Gotta Watch: People who have survived falls
A man falls from a tower scaffold during a music festival in Sydney and survives.
April 30th, 2012

Gotta Watch: People who have survived falls

Imagine the fear of losing control and falling unexpectedly to the ground - or even underground. CNN.com has compiled video of people who have survived such incidents captured on camera. You've gotta watch how they make it through their rough landings.

Scaffold climber falls in Australia

Watch the video to find out how this climber fell and what message he gave to a crowd of spectators after he landed on the ground.

Teen survives fall off escalator

Listen to Shane O'Malley explain what may have contributed to his fall and see where he landed.

Teen on cell falls through sidewalk

See how a cell phone call got one girl in trouble and watch who pulled her out of the ground.

Post by:
Filed under: Australia • Boston • China • Gotta Watch • Massachusetts • U.S. • World
  1. hamsta

i got knocked off a container ship and fell 30 ft landing upside down on my head.i fractured my skull.my hard hat put a 6 inch gash in my scalp.i fractured two vertebrae and my hip.i shattered my rib cage like a piece of glass.the doctor calls me his medical mystery.he says that if my skull injury didnt kill me my ribs being shattered shouldve killed me and if my ribs being shattered didnt kill me the amount of blood i lost from the gash in my head should have killed me.he then said surviving all that that i should be parylized due to compression of spine and not being parylized i definitely shouldnt be able to walk.out of all that movement of my arms was the only thing i had problems with.he swears that scientifically i shouldnt be living or walking.i told him there are some things science cant explain and god is one of those things.

April 30, 2012 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

I think I saw the same thing happen to Fred Flintstone once.

April 30, 2012 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • CAL

True that brother.

May 1, 2012 at 1:47 am | Report abuse |
  2. hamsta

Doctors think they can fix everything with pills and surgery.physical therapists fix things without drugs and use surgery as a last resort.

April 30, 2012 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  3. raven

I was gonna make a crack about falling in love, but I'm happily IN love, so I won't.

April 30, 2012 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  4. G. Zeus™

Oh, man, that stuff always makes me cringe to watch. And I usually ask "why are they clearly insane?"..

April 30, 2012 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  5. raven

And hello dazzle and hamsta!

April 30, 2012 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  6. hamsta

Thats a true story and my whole point of telling it is that the real drug dealer is the doctor and his drugs dont fix anything.high strength painkillers are as addictive as heroine because they are made from heroine.the drugs the doctor gives you are worse than street drugs.xanax is what killed whitney houston.my physical therapist helped me heal my doctor just wanted to turn me into a junkie.

April 30, 2012 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  7. hamsta

hello back @dazzle and raven

April 30, 2012 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
  8. BOMBO ©

Hi all.

I tripped over a dog and scratched my chin once. CNN should feature me in a video.

April 30, 2012 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Pope Benedict XVI

What about the fall of Satan. Classic.

April 30, 2012 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  10. hamsta

@dazzle 7 years ago on jan 5 2005.now you know why i dont like the doctor.dont worry i didnt like the physical therapist at first.she was pulling my arms and it really hurt.by the end of it i felt better every time i left her.she made me do all these weird exercises and stretches.she taught me alot about how the body works.all the muscles that move your arms attach to your rib cage and if you break your ribs bad enough you cant move your arms.my few final sessions were about alternative exercises to maintain health.she warned me strongly to never listen to the muscleheads in the gymn unless i wanted to see her again.some of the exercises she showed me seem really stupid but they work and if i dont do them i get really bad cramps and spasms.i highly recommend going to a physical therapist for any injury.alot of surgeries and pain meds can be avoided.

April 30, 2012 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  11. chrissy

not me @ 9:42 Wow hamsta, and you still work? I would be afraid of heights for life. But yep my chiropractor got rid of my carpal tunnel, so i believe ya! And @ BOMBO you are hillarious lmfao!

May 1, 2012 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  12. stealers wheel

Hey hamsta! tell,em bout time you got stuck on the middle of wheel.i

May 1, 2012 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
  13. McGuffin

This is sickening, CNN. You should be ashamed of this blood lust crap. Why don't you just build a Colosseum?

May 1, 2012 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
  14. Shaun velez

@hamsta...totally agree with you about the pain meds and all that...I just withdrew myself from a pain clinic today...I got tired of taking pain meds all the dam time....now I'm going through this crazy withdrawal from those stupid pain meds....I'm not going to be like all the those pill heads who go to the pain clinic to just get pain meds...going to look into getting back into my p90x...their was a stretch routine in their that really helped with my routine...I warn you all, pain meds are not necessary..I hurt my back from a fall a couple years ago and totally regret taking pain meds....

May 1, 2012 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  15. raven

@Art of Conversation: hello. And please, put your eye back in. Are YOU going to post a comment on the topic? Or are you just going to police the comments of others?

May 1, 2012 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |