Preacher, singer Marvin Winans carjacked in Detroit
Pastor and gospel singer Marvin Winans said he lost his wallet and his SUV in Wednesday's attack.
May 16th, 2012

Preacher, singer Marvin Winans carjacked in Detroit

Detroit pastor and gospel singer Marvin Winans, who delivered the eulogy at pop star Whitney Houston's funeral this year, was robbed and carjacked at a gas station in his home city Wednesday afternoon, CNN affiliates WXYZ and WDIV report.

Winans, pastor at Perfecting Church on Detroit's east side, had just walked out of the Detroit station's convenience store and was about to pump gas into his SUV when four men exited the store and attacked him, he told WXYZ.

The attackers kicked him and took his wallet and his purple 2012 Infiniti QX56 SUV, he said. Winans suffered cuts and bruises to his face, hands and arms, and his pants were torn, WDIV reported.

“This kind of nonsense just has to stop ... it’s just the savageness of what’s happening in the streets. We just have to take a look at ourselves and say this has to stop,” he told WXYZ.

Detroit police are investigating, WXYZ reported.

Winans delivered Houston's eulogy at her February funeral in New Jersey. He also officiated at Houston's 1992 marriage to R&B singer Bobby Brown.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Michigan • Music
  1. get$aved

A purple 2012 Infiniti QX56 SUV?? Really???? Guess the pastor job is paying pretty well these days....

May 16, 2012 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

Thank you, I cannot agree with you more. Clearly you live here!

May 16, 2012 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  2. David

**Yawn** Just another day in the D. How did this guy make the news? It's pretty simple, don't get outta the car after dark. Carry a knife/gun, and travel with more then one person. It really not that hard. All major cities have crime its just to easier to bash Detroit. Oh yeah, and leave your BMW, Ferrari, and Land Rovers at home your only asking for trouble. Seriously an 2012 Infiniti QX56? What the hell was he thinking!

May 16, 2012 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • justme

it was afternoon, not after dark....

May 17, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  3. b

where is jesse and al to protest?

May 16, 2012 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  4. clearmind

@b where are Jesse and Al when FOUR unarmed balck children were killed? Why would they protest and be angry when ONE unarmed black child was killed but not four? Hmm! what is the difference? Maybe Trayvon`s life was worth more than the four? Hmm! must be something different that they arent outraged!!

May 16, 2012 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • animal luvr

Sharpton and Jackson care nothing for the black community, they just want to further their own agendas and get their face seen, They sicken me, They do nothing for the advancement for minorities

May 17, 2012 at 2:32 am | Report abuse |
  5. clearmind

I post this on another thread, I am angry at these so called leaders of the black community, they are wolves in sheep clothing. They do not represent me or my family

May 16, 2012 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  6. chrissy

It happened in broad daylight & he was @ a sunoco station pumping gas, so of course he got out of his car. And detroits problems started with corupt Republic officials. Particularly Kwame Kilpatrick. Its more predominate now with all the foreclosed homes.

May 16, 2012 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Bman

You know what, if you grow up in Detroit you learn to deal with most every situation, usually effectively. However if you're from somewhere else, Your signals are all wrong, and usually result in disaster.
    Hopefully lesson learned.

May 16, 2012 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  8. El Duderino (if you're not into the whole brevity thing)

I don't believe it! Next thing you're going to tell me is that drug dealers are killing people in thTijuana.

May 16, 2012 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  9. jan

The blame should not be on Pastor Winans for driving his preferred vehicle. Come on, he's the victim! Detroit is out of control. The greater issue is the lack of respect the youth of today exhibit for people and what they have. I pray God's mercy be upon those young men. God said, "Touch not my anointed. Do my prophet no harm." Mercy.

May 16, 2012 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bman

Prophet of iniquity? This isn't the belief channel just fyi.

May 16, 2012 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  10. tish

It sad that know one said thank God he wasnt seriously hurt. Sometimes we as people are quick to judge before we do our homework. Pastor Winans has been just that probably b4 u where born. lets not forget to mention that he does have re-acuring roles in Tyler Perrys movies plus his music royalties n rights and other buis venues. They talked about Jesus so trust me words dont hurt actions hurt us all worse. think about what you blog or even place your self on the other end to c how it feels. send out your prayers not the negativity. may God bless us all

May 16, 2012 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  11. What?

Really, a purple Infinity? Lol wonder if it had 26" rims too.

May 16, 2012 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Greek American

He's driving the expensive SUV to emulate his bu*t buddy felon and corrupt former mayor of Detroit Kwame Kilpatrick. Welcome to Detroit people. Dump.

May 16, 2012 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • icantanymore

expensive? its less than 60k. if that is expensive to you, then you need to get an education and a new job, and maybe some decent credit.

May 17, 2012 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  13. Mel Hall

Thankfully, the Pastor wasn't killed. The incident in itself does not alarm or surprise me. The Pastor drew attention to himself probably account of his automobile. We can not be naive to our surroundings, our community, and, the world we live in. It is what it is, not for any one particular reason, but for many quite obvious and some not so obvious reasons. The four offenders, whatever ethnic background or age they may be, are on a road to self destruction, which is the true tragedy of this story. Our society is quickly failing, and we seem to be oblivious to the real problems that we are faced with....and I don't think a " purple 2012 Infiniti QX56 " will be that hard to spot and recover if the police really have a sincere desire to do so ....I sometimes wonder.......

May 16, 2012 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
  14. icantanymore

so you mean to say a person cant get out of their suv and pump gas in detroit without having to be prepared for war? thats crazy. and everyone talking about his vehicle as if it is a Lamborghini or something – it is an suv, nothing more and nothing less. its not an expensive brand, even. soccer moms drive them, why shouldn't he? you are more concerned with the color of his ride than the fact that he was a victim of a crime? what is wrong with you people?

May 16, 2012 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
  15. yep, i hear ya

I was jacked mysef' once. Comin' outta MickieD's, i was just stepin' into me 87 Bega when this dude he comes at me wif dis knife and tells me "get out of the car son" I tells him, its mine and he gestures with the knife to move aside, so I step aside, and he commences to put the key in and turns to me and says "Can I get you to push it son, batterys dead" I nod and reluctanlty get behind it and push, it starts after about 20 feet. I kick the ground, my friend comes up, "any luck?" I turn to him "No, he wouldnt let me have it"

May 17, 2012 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
    • pg13

Ain't God helping this dude?

His only claim to fame seems to be that he officiated at Houston's wedding and gave an eulogy at her funeral. Seems like he ain't got the power to invoke God. 🙂

May 17, 2012 at 1:24 am | Report abuse |