Overheard on CNN.com: 'I stand with Joe Arpaio,' reader says about lawsuit
A Justice Department report describes "a pervasive culture of discriminatory bias against Latinos" in Joe Arpaio's office.
May 10th, 2012

Overheard on CNN.com: 'I stand with Joe Arpaio,' reader says about lawsuit

The Justice Department filed a civil lawsuit against Sheriff Joe Arpaio and Maricopa County, Arizona, on Thursday.

"They're using me for the Latino vote, showing that they're doing something, taking on the sheriff over an alleged racial profiling," Arpaio told reporters in Phoenix. Our readers had varying takes on the controversial sheriff, illegal immigration and Arizona in general.

Arpaio: 'I will fight this to the bitter end'

Readers debated whether the federal government should be getting involved.

Tr1Xen: "I stand with Joe Arpaio on this one. Illegal immigration should be fought vigorously, and I applaud the State of Arizona and the Maricopa County Sheriff's Department for taking that fight much more seriously than the Obama administration has. Heck, the Obama administration found fault in Texas' recent legislation requiring registered voters to provide photo ID, claiming that it discriminated against Latinos because they disproportionately lack photo identification (even though they are every bit as eligible to obtain photo identification, provided they are here legally). By the way, as a Texan, if that legislation is overturned by the federal government or isn't in effect on Election Day, I plan to wear a name tag with someone else's name on it when I go to vote. I'll tell them my correct name and to just ignore the name tag on my clothing. I urge others to do likewise! :)"

NoTarOnBeach: "Then you stand with a criminal. If you are OK with the police working outside the laws, then don't complain when the police abuse carries over to you."

19volks71: "Thank you. The federal government has no business in county level operations."

These people spoke out against Arpaio.

Ed Campbell: "Is there anyone in Arizona government who actually cares about civil rights?"

katepig: "Doesn't look like it does it. I'm from Arizona, but I've escaped. Joe Arpaio is one of the most corrupt sheriffs in the U.S. This guy is such a profound scumbag, I'm glad they're finally taking some action in regard to his vile behavior. If he and Jan Brewer were permanently removed from service, there would just be 100 more racist rednecks to take there place. Political buffoonery is par for the course in AZ."

These commenters wrote in support of Arpaio.

Tjscott: "So let's get this straight. Arizona has one of the highest immigration problems in the United States with the VAST majority of these illegals being Hispanic. Key words being illegal and Hispanic. Now, we're going to sue the person we put in charge of enforcing laws in a particular county of Arizona. The circus act that is the U.S. Justice Department is going to sue the guy who is supposed to get rid of people breaking laws (hence, 'illegals' in the earlier portion of this note), sending a clear message that you shouldn't actually arrest the grossly overpopulated illegal Hispanics. Wow. That makes no sense at all. I hope the terrorists succeed in taking out D.C. next time."

tgloege: "Leave Joe alone for crying out loud! If we had a sheriff like Joe in every county in the U.S., we'd have far fewer illegal aliens sucking up taxpayer money."

Aaaaand ... cue the state-on-state rivalries.

ProfLogie: "I've traveled through Maricopa County ... didn't stop or buy anything though ... Tried not to spend any money in the backwards state of Arizona."

Cat Nippy: "I once considered retiring in Arizona. No more. To paraphrase an old quotation, if I owned hell and Arizona, I would live in hell and rent out Arizona."

novax: "Yea, probably from the progressive state of California!"

What's your opinion of Arpaio? Share your opinion in the comments area below and in the latest stories on CNN.com. Or sound off on video via CNN iReport.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Joe Arpaio • Justice • Lawsuit • Overheard on CNN.com • U.S.
  1. b

sheriff joe for head of the d.o.j.

May 11, 2012 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  2. carby

Arpaio – you ARE NOT DOING YOUR JOB!! Your job isn't to be an EVIL and MEAN-SPIRITED idiot!!!! (Which is what you are). What a joke – you said "Washington comes to you when there is a problem" – once again, you prove that you are a MENTAL, PSYCHOTIC jerk! Seriously, you think Washington thinks you are that important? Think again..The feds need to come in and govern your office – because you are doing a VERY POOR JOB! I can't wait for you to end up locked up with all those mexicans, blacks, whites, etc. that you've sent there. Your are going DOWN!!! (Which is what you will be doing once you get there!!!!!!!!!!!)

May 11, 2012 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott

@Carbo, what in idiot you are to believe what you wrote, been drinking more of Obam's kool aid

May 12, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  3. cranky john

I support Sheriff Joe Arpaio in whatever he has to do to keep Arizona citizens free and safe
    Wish I could go back to live in Arizona where [ felt safe with Joe around

May 11, 2012 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • WHOOSHED

If you were not so poor and unbalanced you could afford to make that move. I am sure your neighbors would welcome the change.

May 11, 2012 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  4. WHOOSHED

Old man remind me of Alabama's Eugene O'Conner "the water hose fool of the civil rights area" he did more for civil rights with his damn dogs and water hoses than MLK did with his marches. This CS Arpaio will go down on the wrong side of history as well. Thank goodness in about twenty years the worse generation of them all, the hate that hate produce, will be dead in hell and peace and equality will ringout around the world.

May 11, 2012 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Richard Dunigan

Your dreaming...........The Middle East has been killing each other for thousands of years..........The Africans sold their own people into Slavery and even today they are killing their own kind on a daily basis, wake up.

May 12, 2012 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  5. dazzle ©

@Manic Panic, someone hijacked a regular users name and twisted it around to suit whatever fetish that they have. I do believe that Former MC jail inmate is just a shock poster.

May 11, 2012 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Manic Panic

I see that. I also believe he's lying through his teeth.

May 11, 2012 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Kathryn Harlan

Guess if your President Obama doing a terrible job ie., the economy and reducing a trillion dollar debt, then suing a Sherifff (along with the citizens of several states) on BEHALF OF ILLEGALS is a great distration to the real issues he has failed to fix!! Ask yourself...How many jobs will American citizens gain over this latest lawsuit???....ZERO for US citizens, but maybe a few for illegals if he wins

May 11, 2012 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Manic Panic

I'm not female, but from what you're writing you're probably one now.

May 11, 2012 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  8. former MC inmate (cont)

This is all the truth. I can see where you would believe Usama Bin Ladens admission but not mine though. (shrug) hagd

May 11, 2012 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  9. btw

Over the course of Joe Arpaio's illustrious carreer, he has dodged no-less than 17 federal murder charges. (suspected and convicted criminals beaten to death while at MCCJ) You only wish this were about illegal Mexicans invading the USA, and even when we hire them and treat them decent, they still don't want to adopt our language and customs as their own. Worse than rebs still flying that damn rebel flag, almost.

May 11, 2012 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Remember the Alamo !

When a pack of turncoat Americans left the USA in favor of Mexico, and then rebelled against paying Mexico taxes (thinking the good people of the USA would come to their rescue). Their little plan backfired, did it not.
    Learn from this you illegal Mexicans whom have abandoned your own country. See how we treat our own 'benedict arnolds' and ask yourself if you REALLY believe we will treat you any better, no matter the law that just changes anyway.
    "Remember the Alamo !"-John Wayne as he tosses another illegal Mexican of of the flying but overly burdened cargo plane.

May 11, 2012 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Manic Panic

Why on earth would one a) admit to impersonating someone, and b) make fun of bobcat's name? Seems a little underhanded and sneaky. Very mean-spirited, too. Why do that when you can make up new names? Weird.

May 11, 2012 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@MP, I don't know but it happens all the time. BTW, I do like your U/N.

May 11, 2012 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Manic Panic

Thanks, dazzle. I've been around for a long time here, and I have to change my name every so often. I've probably been posting here for more than three years, so I remember many of the people that the person who is trying to justify stealing their names is talking about.

Identi ty theif, bobcat is much older than tomcat, and to my knowledge, has never had cancer. Bobcat lives in Alabama, Tom lives in Texas. The only thing they have in common is that they are both male, and are both firemen. Bobcat isn't even that, anymore. I know that you have an aversion to being corrected, but this has been pointed out to you on more than one occasion by bobcat himself, but if you want to believe your own lies, so be it. Just don't spread them because it makes everything else you say suspect, and you have posted many, many good things.

May 11, 2012 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Remember the Alamo !

*out of the *still flying but overly burdened cargo plane USA. Those others of you who burden her down know who you are, but never speak up about it. Don't be ashamed that yer too drunk to work and so garner early social security disability. We understand you were "born thataway". Greetings. Welcome. We tolerate you. XXOO

May 11, 2012 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@MP, I really don't have an aversion to being corrected but what lies are you speaking of? Bobcat has never called me out for lying and I take pride in being honest to a fault.

May 11, 2012 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Manic Panic

Dazzle, I was talking to the ident ity thief, the one who posted as {@dazzle}. The second paragraph was to him. I have never seen a duplitious comment from you. I have, from him.
      Sorry if my post confused you.

May 11, 2012 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  13. dazzle ©

@Tomcat, so you are referring to peeing in bobcats hat. As a friend who has his back would it help if I asked you to stop. I haven't been around on here for long but I do remember the General. No I would not like to see him back. Thank you.

May 11, 2012 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  14. @dazzie

Guess who used to be Tomcat with a big *T*. Never mind. Back on topic: Joe Arpaio
    The above stories are honest and true. I wish that my accounting of racial profiling at MCCJs "Horseshoe" had not been moderated/deleted. No, it wasn't as funny as a bocat in a hat, but it was on topic, well thought out, and accurate.
    You can see where a serious news blogger might become nauseated.

May 11, 2012 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@MP, thank you for that. Yes I do have my name hijacked and twisted a lot. A pleasure to meet you.

May 11, 2012 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Manic Panic

Bob and Tom H. are not the same person, and you need to accept that.

May 11, 2012 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Manic Panic

The pleasure is all mine. Nice to meet you, too. I'll admit that I know next to nothing about Joe Arpaio, but I know he is controversial. I read these comments avidly, and I still have mixed fellings. More research is necessary.

May 11, 2012 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  15. LMAO

She's more interested in the misdeeds of a blogger than she is Joe Arpaio's criminal activities! lmao

May 11, 2012 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |