Obama: Same-sex couples should have right to marry
President Obama told ABC on Wednesday that gays should have the right to get married.
May 9th, 2012

Obama: Same-sex couples should have right to marry

President Barack Obama said in an interview with ABC that "it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same-sex couples should be able to get married."

With his Wednesday announcement, the president reversed his longstanding position on the issue. It came on the heels of his own vice president and education secretary saying they were in favor of gay marriage.

According to an ABC blog post, Obama further described his thought process as an "evolution" that progressed as he discussed the issue with staff members, gay and lesbian service members and his own family.

He said he thinks Americans are growing increasingly comfortable with the concept of gay marriage and cited his own daughters' views on the matter.

“It’s interesting, some of this is also generational,” he said. “You know, Malia and Sasha, they have friends whose parents are same-sex couples. There have been times where Michelle and I have been sitting around the dinner table and we’re talking about their friends and their parents.

"And Malia and Sasha, it wouldn’t dawn on them that somehow their friends’ parents would be treated differently. It doesn’t make sense to them, and frankly, that’s the kind of thing that prompts a change in perspective.”

Read CNN's full coverage of President Barack Obama's stance on gay marriage
soundoff (1,355 Responses)
  1. owebama

THE WOOKIE IS A MAN !!!!!!!!!!!

May 9, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Newport Pagnell

Evolving=Flipflopery

May 9, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Thank you!

What I am failing to understand is why gay marriage is even a question.

Forbidding gay marriage not only is a SERIOUS violation of human rights, it's also a completely disrespectful, and frankly immature position to take.

Hey, I am a Christian, and I do my best to allow my faith to inform my decisions. I also recognize that the United States is not a theocracy. So as much as many of you may want to use your "Christianity" as an argument, it just doesn't work in this situation. Also, it's embarrassing. I would really like to be proud of my religion and excited about the Christian community, but honestly I am irritated that so many Christians seem to be unable to make logical, informed decisions. God doesn't hate gay people. Neither should you.

May 9, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • NickNotes

This is great news! Now maybe I can live with my goat and nobody should care, what is the deference?

May 9, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • logan5

Except for the part about allowing your faith to dictate your decisions you speak some wise and powerful words. As an atheist I would like to say that it is a pleasure to share this planet with you my Christian friend. If only the rest were like you. *sigh*....someday, someday maybe

May 9, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. sortakinda

As Woody Guthrie sang: "So long, it's been good to know you." Blame Biden for shooting you in the foot, Barack.

May 9, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Brennon

Thank you president Obama for reigniting the culture wars and putting the evangelical vote in Romney's pocket.

May 9, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Daveinil

Yep, time to stir up another controversy to obscure Obama's failures as a President. We should start a pool as to what will be the next one.

May 9, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  7. goodegyptian

If there's no god then marriage is nothing but life benefits.

May 9, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • ArchieDeBunker

If there's no god, good egyptian, where did you come from – or are you just a figment of our imagination?

May 9, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cedar Rapids

close. its also showing the world a commitment to a person.

May 9, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Marjan

Good for you Mr. President. I am so proud to have such a leader. I have two boys and I hope they are straight and it is just because I know how tough gays and lesbians have to fight for their rights. Obama/Biden 2012

May 9, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Dokken

OBAMA 2012!

May 9, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Steve- Illinois

3 1/2 years and finally, 6 months before an election, he's all for it!!!! Amazing!

Free birth control, for your votes!
    Cheaper student loans, for your votes!
    Gay marriage, for your votes!

What's next? My money is on......immigration reform, for your votes! (Didn't he promise that last time?)

Keep hopin for change!!!

Then vote to change Obama's address back to Chicago!!

May 9, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cedar Rapids

he tried immigration reform but the repubs shot it down remember?

May 9, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • K

You have no clue Steve! He may loose more votes by standing for gay marriage..I would dare Romney to say his health care reform was a blue print for obama's health care (single payer system would have been a better solution) however long before the elections..You need guts boy and this guy showed it by using all his political might to fix health care as he knew it wouldn't be possible once too long into his presidency (He could have used it to pass another bail out for govt jobs and that would have added 1 million + jobs). And he also showed it by taking the decision to kill Osama..

If you are against gay marriage – Gays are just wired that way in their brains..let them get married. Believe in Science or else there is no difference between the fools in Afghanistan and you.

May 9, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Pippa

Vote trolling...

May 9, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  12. B

Thank You Mr. President for standing up for true Democracy where the majority cannot vote away the rights of the minority.

May 9, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Kicks

Thank you President Obama. Stand up for the freedoms this country was built on.

May 9, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Yuri

Well Romney got my vote.

May 9, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nini

Yurl please! As if this is the statement that made it clear for you. Please keep it real and STOP THE BS!

May 9, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Nini

I am so proud of my President!

May 9, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |