Jordan's Bobcats could set NBA record for worst winning percentage
Bobcats owner Michael Jordan watches the scoreboard during a January game.
April 26th, 2012
11:43 AM ET

Jordan's Bobcats could set NBA record for worst winning percentage

As the NBA ends its regular season Thursday night, one team has a chance to join its owner, Michael Jordan, in the league record books.

The only problem is, while Jordan is at the top of those records, his team could be at the bottom.

If the Charlotte Bobcats lose to the New York Knicks at the Time Warner Cable Arena in Charlotte, North Carolina, on Thursday night, they will finish the regular season with the worst winning percentage in league history: .106 on a record of 7 wins, 59 losses. That would be worse than the 1972-73 Philadelphia 76ers, who finished at .110 (9-73). There is a difference in the number games because this NBA season was shortened by a labor dispute between the league and its players.

The Bobcats are also on a 22-game losing streak. With a loss Thursday night, they'll tie the 1997-98 Denver Nuggets and the 1995-96 Vancouver Grizzlies for the second-longest losing streak in NBA history. Only the 2010-11 Cleveland Cavaliers have strung more losses in a row, 26.

In an interview Wednesday with the Charlotte Observer, Jordan said the Bobcats season will tarnish his legacy, which includes six championships and five Most Valuable Player awards.

“My success will be judged differently,” Jordan told the paper. “I’ve come to accept I’ll be scrutinized more than any other owner. I know now that I have to have a tough skin about these things.”

But there is reason for optimism in Charlotte, win or lose Thursday night. With the league's worst record, the Bobcats have a 25% chance of getting the top pick in this summer's NBA draft. Of course, they have to win that lottery to get the top pick, and there's still a 75% chance they won't.

maryland lottery

Post by:
Filed under: Basketball • NBA • Sports
soundoff (87 Responses)
  1. Wormdog

    When it's over. Leave and don't come back. Yakety yak.

    April 26, 2012 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. BinLaden

    Michael needs to wipe his face and head off with a terry cloth and window to reduce the shine.

    April 26, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  3. BinLaden

    Michael needs to wipe his face and head off with a terry cloth and windex to reduce the shine.

    April 26, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  4. David Crosby

    What do you think the chances of him gambling on NBA games is..I wonder..?

    April 26, 2012 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  5. itoldyuso


    April 26, 2012 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  6. KimJongIL

    Still has as many rings as an owner as LEbron has as a player.

    April 27, 2012 at 4:55 am | Report abuse |
  7. porichkid

    Jordan being a cheapskate when it comes to the bobcats,is no surprise .its different when the money comes outta your pocket.

    April 27, 2012 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  8. mad Jordan

    Jordan is a great player and great person and I don't doubt it. But he has to accept the fact that playing and coaching are totally different. Phill Jackson played in the NBA, but was not a great player but he was great coach. Just because you play the game does not mean that you are going be a great coach. His chances to be a good coach is to coach shooting guards and small forwards. Yeah he may make money, but it surely shows the passion that he still has for the game. We got to remember that just because he has been the greatest player of the game he can also be wrong, The NBA commissioner David Stern and the coaching staff of the Bobcats should man up and tell Jordan how it is remember he is only human.

    April 27, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • etau eg

      I think Jordan is an owner and not the coach. Big difference in role and responsibilities.

      April 30, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  9. willielyte

    I believe Jordan is going to shock the world with multiple championships with the Bobcats.

    April 28, 2012 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Ellen Claire Kowit

    Michael Jordan will become a great coach.

    April 29, 2012 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Phil Spectre

    The Chicago Bulls are one of the worst teams in NBA history.

    April 30, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Nolan Davus

    I can't believe Jordan is still playing.

    April 30, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Let's Get Real

    Most people would like to be great at one thing and Michael was a great player. So what if he isn't great at everything. If you reach the heights that he has, screw it! Not everything he touches should be expected to turn to gold. You never know until you try and good for him for trying instead of just retiring and getting fat... oh wait...

    April 30, 2012 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Eastern Eye

    Jordan is Still Playing. nice...

    May 1, 2012 at 3:43 am | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4