April 25th, 2012

Wednesday's live events

The focus of the presidential election is turning toward November's general election.  Watch CNN.com Live for all the latest news and views from the campaign trail.

Today's programming highlights...

8:00 am ET - Gingrich breakfast - GOP candidate Newt Gingrich continues his longshot bid for the presidency, despite hints that his candidacy could be coming to an end.  He addresses a county GOP breakfast in Cramerton, North Carolina.

8:30 am ET - Arizona immigration law opponents briefing - The Supreme Court takes up Arizona's controversial immigration law today.  The oral arguments will not be televised, but those for and against the measure will speak with reporters outside the court during the day.

9:30 am ET - Napolitano talks Secret Service scandal - The hearing is scheduled to be on Department of Homeland Security oversight, but there's no doubt that Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano will be asked about the ongoing scandal threatening the Secret Service.

2:00 pm ET - Obama's student loan pitch - President Obama continues his college campus tour with a stop at the University of Iowa, where he'll again push for low student loan rates.

2:15 pm ET - Bernanke talks interest rates - Speaking of rates, the Federal Reserve Board wraps up two days of meetings today on U.S. interest rate policy.  Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke will chat with reporters following the talks.

CNN.com Live is your home for breaking news as it happens.

Filed under: Elections • On CNN.com today • Politics
  1. Superman

Nice morning isnt it ? Hello to those i know

April 25, 2012 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
  2. TORI ©

Good Morning @Superman, it is early but what a glorious day.

April 25, 2012 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

Good morning, Superman.
    Good morning, TORI ©.

It is a pretty nice day, but rain is in the forecast.

We have got to keep the rates pf the student loans down.
    I know many Juniors in HS who are panicing right now!

April 25, 2012 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

S/B 'panicking"

April 25, 2012 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  4. TORI ©

Good Morning to you @banasy, on campus we have many students who are here on student loans and just came to the realization of how deeply in debt their going to be if and when they graduate.

April 25, 2012 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

@TORI ©:
      I can understand that...my elder daughter is still paying off her SL's and she is nearly 31!

April 25, 2012 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
    • TORI ©

@banasy, what line of business is your daughter in?There are resident doctors at the med school who are 100's of thousand dollars in debt. I hope I don't ever have to go the route of student loans.

April 25, 2012 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

TORI ©:
      She audits debt collection agencies...I don't know exactly what that would be called.
      And I understand what you are saying; my doctor, who is also a close friend of my husband's is still paying off medical school loans.

April 25, 2012 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Spam

College is overrated anywho. Never spent a day in a college classroom being brainwashed by a bunch of ex hippies. If I wanted to blow 50 k IDE go to the casino because it's all a big gamble anyways... Join the military let them educate u.

April 25, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bobcat (in a hat) ©

Four best friends met at the hospital since their wives were giving births to their babies. The nurse comes up to the first man and says, "Congratulations, you got twins." The man said "How strange, I'm the manager of Minnesota Twins." After awhile the nurse comes up to the second man and says, "Congratulations, you got triplets." Man was like "Hmmm, strange I worked as a director for the "3 musketeers." Finally, the nurse comes up to the third man and says
    "Congratulations, you got twins x2." Man is happy and says, "Ironic, I work for the hotel "4 Seasons." All three of them are happy until they see their last buddy jumping all over the place, cursing God and banging his head on the wall. They asked him what's wrong and he answered, "What's wrong? I work for 7up"!

Good Morning Everyone.

April 25, 2012 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Ah, nothing like a good cup of coffee and a bobcat joke to brighten my morning!

April 25, 2012 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

Good morning banasy. I am enjoying my coffee as well.

April 25, 2012 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  6. kellyintulsa

lmao good one Bobocat. Good morning everyone. Hope all of you are having a good day. I'm going to see How to eat friend Worms with Mathew at 9. We just finished getting Cindy all registered for college this fall. Thankfully we signed her up for something call Oklahoma Promise. The state will pay almost 90% of her college as long as she goes to college in the state. Through all the crap with her she qualified for it with a 3.4 gpa

April 25, 2012 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

kellyintulsa! Hello!
      I am glad something is going right for you; I know how difficult things are for you right now.
      You will enjoy "How To Eat Fried Worms".

April 25, 2012 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

@kellyintulsa

That is wonderful news about Cindy. It's nice to see they system working properly. Too many times deserving students like your Cindy are denied these opportunities. Good luck.

April 25, 2012 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  7. kellyintulsa

Hi Banasy ! Yeah I know I read the book in 6th grade and can't wait to see the movie.

April 25, 2012 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Matthew will enjoy it.
      Trust me!

April 25, 2012 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  8. TORI ©

@bobcat, I would be remiss in not offering you a good morning. I love to see your jokes at the start of the day. I don't remember you doing this prior to me leaving for France. Kellyintulsa, great to see you as well and great news for Cindy.

April 25, 2012 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

A great Good Morning to you TORI.
      You are correct, I wasn't doing this prior to you leaving. I just got so fed up with the same old, same old, depressing news everyday. You can only say so much about a certain subject before it becomes redundant.
      So, I decided to take a different route to see if I could spread some good amongsr all the gloom and doom. I still throw in my opinion when something grabs my interest.

April 25, 2012 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  9. kellyintulsa

Yes it is great news about Cindy we didn't even think she was going to graduate. Lee and I fought that battle together right up to the end ! Mathew is still at the top of his class and kickin butt in chess club :). He loved the star wars 3d chess set we got him for his birthday. We still have to get Cindy some grants and stuff to pay for books and the dorm room but that's nothing compared to having to come up with tuition. She's going to go to Tulsa Community College and get her basics knocked out then transfer to OU, OSU or one of the other colleges for her specialty classes to become a zoologist.

April 25, 2012 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

That really is great news, kellyintulsa.

April 25, 2012 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  10. kellyintulsa

Just like Leeintulsa I'm pretty darn proud of our kids lol

April 25, 2012 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

He's knows, kellyintulsa.
      He knows.

April 25, 2012 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

G F Y, Jacker, you tedious little POS.

April 25, 2012 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  12. chrissy

@ my troll, i told you go check yourself into the hospital for heavens sake. And find one with a physch ward while youre at it!

April 25, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@chrissy, make sure that psych ward is no where near my state. That individual should eat a sh t sandwich being that they are so obsessed with the topic.

April 25, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  13. chrissy

Good afternoon everyone else! And congrats kelly! And bobcat, lmao, another one please.

April 25, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  14. bobcat (in a hat) ©

A young student reported for a final examination that consisted of only true/false questions. The student took a seat in the hall, stared at the test for five minutes, removed a coin from his pocket and started tossing the coin and marking the answer sheet. Heads meant true, tails meant false. The young student finished the exam in 30 minutes, while the rest of the class was sweating it out. Suddenly, during the last few minutes, the young student began desperately throwing the coin and sweating profusely. The moderator, alarmed, approached the student and asked what was going on. "Well, I finished the exam in half an hour," said the student, "but I thought I ought to recheck my answers."

April 25, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  15. bobcat (in a hat) ©

One day, the Devil challenged the Lord to a baseball game. Smiling the Lord proclaimed, "You don't have a chance; I have Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, and all the greatest players up here". "Yes", snickered the devil, "but I have all the umpires."

April 25, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |