Gotta Watch: Professionals of the Kentucky Derby
Horses run down the front stretch during the 137th Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs on May 7, 2011 in Louisville, Kentucky.
May 5th, 2012

Gotta Watch: Professionals of the Kentucky Derby

Today is the day for the 138th annual Run for the Roses.  The race is more than mint juleps, elaborate hats and the most exciting two minutes in sports. The Kentucky Derby boasts legends and stars, human and equine alike.  You've Gotta Watch a few of the professionals involved in one of the most watched horse races of the year. We've collected videos profiling a top trainer, a jockey making a post-recovery comeback and the stud farm that welcomes the champions after they've won the race.

Barbaro's trainer returns to Kentucky

Venezuelan-born jockey talks Derby

Breeding Kentucky Derby studs

A very indulgent guide to Louisville
Photos: The best Derby hats
Why the 'Run for the Roses' is so special

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • horses • Kentucky • Sports • U.S.
  1. bobcat (in a hat) ©

Wow, I guess whoever it is, really does have it in for me today. All my jokes on the Biden story have been deleted too.
    banasy and dazzle . It left it like you're talking to yourselves. And the comments are all scrambled again.
    I've just about had my fill of CNN.

May 5, 2012 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@bobcat(iah) what the heck is going on with this site? Our little back and forth seems gone but I wanted to reply about the temps you are having. 95% humidity!!! The ambient temp here is 95 with 7% humidity and it still feels like an oven. I hope you have a pool and Central AC. Notice that chrissy's trash talker is still up here. I am going to check the Biden thread.

May 5, 2012 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Word!

May 5, 2012 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

@ dazzle ©

I don't know what's going on here. It seems to me they would want to get rid of the nasty mouthed trolls before they take out a jokester. But noooooo, they obviously like the bad mouths and/or are doing it themselves.

And on the weather, where you are is like a blast furnace. Here it's like a perpetual sauna. If you were in Nawlins during the summer, you know exactly what I mean.

May 5, 2012 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

I just chatted with my champion jumper (100-plus trophies) friend about the Kentucky Derby, and he said he doesn't care who won as the horses are raced when they are too young. He considers it cruel and can't watch.

May 5, 2012 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@bobcat(in a hat), I lasted 1 year in NO and we moved to Florida. Humidity is not my friend but here its like putting your body in an oven. You have to do chores and exercise very early in the morning or else. In the South you can take a shower and get out and feel like you have to go right back in and the towels never dry..Heck I am never satisfied with the weather.

May 5, 2012 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

@dazzle:
    I noticed that, but it is not what you think.
    Chrissy's jacker had posted.
    The next username was about the side effects, but it was on an exteremely old thread. It is the same person who hawks candles using a very long username.
    It didn't say chrissy and then the list; it was two different posts.
    Am I making any sense?

May 5, 2012 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@banasy, another weird deal with that. Candle hawker on here, ignore.

May 5, 2012 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • ♚Mmmmm♛

lol...one dazzling candle hawker?

May 6, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Super Car

[Endora 'pops' in while Darrin has a day off from work.]
    Samantha: Mother, Darrin's off today.
    Endora: I think you're just noticing it for the first time.

May 5, 2012 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Three Wishes

Samantha: Darrin, I'm leaving you.
    Darrin: Sam!
    Samantha: I'm going home to mother.
    Darrin: What do you mean "going home to mother"? Your mother's always here.

May 5, 2012 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Three Wishes

[Referring to Darrin's beautiful, but snobby, client.]
    Samantha: Personally, I think she should see a plastic surgeon.
    Darrin: What for?
    Samantha: To have her nose lowered.

May 5, 2012 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  7. The Crone of Cawdor

Samantha: When the earth turns once around the sun, let the crone go forth til the day is done. Another's form she'll take and her form leave, from 6 in the morn til 6 in the eve. And in this guise if she can secure, a willing kiss from a mortal pure. To her will pass the mortal's youth, to him will pass her age forsooth. [Legend of the Crone of Cawdor]

[edit] Season 4

May 5, 2012 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

This is wonderful! By arbitrarily deleting comments, CNN has achieved a masterpiece of lack of continuity.
    If this were a new musical composition, it would win a Pulitzer Prize.
    One of my teachers, Rudolph Ganz, once said to a young composer, John Cage, "ja, John–I mean, for your music, you really don't need a Steinway piano."
    That's what you've got here.
    It's a perfect game of Cross Questions and Crooked Answers.

May 5, 2012 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  9. LMAO!

@ banasy 🙂

May 5, 2012 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • LMAO!

🙂 miss you

May 5, 2012 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Maybe I miss you too; I don't know who you are.

May 5, 2012 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • LMAO!

Who ever you want me to be 😉

May 5, 2012 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I want you to be honest.
      If I know you under another name, say it...

May 5, 2012 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  10. dazzle ©

@CNN @nsaidi, This thread is a perfect example of something that is not right in your internal organization. @bobcat (in a hat) brings sunshine into our lives every day by posting a joke. Your customers look forward to those jokes. Somehow trolls or hijackers of names are permitted to post negative and incendiary commentary and regardless of how many times one presses abuse these horrible comments are permitted to stay. Your bloggers are your customers and with the economic climate being what it is, we can go elsewhere. As regulars we have formed a cyber bond with each other that transcends what most people find in the real world. Please ensure that trainees are given every opportunity to be trained correctly. A well trained employee will be a net positive for your organization and conversely we know what the results will be. I appreciate your support in this matter and my email is provided if you are open for discussion on this.

May 5, 2012 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

@ @ dazzle ©

Thank you so much for those kind words sweet lady. But alas, I'm sure you are talking to the proverbial brick wall.

May 5, 2012 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • LMAO!

You couldn't beat a fat man up a hill! be quiet, sit down, and shut up !

May 5, 2012 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

What is the DEAL with these posts?

May 5, 2012 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@bobcat(in a hat), well this brick wall better talk back. They don't know what their customers do for a living and plugs can be pulled if you get my drift.

May 5, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  12. bobcat (in a hat) ©

Who ? What ? What's that ? You talkin' to me ? You talkin' to me ? Well, I don't see nobody else around, so you must be talkin' to me. What ? Who said that ? Aaaaaaaahhhhhhh. They're everywhere. They're everywhere.

May 5, 2012 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  13. banasy©

Ah, getting abusive.
    Typical, and so mature.

May 5, 2012 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@banasy, who is this LMAO? It better not be talking to me about not beating a fat man up a hill.

May 5, 2012 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

@dazzle?
      Don't know.
      Someone with a somewhat different sense of humor, lol.

May 5, 2012 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  14. AOL Chat Room 1997

This is not possible or is it?

May 5, 2012 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  15. @banasy

Is it true your breath smells like a sewer?

May 6, 2012 at 2:02 am | Report abuse |