April 20th, 2012

Feds continue search for Etan Patz

Police and federal agents were expected Friday to continue searching in a Lower Manhattan basement for clues in the more than 30-year disappearance of six-year-old Etan Patz, the boy who became the face of missing children in America.

Etan Patz disappeared May 25, 1979, a block from his home in the city's SoHo neighborhood. It was the first time he walked to the bus stop by himself.

Authorities said both new and old information led them to a carpenter and part-time handyman who met Etan the day before he disappeared and gave the boy a dollar.

It was interest in the carpenter that prompted authorities to bring a cadaver dog to a SoHo basement, where Etan apparently encountered the 42-year-old carpenter, according to a source with knowledge of the investigation. The dogs picked up the scent of human remains, the source said.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Justice • U.S.
  1. JerseyJeff

I used to live a couple blocks from where this is taking place... Eerie.

What I can't help but be the most amazed about is, a dog can smell a body sealed in concrete 30 years later???

Wow... How does anybody ever get away with murder if dogs can do that! Amazing.

April 20, 2012 at 7:05 am | Report abuse |
  2. Lady Rosseter©™

Yes, but where was his mother?
    I mean, have you ever been to SoHo? To Prince Street?
    Especially then.
    Even now, it's not all like Nobu.

April 20, 2012 at 7:10 am | Report abuse |
    • JerseyJeff

Then it was a wreck. NYC was a mess in the 70's and 80's.

In my neihborhood, kids play and walk around alone, though not at 6 really. The neighborhood looked out for its own. That safety feeling that comes from having a neihborhood can give a false sense of security I guess.

April 20, 2012 at 7:15 am | Report abuse |
    • JerseyJeff

PS – Nobu is a restaurant, NoHo is a made up neighborhood that real estate agents and NYC implants call the area of the LES that is North of Houston.
      Hell's Kitchen is now called "Clinton".... So dumb... Just keep the names we all know for the last coupld of hundred years.

April 20, 2012 at 7:21 am | Report abuse |
  3. Lady Rosseter©™

@ JerseyJeff,
    I was joking that Nobu was the only place, as this nom de plume, that I would visit that far downtown. Actually, Nobu is in TriBeCa in the renaming scheme.
    I lived briefly one block north of Houston: the markets there are wonderful.
    I've known Prince Street well for almost fifty years, as a friend lives there.

April 20, 2012 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
    • JerseyJeff

I gotcha now... I thought you confused 'NoHo' with Nobu. I hate that term. This blog is making me want to take a trip to Katz's for a sandwich now.

April 20, 2012 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
  4. Lady Rosseter©™

I'm getting nostalgic for shopping at Florence Meat Market and at Ottomanelli's.

April 20, 2012 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@Lady Rosseter, now you have me getting all nostalgic. First of all, looking at this picture of Etan,brings back the day that this happened and his sweet face was plastered all over NY metro newspapers. I do hope that at last it brings some closure to his family. I was living in the West Village at the time on Carmine Street. I stiLl crave all things NYC. Zabars, Dean and DeLuca etc..TY for the trip down memory lane.

April 20, 2012 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  5. bobcat (in a hat) ©

This guy sees a sign in front of a house "Talking Dog for Sale." He rings the bell and the owner tells him the dog is in the back yard. The guy goes into the back yard and sees a mu tt sitting there."You talk?" he asks."Yep," the mu tt replies."So, what's your story?"The mu tt looks up and says "Well, I discovered this gift pretty young and I wanted to help the government, so I told the CIA about my gift, and in no time they had me jetting from country to country, sitting in rooms with spies and world leader, cause no one figured a dog would be eavesdropping. I was one of their most valuable spies eight years running. The jetting around really tired me out, and I knew I wasn't getting any younger and I wanted to settle down. So I signed up for a job at the airport to do some undercover security work, mostly wandering near suspi cious characters and listening in. I uncovered some incredible dealings there and was awarded a batch of medals.Had a wife, a mess of puppies, and now I'm just retired."The guy is amazed. He goes back in and asks the owner what hewants for the dog. The owner says "Ten dollars." The guy says he'll buy him but asks the owner, "This dog is amazing. Why on earth are you selling him?" The owner replies, "He's such a f–ing liar."

April 20, 2012 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  6. bobcat (in a hat) ©

Santa Claus brings poor Rudolph to the vet. He says to the vet, "Doctor, please do something for my Rudolph. His nose won't light up." The vet walks out of the room and returns with a pet carrier. He places the pet carrier next to the reindeer, opens it and out steps a cat. The cat walks around the reindeer and sniffs it. The cat then walks back into the carrier. The animal doctor takes it out of the room and returns. He hands Santa Claus the bill. Santa gasps, "$350 dollars! You didn't do anything for my Rudolph and you're charging me $350 dollars?" The vet shrugged and replied, "That's the usual charge. $50 dollars for the office visit and $300 dollars for the CAT SCAN."

April 20, 2012 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

Leave it to our wonderful @bobcat (iah) to get the Friday Festivities underway. Now I can get my butt moving for the day. You are better than caffeine. TY...

April 20, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Phil Spectre

How can anyone live in SoHo?

April 20, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • JerseyJeff

All SoHo is, is South of Houston Street. SoHo is just short for that.

April 20, 2012 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

@ dazzle ©:
    Hi.
    We've done a lot of similar things. I was on Downing Street. You have to have Zabars transfusions regularly to survive in NYC.
    @ bobcat (iah) ©:
    Hello. CAT SCAN, huh.

April 20, 2012 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

@ Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

How are you doing my friend ? We haven't spoken in a while.

April 20, 2012 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@Joey, Zabars now does mail order, so I get a couple of boxes a year from them. Did Katz close in NYC?

April 20, 2012 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@Joey, if memory serves me well Downing Street is one block over from Carmine St. Who knows maybe we traveled in the same circles, how weird would that be.

April 20, 2012 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  9. bobcat (in a hat) ©

Okay, you've grabbed my interest. What is Zabars ?

April 20, 2012 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  10. bobcat (in a hat) ©

@ dazzle ©

I'm doing pretty well. I have three new men to train so I came into work tonite. But it's all good. I'm trying to get my feet back on the ground. I just left off of that Zimmerman blog. I need to stay away from that the subject. The racist stupid comments just agrravate me to no end. It's sad they we have no good news comment on anymore. I guess that's why I do jokes now. Maybe something "good" can come from me attempting to put a smile on peoples faces.

April 20, 2012 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

I'm glad to hear all is well with you. I read that Zimmerman blog and I too have to stay away. If these posters are really writing their true opinions, this country is in big trouble. Well I love your jokes and I always have a big smile and a hearty laugh when I read them. No the news is the same old stuff and any commentary I make is just repeating myself all over again. I know you are training your new guys well and probably do it with a big smile and humor. Lucky them!

April 20, 2012 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  11. bobcat (in a hat) ©

@ dazzle

Yeah, so far I haven't had any complaints from my newbies. I do interject a lot of humor in my classes and it seems to go over well. I have this practice dummy we use for the CPR training. I named it Margie. I accuse my men of trying to get too familiar with her and threaten them with se xual harrasment charges.

April 20, 2012 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

LMAO at @bobcat(iah) naming the CPR dummy. I just had to renew my CPR AED and was able to do it at the local FD. They were too serious but I passed. That is quite a workout.

April 20, 2012 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@bobcat (iah) forgive me, I almost forgot to ask how your daughter is doing

April 20, 2012 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy ©

OMG, I saw a case where some perv was doing a CPR dummy...they said the stench was unbearable...no information as to what her name was.

I forget where I saw it, but I remember it because of the "EWWWWWWW" factor!

April 20, 2012 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
  12. bobcat (in a hat) ©

It seems like they are changing the techniques for CPR about every six months or so. I have to constantly update myself on these procedures. It's a big pain in the rump.

April 20, 2012 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy ©

My younger daughter just got certified for child and infant CPR.
      That makes me very happy, as I have my grandaughter around a lot...

April 20, 2012 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

When I first learned the infant CPR was when my grandaughter was born 4 months premature. It was a whole new ballgame. I had to forget everything I already knew. If I had used my old skills, I would have blown her up like a ballon and would have had to tie a string around her ankle, to keep her from floating away.

April 21, 2012 at 1:59 am | Report abuse |
  13. banasy ©

@dazzle:
    Thank you for your voicemail.
    It meant the world to me.

April 20, 2012 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@banasy, it was the least I can do. I signed the guest book for Eric on behalf of Tori and her father. Would you mind if I gave Tori the link as I'm sure she would like to use her own voice.

April 20, 2012 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy ©

@dazzle:
      No, of course not. That would be sweet.
      Look again on April 26th; another in memoriam for his birthday: he would have been 32.
      I have to go back and look; I have to prepare myself.

Woohoo!
      TORI'S almost home!

April 20, 2012 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  14. bobcat (in a hat) ©

@ dazzle

My daughter is doing great. She is home now, Fran is out ther taking care of our baby. She initially had four drainage bags, but when she went back to the doctor on Wednesday, they removed two of them. So she is coming along really well so far. She still tires real easy, but what can you expect.
    Thank you so much for asking. That's really sweet of you.

April 20, 2012 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy ©

She is in my thoughts.

April 21, 2012 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

Well thank God for that good news. I'm sure it will take time to get her energy back but she will.

April 21, 2012 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  15. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

@ dazzle:
    Yes, Downing is right at Carmine. I'm sure we went to the same markets and restaurants.. Some have closed. I was not a Katz customer. I agree that the country may have trouble coming.
    @ banasy:
    You know that I identify and feel with you about your son. My sister's birthday just passed. She would have been sixty-two.
    @ bobcat (iah):
    Yep, I stay busy now–am here at odd times. I should renew my CPR. I think they change it to give themselves something to do. I was in a restaurant once with an MD friend who saved a woman with a Heimlich. The idiots at nearby tables were telling him, "stop–you're going to break her ribs." That was a (bad) little French place on the East Side, and the owners were disturbed by the fuss. Why did I think that they might comp the doctor's meal? No way.

April 21, 2012 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |