Gotta Watch: Dramatic firefighter moments
Bangladeshi firefighters control a blaze at a slum in Dhaka on May 16, 2012.
May 18th, 2012

Gotta Watch: Dramatic firefighter moments

Firefighters regularly put themselves in harm's way, but what happens when situations arise even they aren’t prepared for?  Below are three dramatic moments caught on tape where firefighters were forced to act quickly or possibly suffer themselves.

Firefighter plunges through burning roof

As firefighters work to stop a massive apartment building fire, watch what happens after one rescue worker gets caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Fireman: Roof under him 'just dropped'

Watch as training, quick thinking and teamwork all come into play for three firefighters caught standing on a building’s collapsing roof.

1999: Atlanta crane fire rescue

In 1999, a massive building fire in Atlanta traps a lone employee on a crane above. Check out what one firefighter has to do to save the desperate man.

Post by:
Filed under: Gotta Watch
  1. saywhat

Fire fighters are a breed unto themselves. I havn't seen courage like theirs elsewhere. I salute fire fighters everywhere.

May 18, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • chris

I second that! Amazing people!

May 19, 2012 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

Firefighters have my utmost respect; I know three on these boards alone, andi know several in my town...unsung heros who put their lives on the line everytime a call goes out...
    Thank you for what you do.
    You know who you are! 😉

May 18, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mary

It's a selfless attribute to have; fighters going into a building on fire. Reminds me of Jesus heading straight for certain death as payment for our inherited sins so that we may have a chance for *Everlasting Life*. Certainly not this life.

May 18, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  4. ED

I love watching 90 seconds of commercials for 45 seconds of actual content.

May 18, 2012 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  5. tadpole

As an ex-professional firefighter, I can only say that it isn't part of teh job to put yourself in danger. It happens on occasion, but that is rare. Instead of thanking a firefighter, thank a farmer. Their job is WAY more dangerous.

May 18, 2012 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  6. leroySC

80% of the fire coverage in the U.S. is volunteer. So when you see those trucks roll just remeber not all of them do it for money.

May 18, 2012 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  7. volfirefighter

As a volunteer, I love every moment going out and helping someone. I do not like the situations but being of service is what it is about. I thank all my fellow firefigthers.

May 18, 2012 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  8. jasbo

Thank you to all of the professional and volunteer firefighters.

May 18, 2012 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Steve

Firefighting used to be a cool profession until they decided to make themselves saints after nine eleven. We all have jobs and will all make sacrifices and die.

May 19, 2012 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
    • chris

Woa....come on...no place for those comments.... Saints after 911? I've never heard any firefighter take advantage of 911 to call themselves saints...they ran into that building knowing the risks...and for that...they are heros...plain and simple.

May 19, 2012 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
  10. Rogue351

I agree 100% that fire and police put their own lives on the line day in and day out to help others. But the TEA PARTY and the REPUBLICAN party think they are make way to much money with their pensions. A vote for either of these groups will over time result in the men and women whom are true public servants to suffer. In turn everyone will suffer because we as a nation over time will not get the same caliber of people put into these jobs. So the next time you are complaining about your taxes go ahead and watch what these people do everyday and have a long hard think about if they where no longer there. That is the reality of the assault by the TEA PARTY and the REPUBLICAN party on OUR Federal Government . I assure you it will not be the political figures that see pay and pension cuts it will be people like you see here.

May 19, 2012 at 1:29 am | Report abuse |
  11. s kel

Thank you Bansay, I have to admit going into a burning building has its thrills and fears(ok im kinda crazy,more thrills).But like my firefighting bro said there are more dangerous jobs out there and we as firefighters salute those doing those jobs.

May 19, 2012 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |