion.
    Gn is FINAL
    and it mary talking to you... get it?

April 18, 2012 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
  9. raven

I didn't stone you mary. I would do the same for anyone in her position, if I felt that someone was capitalizing on the loss of a loved one for the sake of an argument that cant be won. Even you. Looked to me that YOU and YOUR on line buddy were attacking her. Like I said : I would do the same for anyone who was in that position.

April 18, 2012 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy©

Suggested reading:
    The convo on a computer where you can see to whom one is replying to.
    Then perhaps you will see what I was trying to convey.

I cry when I talk about my son, but that doesn't prevent me from speaking about it; it is my choice to.
    Get it?

Listen, someone isults me, I insult back.
    And for one who is always talking about the NWO, and rights being taken away, no problem taking the ones you don't agree with away, do you?

April 19, 2012 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
  11. raven

Why on earth would you choose to look at pictures of dead babies?? Not too good for the psyche.

April 19, 2012 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
  12. Mary

news article online a long time ago raven.
    It was even on the tv news HELLO

April 19, 2012 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  13. Mary

I don't see your rights being taken away banasy... your still posting aren't you? Another point of yours SHOT down.
    YOu get to say what you wish and I do the same.
    Thanks girls

April 19, 2012 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  14. banasy©

I gave a reasonalble response to your first post.
    I attacked nobody.

April 19, 2012 at 12:13 am | Report abuse |
  15. banasy©

I was referring to woman's rights to choose, and you well know it.
    Don't be disengenuous.