Judge disqualifies herself from George Zimmerman case
CNN contributor Mark NeJame said Judge Jessica Recksiedler (pictured) did nothing improper by waiting to be asked to recuse herself.
April 18th, 2012

Judge disqualifies herself from George Zimmerman case

A Florida judge Wednesday approved a motion to disqualify herself from the criminal case involving a neighborhood watch volunteer who fatally shot 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, according to the court.

The defense team for George Zimmerman requested Monday that Seminole Circuit Judge Jessica Recksiedler, who was assigned to Zimmerman's case, be removed after she revealed that her husband works with a CNN legal analyst.

Zimmerman's defense attorney, Mark O'Mara, had said Monday he was confident the motion would be granted.

Recksiedler said in her decision that while the findings on each basis were "legally insufficient" for disqualification, "the cumulative effect of the events and the totality of the circumstances provides a legally sufficient basis for this court to grant the motion to disqualify," a statement from the court said.

Zimmerman, 28, fatally shot Martin in Sanford, Florida, on February 26, a killing he has said was in self-defense. The case has stirred civil rights activists nationwide and drawn intense publicity.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Courts • Florida • Trayvon Martin
  1. Jim

She is cute for a judge. Not bad looking at all.

April 18, 2012 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  2. The Rick

She is too good looking to be an old stuffy judge. She should be in Hawaii or Tahiti having fun.

April 18, 2012 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

Ummm...what?

April 18, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy©

Gee.
    Didn't see *this* one coming.

April 18, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  5. DisReverent

So sad. He ushered in the classical music era when he gave Beethoven his first break.

April 18, 2012 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Iamrightyouarewrong

What a crappy crappy judge. I'm afraid I'm afraid. I don't want to be a part of this JUSTIFIED killing. I think she has a thing for skittles and arizona tea is what I think. I heard mr Zimmerman had to drop his watermelon and bucket of KFC just to get his gun out.

April 18, 2012 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  7. wanda

I am sitting here crying. I can't believe Dick Clark is gone. I really feel old now. RIP Dick

April 18, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Sherri

OK? So, the labotomy was partial, huh?

April 18, 2012 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  9. portland tony

Story said he was being given a minor outpatient procedure and had a heart attack. Moral of story, when you are past 90, the hospital is probably more dangerous than a war zone!

April 18, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Philip

Hogwash! Get your hiney back on that bench young lady. (sorry, I've been chewing out my daughter for not taking to heart what I've taught her concerning her emotionally unavailable husband)

April 18, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  11. michael

There is no way that justice can be served by this trial, for Justice Itself is on trial and the mob has been seated as the Jurors. No matter what it will take a Jury of where every individual chosen must be an exceptionaly well learned in law, have the patience of the Bibicly depicted Job,and never heard of even the slightest mention of the case, and then have the courage to stand for their convictions.Any Juror chosen by normal procedures knows by now that only one verdict will satisfy the masses emotionaly derivedneed for vengence.And for them a guilty verdict is not enough, they want blood . and if not that at a minimum life with no chance of parole or any means of release proiced them. This a media derivin circus and one that also has a stench of political manipulations as well. While the lawyer, Judge, Jurors wil gain the largest financially to gain wil be Jese Jackson and Al Sharton who are the highes paid of all the professional Black or White bottom feeders

April 18, 2012 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Philip

Gee, for a second there I thought I posted that comment on the Dick Clark chart. I really liked Dick Clark, though I know little of his life. American Bandstand always had me up on Saturday morning as a kid. Remember the 10,000 Dollar Pyramid Game show Mr. Clark hosted? What am I saying! Dick Clark was everywhere. I'll RIP to him on that blog. (Early Saturday morning...that's when AB aired in the hicktown i lived in. one radio station and one tv station to choose from. But at night when the skip rolled in, Mexico's fabulous XROCK80 became the mighty monarch of the airways) Anyway, shore am glad I didn't make an ass of myself for a third, perhaps fourth time today.

April 18, 2012 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Philip

@michael. You had me at There's no way. Your Job set the hook, and your well thought out post should real everyone in. But it won't, as you so elequently described, it won't.

April 18, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  14. ♚Mmmmm♛

alright...guess she didn't want to blow any rasberries in the mic....lol

April 18, 2012 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |