Shadow Summit focusing on Afghan women; CNN reveals one woman's journey
Aesha Mohammadzai's photo on the cover of Time magazine in August 2010 became a symbol of oppression of Afghan women.
May 18th, 2012

Shadow Summit focusing on Afghan women; CNN reveals one woman's journey

In a move to make sure Afghan women’s issues are not forgotten during the upcoming NATO Summit in Chicago, Amnesty International USA is hosting on Sunday a Shadow Summit to focus exclusively on the rights of Afghan women and girls.

The summit will culminate with attendees gathering at Chicago’s Navy Pier to fly kites in support of Afghan women’s rights.

The concern of those who will attend the summit is this: What happens to Afghan women and girls after the United States and allied forces move to withdraw in 2014?

The question about what the troop withdrawal will mean for women and girls in war-torn Afghanistan is not new. It was the question posed on the cover of Time magazine in August 2010, next to the photograph of a young woman who became the symbol of the oppression of Afghan women.

The award-winning image was that of Aesha Mohammadzai, then known as Bibi Aisha. Forced into marriage at a young age, her Taliban husband and in-laws punished her for running away by hacking off her nose and ears and leaving her for dead.

She was brought to America for reconstructive surgery in August 2010. But what has happened to Aesha since she arrived nearly two years ago?

Coming Sunday, CNN’s Jessica Ravitz will answer this question in an exclusive story that traces Aesha’s complicated journey.

Filed under: Afghanistan • Illinois • Taliban • World
  1. Scottish Mama

@philip- this is what I am talking about. In the name of religion, people do horrendous things to each other. Whether it is verbal or physical.

May 18, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  2. bobcat (in a hat)©

Hello Scottish Mama

How can anyone do something like this to another person ? I mean, most people wouldn't do this to an animal, much less another human being. So much for the claims of the religion of peace.

May 18, 2012 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Scottish Mama

Helloooooooo, bobcat(iah)- Just when you think humans are making progress, so much humans evolving. She must have been abused and wanted to get away. Could you imagine being abused by his whole family?

May 18, 2012 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy©

This poor woman, despite what her "husband" and his family did to her, her beauty shines through.
    I shall be very interested to see where her journey has taken her since 2010.

May 18, 2012 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Scottish Mama

banasy- word.

May 18, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bobcat (in a hat)©

@ Scottish Mama

If this is the same one I'm thinking about, There was a story a while back that said she was forced into this marriage, and when she didn't become pregnant right away, they started abusing her. Here we are trying to protect the Afghan people against the atrocities perpetrated by the taliban, knowing full well once we leave, it will go right back to where it was before our intervention. Case in point, IRAQ.

May 18, 2012 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. bobcat (in a hat)©

@ Scottish Mama

If this is the same one I'm thinking about, There was a story a while back that said she was forced into this marriage, and when she didn't become pregn ant right away, they started abusing her. Here we are trying to protect the Afghan people against the atrocities perpetrated by the taliban, knowing full well once we leave, it will go right back to where it was before our intervention. Case in point, IRAQ.

May 18, 2012 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  8. bobcat (in a hat)©

To CNN

How in the world Is PREGNANT an offensive word ?

May 18, 2012 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

It's not, it's not.lol

May 18, 2012 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Someone reported me on this? jeesh I was only funnin' bobcat(iah)

May 18, 2012 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

@ Scottish Mama

Let's get them really steamed.
      As soon as as I am able, it's going to be top pop ping time. And I'm going to pop the tops until I feel it's time to stop. Then I'm going to bop and do a hip hop flop right on top of my bed.

May 18, 2012 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Scottish Mama

@bobcat(iah) I remember it also. This is probably not even reported when we are not there anymore. Where do they go? I know they do not have women abuse shelters. I wonder how many disfigured women are there. No wonder they have them cover themselves, to cover the abuse.

May 18, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy©

Looks like they printed them both, bciah.
    I don't know how we can ever protect the women, when this was done to her while the US was in Afghanistan....

May 18, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

@banasy©

Actually, there is no way we will ever be able to protect them. It's too deep seated in their thousnds years old culture. We may be a slight detterent right now, but once we we leave, it's right back to where it was.

May 18, 2012 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  11. bobcat (in a hat)©

Man, what is wrong with CNN ? First they double post my comment, then they take UMBRAGE© with my use of the word pregnant.

May 18, 2012 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Okay, so this time they didn't take UMBRAGE© with the word pregnant.

May 18, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Scottish Mama

@bobcat(iah)-time for poppin' a top?

May 18, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

@cottish Mama.

I'll have to put top popping off til later. I've got a new crew of newbies to train. So drink a cold one for me and I'll catch up later.

May 18, 2012 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  13. banasy©

MAN, do I wish I could pop a top right now.....
    Rawr, pop one for me, wontcha? Lol!
    I promise I won't take Umbrage©!

May 18, 2012 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

@ banasy©

Finally. They've blocking my posts for the last hour or so. Iguess I pissed someone off of the powers that be.
      But anyway, what I've been trying to say is, I wish I could pop one, but I have a new group of newbies for orientation tonite.
      Sorry if it seems like I'm ignoring you guys but CNN has been blocking me for some reason.

May 18, 2012 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  14. bobcat (in a hat)©

@ banasy©

I sure wish I could. I've got a new group of newbies I have to put through orientation tonite. I tried to tell SM earlier but my posts are getting blocked for some reason.

May 18, 2012 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  15. bobcat (in a hat)©

Heeeellloooooo. Are you going to let me post now ?

May 18, 2012 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |