Obama: Same-sex couples should have right to marry
President Obama told ABC on Wednesday that gays should have the right to get married.
May 9th, 2012

Obama: Same-sex couples should have right to marry

President Barack Obama said in an interview with ABC that "it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same-sex couples should be able to get married."

With his Wednesday announcement, the president reversed his longstanding position on the issue. It came on the heels of his own vice president and education secretary saying they were in favor of gay marriage.

According to an ABC blog post, Obama further described his thought process as an "evolution" that progressed as he discussed the issue with staff members, gay and lesbian service members and his own family.

He said he thinks Americans are growing increasingly comfortable with the concept of gay marriage and cited his own daughters' views on the matter.

“It’s interesting, some of this is also generational,” he said. “You know, Malia and Sasha, they have friends whose parents are same-sex couples. There have been times where Michelle and I have been sitting around the dinner table and we’re talking about their friends and their parents.

"And Malia and Sasha, it wouldn’t dawn on them that somehow their friends’ parents would be treated differently. It doesn’t make sense to them, and frankly, that’s the kind of thing that prompts a change in perspective.”

Read CNN's full coverage of President Barack Obama's stance on gay marriage
soundoff (1,355 Responses)
  1. Derek

Wow. And to think he came to this conclusion in an election year. Go figure!

May 9, 2012 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joshua Hillman

I have always been Pro Obama, yet i have to say im disappointed it took him so long to "evolve".

May 9, 2012 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  3. slifty

This is a horrible comment system. Thanks CNN, now my satirical post against the guy just looks racist. *BOO*

also w00t for Obama not being a bigot 🙂 good move Mr. president

May 9, 2012 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Langor

I'll bet he'd dance Mr. Bojangles if he thought it would get him elected. Another politician pandering to special interests, another hypocrite, what else is new? No votes here Daddy-O.

May 9, 2012 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  5. kate

OBAMA 2012! Read this months Salt Lake City Magazine. Front cover, "The Myth of Mitt!"

May 9, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Paul

Thank you, Mr. President. Hopefully, one day soon, my marriage will be recognized throughout the country.

May 9, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  7. longshot

the small minded religious southern types are a shrinking minority – the numbers show it, they will be gone in a generation or two at most...it's only a matter of time before, hopefully, we live in a more tolerant society. Then again, this is America and we always need someone to put down

May 9, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • piers morgan

you dont sound very tolerant

May 9, 2012 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Common Decency

There are religious southern people who believe in Gay marriage. I was raised in Alabama my whole life and I speak for all of my friends there when I say Gay people should have the right to get married.

May 9, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • 30A girl

Hey Hey Hey now... I am in the South... and I cant stand the radical christian BS! I promise you all us "Southerners" are not like this. But I know we will never shake the sterotype in my lifetime – so for now I'll just raise my hand and say Thank You Mr. President! Signed a registered Republican who will once AGAIN vote for you in November!

May 9, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  8. racedogg2

It also makes me happy that he came out with this stance BEFORE the election. The politician Obama would have waited because he didn't want to lose votes. The human Obama knows that this is the right thing to do, and that makes me respect him more as a person.

May 9, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Chickenman

We finally have a President that thinks things trough then acts and his actions have been great! Saved car industry and millions of jobs, killed most sub leaders and osama bin laden, got us at least talking about healthcare with his bill, equal rights for gays, equal pay for women, getting us out of two wars we should have never been in and on and on this election the dems will take back house, control senate and presidency graety news!!! can't wait for rommney to take credit for equality for gays like he did the car industry OBAMA and DEMS 2012

May 9, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  10. itsme

you guys voted for change now we got it, great job. The Lord will continue to judge America if we dont repent

May 9, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Susan Tetewsky

Good for Obama. Great for the US! That should PO the religious right!

May 9, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Rick

after this the next thing on his agenda is Islamization of the USA ! Obama must go! voted for him once not twice!

May 9, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Brad

Lost my vote O..............

May 9, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  14. youknownada

I don't care if you support Obama or not, this is not a smart strategy for his campaign. He is taking a position that is still not well received in this country.

May 9, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • R Low

To youknownada,
      This is not a strategy. This is what his whole campaign is about – fairness, compassion, inclusion. And, I disagree,
      I do think the majority believes that each adult person should be able to love, and to marry, anyone they choose to.

May 9, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Shawn

I have two friends that have been together 45 years. A lot longer then any of Newt Gingrich's unions. Enough said!!

May 9, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |