Half-million pigs to be slaughtered in Chile health emergency
A dead pig lies among others at the Agrosuper slaughterhouse last week in Freirina, Chile.
May 29th, 2012

Half-million pigs to be slaughtered in Chile health emergency

A half-million pigs on a Chilean farm will be destroyed after the facility was closed for several days during a dispute with local residents.

Jose Guzman, chief executive of Agrosuper, which owns the farm, said the animals would be killed rather than moved, according to a report from Agence-France Presse.

"They are going to be slaughtered. They are not going to another farm, nor to another plant," Guzman is quoted as saying.

The events that precipitated the slaughter began this month when villagers from Freirina blockaded the farm after months of protests about foul odors and disease-infested water they said emanated from the farm and its slaughterhouse. The 500,000 pigs went unattended for five days, prompting the Chilean government to declare a sanitary emergency, according to a report from MercoPress.

Agrosuper was given six months to move the pigs and remedy the sanitary problems with the plant, MercoPress reported.

But Guzman said no other area would accept the animals nor were there enough trucks to transport them, according to AFP.

The pig farm and slaughterhouse in the village 500 miles (about 800 kilometers) north of Santiago were given a government go-ahead in 2006 but didn't work as planned, according to MercoPress.

The facility was supposed to have a system where micro-organisms would break down the pig waste, MercoPress reported.

"However, because of airing problems, the system failed and the micro-organisms did not develop generating a massive accumulation of organic disposable matter plus an unbearable stench, which took over the small village of Freirina triggering the conflict," the MercoPress report said.

In a report in The Santiago Times, Guzman said Agrosuper was in the process of fixing the problems with the plant when the protesters shut it down.

“We didn’t abandon the plant; we evacuated, which is very different,” Guzman is quoted as saying.

Post by:
Filed under: Agriculture • Animals • Chile
  1. dave p

see what happens to greedy people,you go to hell and become a pig.

May 29, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • just me

Half-million pigs to be slaughtered

why are they going to kill the muslims ?

May 29, 2012 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • gatornuts

I wonder if Chavez will be among the slaughtered. LOOOL oink oink.

May 29, 2012 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Comments here are insane

I find all the comments on how we are supposed to be the more noble caring species and be nice to the little piggies rediculous.

Humans are born omnivores. I like my lettuce and tomato sandwich fine, but it is better with bacon on it. In a modern society where we all don't grow / raise our own food, we are going to have industrial animal farming. The alternative is to be a vegetarian, and that is not a natural state for humans. We did not evolve that way. We are like bears. They eat elk and blueberries. It is no more evil for humans to eat meat, even industrial farm raised meat than it is to use industrial produced toilet paper (ahh!!! the poor trees we are killing).

Proud member of PETA – People Eating Tasty Animals. Born that way. No apologies.

May 29, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • fritz

That's kind of ironic because I'm preparing a fenced in patch of mountain forest to raise 2 pet piggies. A boar and sow. My plan is to keep the sow knocked up and spitting out babies. After growing a year on peaches, I'll whack'em and stick'em in my walk-in freezer. With fish in the pond and chickens runnin' around I'll have all the meat I need.

May 29, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lori

You have no idea what you are talking about. The ignorant among us amaze me with their justification to do whatever you want with very little regard for the innocent. You are a sad human being. I see your future filled with coronary artery desease for some reason? Have fun with that.

May 29, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jj

my doctor said my arteries are just fine. Thank you for your concern. Bacon is good. Pork chops are good. Hell maybe even sewer rat tastes like pumpkin pie(sorry pulp fiction). Also you can pick a vegetarian out of any crowd because they always look pale and just unhealthy which is why eighty percent of people who try that diet go back to eating some form of food from an animal.

May 29, 2012 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • carmen cru

If evolution would be our standard-reference to know what is good or not, most of the people living on this planet should not be there (not fitted to the actual world). In addition, you mix trees, animals, everything, I thought I was reading a pamphlet from Council for consumer freedom... which proves only your huge ignorance. Animals feels fear, pain, panic. As far as we know, trees don't. Screaming high and loud your ignorance and your arrogance don't serve your cause.
      A little walk in school corridors, for biology and ethology lessons regarding pigs (and other animals if possible) would be of some use for you it seems...

May 29, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Elizabeth B.

Totally agree. Believe that animals should be treated with respect, and die as quickly and painlessly as possible before we eat them. We are born omnivores. Being a vegetarian is not a crime, but it does go against nature. 100% agree about the comment of bears, we are no different. Our bodies require both vegetable matter and meat. I will not feel guilty for eating an animal. However, even animals raised for food should always be cared for properly. Proper food, clean water, enough room to move around. Stricter laws are needed to ensure animal welfare, but at the end of the day farm animals will be dinner, and there's nothing wrong with that. Does anyone blame the bear? No. It's doing what nature intended.

May 29, 2012 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cynthia L.

The question is more about the treatment and respect of animals, whether we eat them or not. Because you don't raise animals, doesn't mean that you should turn a blind eye toward horrid conditions of any living creature.. Living in crowded, filty environments boils down to cruelty. If you cannot understand that, at least, maybe you are doomed to choke on, or die of what you eat.

May 29, 2012 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • nisroc00

I got nothing against what you said but i sure as hell hope one of these pigs do not end up on my dinner plate. The reason being if they are not cared for properly and the slaughter house is not cleaned properly what am i really eating? I do not wish to have a diseased ridden pork chop on my plate.

May 29, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Elginer

The more I know human beings, the more I love my pets.

May 29, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Lori

Keeping 500,000 pigs in one place is unsanitary, shortsighted and now an enormous tragedy. Animals are walking among us, not here to serve us. The photo illustrates the others fear in what they are witnessing. People need to wake up and stop factory farm animal abuse for what...bacon, please. You wouldn't eat your family pet now would you? Pigs are smarter and as capable of being your companion as your dog, cat or horse for that matter. Very sad and unfortunate day for these animals. These farmers should be charged with cruelty and treated with as much respect as they treated these pigs. SHAME!

May 29, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  5. thinkb4uact

When will people realize that killing creates the worst negative karma and has to be cleansed by the Earth through natural disasters and violent weather. Maybe when people start understanding the nature of cause and effect, we won't just slaughter half a million pigs like unconscious morons.

May 29, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • jimzcarz

Smoke another one...

May 29, 2012 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Just sayin'

And the little piggy went "WEWEWE" all the the way home.

May 29, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Sonia

Where are animal rescue organizations? Don't we give enough donations to save these animals? When people talk about going to hell – I always think" YOU ARE IN HELL" ! just look at this what we humans do to all the lower life forms, and to other humans as well.

May 29, 2012 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • carmen cru

In France, we have a sentence which is :

"j'irai au paradis
      car l'enfer est ici"

"I'll go to paradise
      because hell is here" (less nice without the rhyme, sorry)

thank you, thank to all nice american people who show the rest of the world there are not only unbrained people in this country (I always am so suprised by these men being so rude for animals, considering the drama it is when they cut one of their finger with a paper sheet... I suggest their dental surgeon not to use any painkiller, would be fun !)

May 29, 2012 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • chumina

ur right weres all the help for this poor animals.i hope every person that are doing this to them will die slowy and painfuly and ur soul wont rest in peace.enternal hell.

May 29, 2012 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Kavin

Looks like the price of pork will be dropping.. =)

May 29, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Go Tea Party!

Another example of how overzealous Liberals have shut a business down, and destroyed a local economy.

The farmer was trying to figure out a solution, but, because of your meddling, all these animals will die, and you will all lose the only source of local income you have!!! Good Job Liberals!

May 29, 2012 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

Check out the video on youtube, where they take 2 new fresh out of the package of "pork" chops, pour Coca-Cola on them. In two hours, of sitting on the countertop, the chops are covered in live maggots.
    I don't eat pork (dietary law). Yuk!

May 29, 2012 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  11. zoosphere

This is the responsibility of the Agrosuper neglecting its customers. This is a very terrible situation, even though the executive says it differently. Is there something behind the super?

May 29, 2012 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  12. coderjones

well
    more proof that greed knows no bounds

how many families could be fed by shipping the pigs to people who do not have food

May 29, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jess

I don't care whether you are an carnivore, omnivore, vegetarian or vegan, no animal should be subjected to that kind of treatment and no village for that matter, either. That kind of animal farming is good for no one. I grew up on pasture raised cows from my Grandpa. Now I am a vegan for my health, not for animal rights, but it certainly turns my stomach to hear stories like this and be grateful for the decision I have made.

May 29, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  14. andyvon

Half a million pigs! Just how big is this place?

May 29, 2012 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

6,000,000 had to be slaughtered and moved at :
    Natzweiler-Struthof
    Nuengamme
    Plaszow
    Stutthof
    Theresienstadt
    Treblika
    And somebodys worried about pigs. 🙂

May 29, 2012 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |