Open Thread: The future of space travel
SpaceX aborted the historic launch of its Dragon spacecraft to the International Space Station at the last second because of a rocket engine glitch.
May 19th, 2012

Open Thread: The future of space travel

The rocket engines of SpaceX's Dragon spacecraft fired, and then abruptly stopped as the countdown to launch reached zero on Saturday. The shutdown caused SpaceX to abort launching the private unmanned spacecraft to the International Space Station.

Both NASA and SpaceX want Dragon to be able to deliver cargo to the station, bringing food, water and other provisions to the station's crew. The possibility of this launch was regarded as historic for sending private spacecraft into orbit.

What do you think is the future of commercial space travel? Please share your thoughts in the comments below.

Post by:
Filed under: Space
  1. chrissy

not me @ 4:l4 and not banasy earlier either.

May 19, 2012 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jim970

Although a necessary step, since the U.S. government no longer has the will and strength to continue the space program. However, this is likely to be a big step back as private companies have to catch up to where NASA left off. Safety is likely to be a tremendous problem as privates cut corners to reduce costs and maintain profits.

May 19, 2012 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Portland tony

Commercial Space Flight? No one is going to explore anywhere in space unless they get paid for it. These commercial launches are being paid for by somebody. Launching Satellites is one thing....Launching men to Mars is quite different.

May 19, 2012 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  4. bobcat (in a hat)©

Space travel beyond the international space station for humans is well past the next few generation lifetimes. Our tecnology is nowhere near what is going to be needed to conquer space. I mean, it takes a year just to get to mars. Just think of the countless years it's going to take to get to planets we might be able to land on, which in our solar system is very few.
    It's really nice to dream about these things which I'm sure one day will happen, but for ourselves and the next few generations, that's all it's going to be. DREAMS

May 19, 2012 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

I'd be happy to go to an orbiting hotel a few hundred miles up, drink Tang and play weightless ping-pong for a couple of days. But as a civilization, we'll never get outside of our own solar system because we can never go beyond light speed.

May 19, 2012 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  5. BOMBO ©

If there is any way whatsoever that I can get into space in my lifetime for the price of say, a European vacation, then I'm going. Maybe as much as 4 or 5 times that price. Even then. I suppose if commercial space travel has any chance it will be because of people like me who are prepared to pay whatever we can. But I don't have a few million to throw around, and I never will.

May 19, 2012 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

I'll tell you what, even at my age, if I had the the opportunity to go into space, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Of course I would have to do a space walk after I drank some Tang and Wodka.

May 19, 2012 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bobcat (in a hat)©

How are you tonite Philip ?

May 19, 2012 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  7. www.laesieworks.com

Every flying saucer ever seen since WWII has been identified. They aren't UFOs. They are IFOs, identified flying objects, identified by myself and hundreds of others who know of the NWO one world governments plans to scare you into trading your national patriotism in-on a one world government by attacking you with manmade flying saucers reported to be aliens.

May 19, 2012 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Pete

@bobcat,how's it goin with you tonight?Pretty rainy in Florida right now,no lack of water for grass here,take care,have a good one!!

May 19, 2012 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

@ Pete

It's going pretty good. Hot, humid and no rain here in Alabama.

May 19, 2012 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Ken Carroll

The opening years of PUBLICLY funded unmanned space launches contained a number of disasters. It was years before we or the Russians were able to achieve the kind of reliability that allows us to routinely insert billion dollar cargoes in orbit.
    Expect more failures along the road as the private sector refines its processes and improves its reliability.

May 19, 2012 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  10. chrissy

@ Pete, hello! Might wanta batten down the hatches tonite bud. The weather in your neck of the woods sounds iffy.

May 19, 2012 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Superman

Its a bird,,, its a plane,,, its superman!!!! The only way to fly!

May 19, 2012 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  12. chrissy

And philip, after one of our conversations i did a little research on line about your NWO. I wasnt exactly thrilled with what i found, but wasnt exactly surprised either.

May 19, 2012 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  13. chrissy

and that is NOT Joey! sheesh. Joey is impeccable in grammer, punctuation and spelling!

May 19, 2012 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  14. bobcat (in a hat)©

You know, I've thinking about all this New World Order stuff, and I now remember where I first heard it. It was about twenty or so years ago, while watching this docu mentary about Nostradamus.

May 19, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  15. IS SPACE INFINITE ?

ok? were waiting bobcat (in a hat)©

May 19, 2012 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |