May 14th, 2012

Monday's live events

The race to the presidency now turns toward the general election in November.  CNN.com Live is your home for all the latest news and views from the campaign trail.

Today's programming highlights...

8:30 am ET - Dalai Lama honored - The Dalai Lama will receive the Templeton Prize in London.  The award honors someone who's made an exceptional contribution to affirming life's spiritual dimension.

12:30 pm ET - Obama speaks to college graduates - President Obama delivers his first commencement address of the college season this afternoon, as he addresses graduates of Barnard College in New York.

1:30 pm ET - 'Baby Gabriel' would-be adoptive mom trial - Testimony continues in the trial of Tammi Smith, who's accused of forgery and custodial interference in the case of missing child Gabriel Johnson.

CNN.com Live is your home for breaking news as it happens.

Filed under: Elections • On CNN.com today • Politics • Tibet • World
  1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

It is good to see the Dalai Lama honoured.
    I consider Buddhism, especially Mahayana Buddhism, a far more appropriate model of spirituality for the year 2012 than Christianity or Islam.

May 14, 2012 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
  2. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

As the 2012 presidential race becomes clearly focused, I remain, philosophically, a Republican regarding personal responsibility, but my party's social and religious agenda has not evolved into this century: for the third time in my life, I will vote for a Democratic presidential candidate.
    I hope that Log Cabin Republicans, who still have not been fully accepted in their party, will join me in voting to re-elect President Obama.

May 14, 2012 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Jj

uh no thanks Joey. I'm happy with my traditional mindset

May 14, 2012 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

I, too, am glad to see the Dalai Lama so honored.
    If there were ever a man representative of peace, he is truly it.

May 14, 2012 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  4. saywhat

Dalai Lama has become an icon like Nelson Mandela though on a different level.
    @ JI-F
    I'm there with you on re-electing President Obama. Had Ron Paul been allowed to pull thru by forces working behind our election process I would have voted for him.
    Rational thought & humanism is what is needed to see humanity get thru the present turbulent times. Spirituality may bring peace 7 contentment on an individual level.

May 14, 2012 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

@ saywhat:
      We absolutely agree on your phrase, "rational thought & humanism."

May 14, 2012 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  5. saywhat

Pardon the typo folks (7).

May 14, 2012 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  6. saywhat

Where is the bigger news?
    The JP Morgan 2 billion (and counting) debacle.
    Chief Ina retiring? After committing a crime against investors of this magnitude??

May 14, 2012 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  7. Philip

Good point, saywhat. Even FBI agents guilty of defrauding the US taxpayer (columbian ho scandal) don't face justice in court, they face unemployment.
    Like California facing a 16 billion dollar budget shortfall thanks to Arnold the Governator dropping CA's 100 billion dollar lawsuits vs. the Bush Bin Laden Group's ENRON corporation (aka Carlyle Group)

To:....CA taxpaters: If it's any consolation, the billions ENRON stole from you went to a good cause...ENRON built a huge Ng fired electric powerplant in India with your dollars, with Ng being supplied from the Carlyle Group's Caspian Basin holdings. Indian students now have more light to study at university.

May 14, 2012 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  8. About Peace

True. The Dalai Lama does represent Peace. Can you imagine him saying "Do not think I came to put peace upon the earth. I came to put, not peace, but a sword. For I came to cause division, with a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother..."–Jesus

May 14, 2012 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

The Dalai Lama represents peace, and a peaceful way of achieving it, as it relates to the inner self.
    I am glad he is being honored.

May 14, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  10. saywhat

@ Philip
    Ah! Enron and that Carlyle Group again. The gods on the mount.

May 14, 2012 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. dazzle ©

I am sure there is more to come on the JP Morgan (Chase) nightmare. Why I ask is Corzine still off the hook.?

May 14, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

@ Philip:
    Why did you think I put the big "d" in "Democratic?"
    For Dallas?

May 14, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@bobcat (in a hat) ©, I thought we lost you to the trolls and jackers that have taken over. Saturday night I thought you had a troll that was trying to question me about tent city. Let me be sort of cryptic as to why- your u/n did not have the usual _ before your TM and I thought that's a troll. Yep I am crazy paranoid but wanted to be safe. If there is any question, you can always put the word about the climate that I live in either Spanish or French. I think you speak both. CNN takes umbrage if I post using either language so maybe just a word with be proof enough. I missed you and glad you are well.

May 14, 2012 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

I totally understand the paranoia. These trolls are about to drive everyone away. But as long as all my friends hang in, so will I. I had quit posting early saturday because of the trolls. I really couldn't tell who I was talking to.

May 14, 2012 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@bobcat(iah) you didn't forget, how sweet. It is scheduled to leave at 12noon Pacific Time. I will be looking for my special joke as I pack according to TSA procedures. Damn 3 oz bottles.

May 15, 2012 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Olkay, 12 noon pacific is 3 pm central right ? And that 3oz bottle rule is really stupid. But anyway, i will post your
      broma especial in plenty of time. Hopefully you can laugh through the groping sessions.

May 15, 2012 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Thelma Lou Brickmore

you said grope. Tee hee.

May 15, 2012 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
  13. banasy©

Cherry-picking out of the Bible has been prevalent for a long time.
    Nothing new there.

May 14, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  14. banasy©

@ Ricky:
    Do I know you?
    It doesn't matter.

@Philip:
    My statement was "Cherry picking from the Bible has been prevalent for a long time. Nothing new there."

I said nothing at all in that statement, which is true, about what you alluded to.
    Please do not speculate on anything I might think, say, or feel, because you do not speak for me, and tend to attribute things to me that I haven't said.
    Thanks.

May 14, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Honor

She offered her honor
    He honored her offer

And all night long it was on 'er and off 'er.

May 14, 2012 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |