Overheard on CNN.com: 'I stand with Joe Arpaio,' reader says about lawsuit
A Justice Department report describes "a pervasive culture of discriminatory bias against Latinos" in Joe Arpaio's office.
May 10th, 2012

Overheard on CNN.com: 'I stand with Joe Arpaio,' reader says about lawsuit

The Justice Department filed a civil lawsuit against Sheriff Joe Arpaio and Maricopa County, Arizona, on Thursday.

"They're using me for the Latino vote, showing that they're doing something, taking on the sheriff over an alleged racial profiling," Arpaio told reporters in Phoenix. Our readers had varying takes on the controversial sheriff, illegal immigration and Arizona in general.

Arpaio: 'I will fight this to the bitter end'

Readers debated whether the federal government should be getting involved.

Tr1Xen: "I stand with Joe Arpaio on this one. Illegal immigration should be fought vigorously, and I applaud the State of Arizona and the Maricopa County Sheriff's Department for taking that fight much more seriously than the Obama administration has. Heck, the Obama administration found fault in Texas' recent legislation requiring registered voters to provide photo ID, claiming that it discriminated against Latinos because they disproportionately lack photo identification (even though they are every bit as eligible to obtain photo identification, provided they are here legally). By the way, as a Texan, if that legislation is overturned by the federal government or isn't in effect on Election Day, I plan to wear a name tag with someone else's name on it when I go to vote. I'll tell them my correct name and to just ignore the name tag on my clothing. I urge others to do likewise! :)"

NoTarOnBeach: "Then you stand with a criminal. If you are OK with the police working outside the laws, then don't complain when the police abuse carries over to you."

19volks71: "Thank you. The federal government has no business in county level operations."

These people spoke out against Arpaio.

Ed Campbell: "Is there anyone in Arizona government who actually cares about civil rights?"

katepig: "Doesn't look like it does it. I'm from Arizona, but I've escaped. Joe Arpaio is one of the most corrupt sheriffs in the U.S. This guy is such a profound scumbag, I'm glad they're finally taking some action in regard to his vile behavior. If he and Jan Brewer were permanently removed from service, there would just be 100 more racist rednecks to take there place. Political buffoonery is par for the course in AZ."

These commenters wrote in support of Arpaio.

Tjscott: "So let's get this straight. Arizona has one of the highest immigration problems in the United States with the VAST majority of these illegals being Hispanic. Key words being illegal and Hispanic. Now, we're going to sue the person we put in charge of enforcing laws in a particular county of Arizona. The circus act that is the U.S. Justice Department is going to sue the guy who is supposed to get rid of people breaking laws (hence, 'illegals' in the earlier portion of this note), sending a clear message that you shouldn't actually arrest the grossly overpopulated illegal Hispanics. Wow. That makes no sense at all. I hope the terrorists succeed in taking out D.C. next time."

tgloege: "Leave Joe alone for crying out loud! If we had a sheriff like Joe in every county in the U.S., we'd have far fewer illegal aliens sucking up taxpayer money."

Aaaaand ... cue the state-on-state rivalries.

ProfLogie: "I've traveled through Maricopa County ... didn't stop or buy anything though ... Tried not to spend any money in the backwards state of Arizona."

Cat Nippy: "I once considered retiring in Arizona. No more. To paraphrase an old quotation, if I owned hell and Arizona, I would live in hell and rent out Arizona."

novax: "Yea, probably from the progressive state of California!"

What's your opinion of Arpaio? Share your opinion in the comments area below and in the latest stories on CNN.com. Or sound off on video via CNN iReport.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Joe Arpaio • Justice • Lawsuit • Overheard on CNN.com • U.S.
  1. Mary

15 hrs of work in one day, does not make one coherent ! ;(

May 11, 2012 at 12:16 am | Report abuse |
  2. Sofa King

Forcing lawbreakers to sleep in a tent and eat baloney sammiches is cruel and unusual punishment. O'bama is sure on top of it, isn't he.

May 11, 2012 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  3. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

@Mary
    Superwide.
    If your a fan of Myth Busters, they had an episode where they were trying to bust the myth that people have been launched out of cannons, hurled over international boundries and land on a huge mattress on the other side.

May 11, 2012 at 1:39 am | Report abuse |
  4. gung hoe

@ all joe supporters right on! @SOFA KING AWWW POOR WUTTLE CRIMINALS lets coddle them so they all come back again after they do their time.

May 11, 2012 at 1:47 am | Report abuse |
  5. gung hoe

@ jeff frank we could launch the worst prisoners first all the while have it televised that way the jail can make some money to house them.

May 11, 2012 at 1:54 am | Report abuse |
  6. Tooter

I hope that all of America will stand with this man and demand that our laws be obeyed. I like him and all that he stands for. Our USA is in major trouble and if Americans don't stand up for her , she is on her last leg and will fade off into the sunset. Coddling criminals and illegals will destroy this nation with no shots being fired. The ACLU should be the one sued. This is an excuse for an organization that is determined to destroy our country.

May 11, 2012 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  7. carrie maresh

I'm a staunch fan of Sheriff Joe. Please tell me what the Justice Department has been doing? Oh right...They were the ones "runnin guns". This is one of the biggest corruption organizations in the nation. The only reason Sheriff Joe caught the their attention is because Sheriff Joe did some investigative work on Obama who it appears is himself "illegal". Obama and his henchman Holder won't have a long career as Sheriff Joe has accomplished. For come November, Obama will be out, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me, America."

May 11, 2012 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  8. Greek American

Oh Sheriff Joe you are such a hero. Put people in a tent jail who have been caught driving when having one drink, what a maverick hick idealist you are. I love police states and counties and yours is my favorite of all-time. I also love your cowboy hat and stomach hanging out over your feet.

May 11, 2012 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  9. Tachoman

Arpaio is no better than a Gestapo officer.
    He laughs at those latinos asking for the police to help them with their crime problems.
    Humiliates human beings violating their Human rights to fair treatment and respect for their human dignity.
    He vouches for racial profiling and if allowed he would shot every latino that gets in his sights.
    Want to do somthing for humanity? Take this guy out from office and prosecute him with all the force of law.

May 11, 2012 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  10. Måd

I loath Arpaio, but fully agree that O is using this for political reasons. They're both swine, just different flavored bacon

May 11, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. carby

ARPAIO is EVIL and MEAN-SPIRITED. He is the definition of HATE. Anyone having that much hate is incapable of doing anything right. He really needs help – as he is PSYCHO and MENTAL. He doesn' realize that being sheriff doesn't give him the right to DISRESPECT government – I don't care who is in charge. He thinks that he can do WHATEVER THE HELL HE WANTS! Thats how sick he is – I hope they throw the book at him and put HIM in a pink uniform and UNLEASH him to all he put behind bars – blacks, mexicans, whites, etc.

May 11, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott

I would love to see Joe as AG in Romney wins the elections.

May 12, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  12. carby

You are going DOWN, Arpaio (as you will be forced to do in prison!)

May 11, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • JOSE0311USMC

JOE IS NOT GOING ANY WHERE...MEXICANS LOVE TO GET HIM FIRED.. ALSO BUSINESS OWNERS HATE HIM, BECAUSE HE TOOK THEIR SLAVE ILLEGAL WORKERS......BUSINESS OWNERS DO NOT WANT TO HIRE AMERICANS....BUSINESS OWNERS ARE GETTING RICH BY USING SLAVE WORKERS.....HOW CAN THEY HIRE ILLEGALS WITH FAKE I.D.'S ?? IS A CRIME, BUT THEY HATE JOE FOR ENFORCING THE LAW. GO JOE–GO JOE.

May 11, 2012 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Thinker

the papers please sounds like thte gestopo tactics. Arpaio is a 24 carat jerk. He has no busines being a sheriff, let alone running a jail. I hope he gets convicted, and he can spend time in his tent jail.

May 11, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • JOSE0311USMC

THINKER--YOU ARE WRONG ..U.S. MARINE HERE, I SUPPORT JOE 100 % ....I'M ALSO A HISPANIC GUY.

May 11, 2012 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Sweet Pea

Let me get this straight: The Attorney General, Eric Holder, secretly sends thousands of automatic weapons to Mexican drug cartels who kill Mexican law enforcement and runs drugs and illegal aliens into the US, and then he sues an Arizona sheriff who is enforcing the law.

Thanks, food stamp recipients, for electing Obama and creating this anarchy.

May 11, 2012 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • JOSE0311USMC

PEA--GREAT POINT........OBAMA AND HOLDER SHOULD BE THE ONES BEING PROSECUTED......I VOTED FOR OBAMA AND I'M A DEMOCRAT.

May 11, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Debra

I stand by Sheriff Joe!! He is probably one of the BEST sheriff's in this country! I just think that the Dept of Justice is filing their lawsuit against him because the Dept. of Justice looks really BAD when it comes to enforcing the law. Sheriff Joe is enforcing the laws of this country as any lawman is required to do. If you come to this country illegally, you should be punished, you broke OUR law. Repeat offenders shouldn't complain at all about the living conditions and meals, after all, you broke the law so why should honest, hard-working, taxpayers pay for you to live in "Club Med".

May 11, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dear Lord

What is wrong with America? Too many idiots. You people need to do some research on "sheriff joe"...Though I'd guess most of you are not smart enough so I'll help you out:
      1. joe runs jails not a prison. So what? Jails are populated with a large % of people that are waiting on trial and have not even been convicted yet! In the USA you are inocent until proven guitly...The people that are in jail and have been convicted of a crime are in jail for less than a year (relatively minor offence). Many prisoners have DIED in sheriff joe's jail since he has been in charge...
      2. sheriff joe uses his deputies to investigate political rivales on a regular basis. He then forces them to defend themselves Vs baseless charges. They are forced to spend thousands of dollars in this defense...
      3. joe runs his deptment like a third world dictator. He is corrupt and disregards any law he wants. It is an absolute embarresment that he is an elected offical in 2011 and a testement to the stupidity of the voters of that county.
      Do the research for yourselves. Google is your friend...

May 11, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |