Obama: Same-sex couples should have right to marry
President Obama told ABC on Wednesday that gays should have the right to get married.
May 9th, 2012

Obama: Same-sex couples should have right to marry

President Barack Obama said in an interview with ABC that "it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same-sex couples should be able to get married."

With his Wednesday announcement, the president reversed his longstanding position on the issue. It came on the heels of his own vice president and education secretary saying they were in favor of gay marriage.

According to an ABC blog post, Obama further described his thought process as an "evolution" that progressed as he discussed the issue with staff members, gay and lesbian service members and his own family.

He said he thinks Americans are growing increasingly comfortable with the concept of gay marriage and cited his own daughters' views on the matter.

“It’s interesting, some of this is also generational,” he said. “You know, Malia and Sasha, they have friends whose parents are same-sex couples. There have been times where Michelle and I have been sitting around the dinner table and we’re talking about their friends and their parents.

"And Malia and Sasha, it wouldn’t dawn on them that somehow their friends’ parents would be treated differently. It doesn’t make sense to them, and frankly, that’s the kind of thing that prompts a change in perspective.”

Read CNN's full coverage of President Barack Obama's stance on gay marriage
soundoff (1,355 Responses)
  1. Mackenzie

I am happy he came out and states his position. He is a Christian and believes that marriage should be between two people in love and cannot be dictated by a passage in a book.

May 9, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • chant

Well said.

May 9, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bonnieblue

True Chrisitans believe that the Bible is the word of God. It is not just some book.

May 10, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  2. JeffinIL

Since Obama has apparently conceded the election, I suppose I should congratulate Mitt Romney on his win.

May 9, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Bubba

You can try as you might to keep a group or population segregated without the same rights as everyone else, but sooner or later that group will win the same freedoms as everyone else.

May 9, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Eric

I wish more laws would be passed like they did in North Carolina! Mr President, maybe you should take a lesson from them! I also hope we fix the mistake that we made four years ago, and make you a one term president.

May 9, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • quitthedayjob

I wish more laws would be passed that would stop ignorance from spreading, because apparently that's a bigger threat to our country than gay marriage.

May 9, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  5. DEB

LET'S JUST MAKE IT LEGAL TO BE ABLE TO MARRY YOUR DOG OR CAT OR MORE THAN ONE PERSON. THAT IS ALSO MARRIAGE EQUALITY.

May 9, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mr Dalloway

Why would you want to marry an animal?

May 9, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pilgrim

You are an idiot. I'm not flinging insults, I'm stating a fact.

May 9, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • L1012

Agreed! Because none of those things hinder your life, liberty, or pursuit of happiness. But not allowing them might hinder someone else's. Good call, I agree it should be legal!

May 9, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • apeman

you have a horse in mind? can't wait for the reception in the barn...

May 9, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • lynne

First of all, cool it on the caps lock, it makes you look childish – unless of course you're 12.

Second, equating interSPECIES relations with two consenting HUMAN adults (see, animals can't give consent, much as children or the mentally handicapped can't) is ridiculous and just so ignorant I don't know if I should laugh or cry.

Your argument is invalid.

May 9, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim in PA

It's already legal to marry more than one person; just ask Newt Gingrich. And it's already legal to marry an animal; just ask Newt's ex-wives.

May 9, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • kayak61

Deb, Deb, Deb, Deb, Deb. Is that really the only argument you can come up with? The discussion is about humans. EQUAL humans. I'll bet you are just sorry you can't vote against the vote for women or against equality of races. Or does it just make you feel better about yourself to feel "more equal" than other people. Look in the mirror and you'll see a bigot and a bully!

May 9, 2012 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • koza dereza

If dogs and cats voted, Obama would support that too.

May 9, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • TJB

@ Deb: Is your dog hot?

May 10, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jim in PA

God intended for one man to marry one woman! Well, except for Newt Gingrich and Rudy Giuliani, then it's one man and three women (so far...). Wait... what was I talking about again?

May 9, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  7. WestCoastBro

If "marriage" is not for gay, lesbian, transgender, etc.... then what about Atheist? Non-Christians?

SEPARATION OF CHURCH and STATE.

May 9, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  8. newyorkknows

He has my vote – end discrimination!!! Marriage is a civil right and has nothing to do with religion. Keep your religion to yourself!!!!!!

May 9, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Ed Sr of Dallas Tx

Joe Biden finally got him to say YES to get the vote!

May 9, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  10. koza dereza

Well, Obama that seals the deal. No more Obama.

May 9, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ConsiderThis

Who establishes what's right and wrong, good and bad, moral and immoral, legal and illegal? There you go.

May 9, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son.

Zeus

May 9, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Mark

Wow...does he have any values that he will stand behind? It seems to me that he will say and do ANYTHING to get re-elected.

May 9, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • apeman

really mark....this could be viewed as political suicide after the NC vote....you're idiot...

May 9, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Like having gays in the military. Gee this was a surprise to you. You were not going to vote for him anyway.

May 9, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  13. apeman

Way to go POTUS!!!!! Great that you put human rights before your political career. A TRUE LEADER! I knew I made the right choice!!!

May 9, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Wyomngal

I can't vote for the Republicans, they are against women. Now I can't vote for Obama, he's for gay marriage. Where will this nonsense stop? I would like someone to tell me how we have strayed so far off our moral compasses.

May 9, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • apeman

your compass was broken a long time ago....

May 9, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son.

So you are for equality for one group but not another. Sounds like a typical republican to me.

May 9, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • kayak61

Wyomngal: There's a big world outside of Wyoming. Get your head out of the sand (or haystack)!
      Why do you care whether gays want to get married? Is it a control issue or insecurity or too much time on your hands?
      Do you monitor everything that your neighbours do? Why not just live your life and leave everyone else alone? I don't get it.

May 9, 2012 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Pilgrim

I'm curious how many of the religious zealots in this forum are divorced.

May 9, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |