Tigers outfielder arrested; hate crime investigation under way
Detroit Tigers outfielder Delmon Young was in police custody Friday morning.
April 27th, 2012

Tigers outfielder arrested; hate crime investigation under way

Detroit Tigers outfielder Delmon Young was arrested in Manhattan early Friday and charged with aggravated harassment after a dispute with another man, New York police said.

Young appeared intoxicated when police arrived at the scene outside the New York Hilton, and he was treated and released from a hospital Friday morning, police Detective Martin Speechley said. The other person involved in the dispute, a 26-year-old male, sustained minor injuries but refused treatment, Speechley said.

Young was in police custody Friday morning, the detective said.

The aggravated harassment charge is a misdemeanor, but Speechley said the case is being investigated as a possible hate crime because of "religious statements made" during the dispute. If there is evidence to support a hate crime, the seriousness of the charge would be "elevated," he said.

The team issued a brief statement Friday afternoon.

"We are aware of the situation, however it is our club policy not to comment on pending legal matters," the statement said. "As we understand it, this is an allegation and we need to allow the legal process to take its course."

The Tigers are in New York for a three-game series against the Yankees beginning Friday.

The team lost to the Seattle Mariners in Detroit on Thursday afternoon before flying to New York.

Post by:
Filed under: Baseball • Crime • Hate crime • Sports
  1. gager

What hate crime is he being charged with?

April 27, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Ripley, believe it! Or dont!

Lol sorry Mary i missed your last post before i answered you again. Old age!

April 27, 2012 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

I Yes, I have bouts of old age as well. 😉 lol

April 27, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  3. lvmsleader

Isn't this the same guy who, when he was called out on strikes he threw the bad and hit the umpire? This happened in the minor leagues.

April 27, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Austyn

Yes. And he's had several other discipline problems, too. I don't know why he's still on a roster, let alone in the sport as a whole. He's not some superstar (not saying that it should be looked over if he were), that everyone wants to sign. I don't know why he hasn't dropped out of the sport or why any owner would want to pay him anything other than to go away.

April 27, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  4. bobcat (in a hat) ©

Not banasy© at 3:13

April 27, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Wotzzamattawidyouz

Paul should have been executed by those he worked for...Oh, my bad, he was...

April 27, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

The above post is not by me.
    I have been on here many times stating that I will wait for the evidence.
    My clever little jacker would do well to remember that.

I don't know anything about Tiger's baseball, nor their players.
    I do not know was said, or if this gentleman was ever discriminated against.
    My little troll writes somewhat nicely, but has no idea of my views.

It is always fun reading these blogs.

P.S.: I am not a racist, and I am white.

April 27, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • noworries

You must be a racist because you are white...sorry that's just how it works...so am I

April 27, 2012 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy©

Thanks, bc(iah); I'm glad you recognized that.

April 27, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Ripley, believe it! Or dont!

Philip what ARE you talking about? Hens? I dont know about you but im a baseball fan, and it makes me sick that my grandchildren look up to people like this, and they have no regard whatsoever what kind of impact their actions have on young people!

April 27, 2012 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  9. lilly

Only in New York. Get a life people hate crime my foot! what a bunch of cry babies.

April 27, 2012 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Sagebrush Shorty

How can an African American commit a hate crime? It's an impossibility according to our Justice Department.

April 27, 2012 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jonathan

Scrolling down, I saw the Tigers cap and thought to myself "who would have..."

And then I saw Delmon Young and all possibility of being surprised left me. Guy's been a reputable punk/goon since his days in the Rays system when he threw a bat at an umpire.

April 27, 2012 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Terry

I must have been asleep. Do people still support the American Steroids League?

April 27, 2012 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Ripley, believe it! Or dont!

Thank you Jonathan, yes he is! And shame on Mike Ilitch for firing Brandon Inge yesterday and keeping this idiot. Dumbest move since letting Granderson go!

April 27, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Now Why

This guy is actualy angry because he lost to the Mariners

April 27, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Nicole

I love the Tigers and support our players as much as I can. But this is just terrible to hear. I hope it's investigated and somehow there was a mistake made. There's no room for hatred and discrimination anywhere, and that includes sports. The season barely started and my Tigers are coming apart.

April 27, 2012 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |