Obama: Same-sex couples should have right to marry
President Obama told ABC on Wednesday that gays should have the right to get married.
May 9th, 2012

Obama: Same-sex couples should have right to marry

President Barack Obama said in an interview with ABC that "it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same-sex couples should be able to get married."

With his Wednesday announcement, the president reversed his longstanding position on the issue. It came on the heels of his own vice president and education secretary saying they were in favor of gay marriage.

According to an ABC blog post, Obama further described his thought process as an "evolution" that progressed as he discussed the issue with staff members, gay and lesbian service members and his own family.

He said he thinks Americans are growing increasingly comfortable with the concept of gay marriage and cited his own daughters' views on the matter.

“It’s interesting, some of this is also generational,” he said. “You know, Malia and Sasha, they have friends whose parents are same-sex couples. There have been times where Michelle and I have been sitting around the dinner table and we’re talking about their friends and their parents.

"And Malia and Sasha, it wouldn’t dawn on them that somehow their friends’ parents would be treated differently. It doesn’t make sense to them, and frankly, that’s the kind of thing that prompts a change in perspective.”

Read CNN's full coverage of President Barack Obama's stance on gay marriage
soundoff (1,355 Responses)
  1. Doug

Way to go Mr. President.. Time to end the bigotry this land suffers from..

2. Mike

This is the sign of a great leader.

3. jesse

wow, bigger news than his stance on gay marriage is that a politician for once said what he believes and not what is politically easy. he may have just won me back

4. whatahit

Why don't we just make this easy and take it out of the government's hands (where it never should have been!). Have one license for all domestic unions, then let each couple have a ceremony as their hearts or faith observe.

5. Jerome Horowitz

Folks confuse love and s e x. This is about love. S e x you can get anytime.

6. Scheer

Pander pander pander.

I'm pro pro pro gay marriage. But I don't believe BHO.

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6K9dS9wl7U&w=640&h=360]

7. Sagebrush Shorty

Why do gays want to get married? After all they can't reproduce. All they can do is recruit or try to adopt.

• Cardiac50

I got married years after either of us could (or would want to) have children.. so. what was the point of our wanting marriage.. pretty much the same as gay couples I assume..

May 9, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • m

I'm going to guess the same reason why other people want to get married.

May 9, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Katherine Roskam

I am a Catholic nurse and Mother of four, straight for 67 years. I am so proud of our president!

9. Crom2112

This still doesn't do a thing about Obama being the most imcompetent president this country ever elected.

• Jack from Tennessee

Really!!! You are an idiot... Ever heard of GWB...

May 9, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  10. GONZO

OBAMA REVERSES HIS POSITION, NOW HE'S BENDING OVER FOR THE MONEY

11. Gary

The only thing that is ruining this country is the religious fanatics. Why should someone who isn't religious be forced to suffer under religious laws? This was a country created under religious freedom without a religious affiliation. Your "god" does not belong in government or laws. I don't believe in your god. Why should I be forced to follow your rules? I'm not gay but I approve of this. Is is likely the best thing Obama has done and I have supported him the whole time.

12. cworr

Republicans should thank Obama. This should help fire up the religious right and give them a reason to actually go vote in November, which is more than candidate-elect Romney could do on his own.

13. Reality Check

Agree that f a g g o t s should be allowed to be just as miserable as straight men by getting married. However, chuckles announcement means zip. Every state, including California, votes it down.

14. Newport Pagnell

They are DEVO...

May 9, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  15. m

Instead of making a general statement, why don't you do something about it!! This is a civil rights issue, it will require federal action.

May 9, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |