Prince William: Diana would have loved Catherine
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge chat with Prince Harry before a luncheon as part of Queen Elizabeth II's Diamond Jubilee.
May 30th, 2012

Prince William: Diana would have loved Catherine

Prince William knows there's a lot of speculation about when he'll be adding a new member to the royal family, and he made it clear he's excited for the day it happens.

But William, the Duke of Cambridge, said in an interview with Katie Couric on ABC that he still hasn't gotten used to all the media attention devoted to tracking his plans for a family with his wife, Catherine.

"It is quite strange reading about it, but I try not to let it bother me,” he said. “I’m just very keen to have a family, and both Catherine and I, you know, are looking forward to having a family in the future.”

So did he have any news on that front to share?

“You won’t get anything out of me. Tight-lipped,” William quipped.

Check out CNN's Diamond Jubilee coverage

The interview was part of ABC's coverage of Queen Elizabeth II's Diamond Jubilee. In the interview, William and his brother, Prince Harry, spoke frankly about last year's royal wedding, their relationship with their grandmother and how they miss their mother, Princess Diana.

ABC: Watch "The Jubilee Queen" special

The Duke of Cambridge said he was nervous before the wedding but also extremely excited to make Catherine a permanent part of his life. Harry cracked jokes with him before the ceremony to try to ease his nerves.

"Honestly, it was one of those days where you feel very elated. Also completely terrified," William said. "I have to be honest, the prospect of the billions of people watching was quite daunting."

William said he particularly missed his mother as he said his vows to Catherine at Westminster Abbey, where Diana's funeral had taken place nearly 15 years earlier.

"It was very difficult. I sort of prepared myself beforehand so that I was sort of mentally prepared. ... I didn't want any wobbly lips or anything going on," he said. "It's the one time since she's died, where I've thought to myself it would be fantastic if she was here, and just how sad really for her, more than anything, not being able to see it because I think she would have loved the day, and I think, hopefully, she'd be very proud of us both for the day. I'm just very sad that she's never going to get a chance to meet Kate."

Harry said he knows how hard it was on the family for his mother not to be present.

"I think she had the best seat in the house, probably," he said. "But yeah, she would have loved to have been there; she would have loved Kate."

William credits so much of who he is today, and even the kind of person he will be, to Diana.

“She played a huge part in my life and Harry’s growing up, how we saw things and how we experienced things," he said. "She very much wanted to take us away from the sort of royal aspect of life and get us to see the rawness of real life. And I can't thank her enough for that because reality bites, in a big way. And it was one of the biggest lessons - just how lucky so many of us are.”

As his grandmother celebrates the milestone of 60 years on the throne, William said he only hopes he can measure up to what she has done for the United Kingdom.

“Hopefully, I can try and do her some kind of justice,” he said. “She set an incredible example for me, for others, to follow. Her incredible leadership, her duty, her sacrifice. She was a young woman in a man’s world, carving her own way through life.”

William said that Queen Elizabeth, in private, is a good listener but generally lets her grandchildren make their own decisions. He recalled his frustration during wedding planning when he was handed a guest list of 777 people, none of whom he said he knew. Upset that family and friends weren't on the list, he called in the queen for backup.

"She said, 'Don’t be ridiculous. Get rid of the list and start with your friends,' ” the Duke of Cambridge recalled.

Harry said that he calls the queen "Granny" and can't imagine calling her "Her Majesty."

But he also said his experience in the military has made him respect her on a different level.

“Once you’re in the military, she means a lot more to you than just a grandmother. She is the queen," Harry told ABC. "And then you suddenly, it’s like (you) start realizing, you know, wow, this is quite a big deal.”

Harry said that he has the utmost respect for his grandmother, who he believes has helped the monarchy keep up with changing times.

And the prince, who has spent a good deal of time in combat and military service, said he is looking forward to a future that involves a family just like his older brother.

“I’ve longed for kids since I was very, very young," he said. "And so ... I’m waiting to find the right person, someone who’s willing to take on the job.”

1. talkic social good

Their mother would be proud of how they grew up. They both seem like genuinely good people.

May 30, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • gatornuts

what's not to like? she is rich and not Irish.

May 30, 2012 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  2. DixieDoll

I agree with you, talkic. Dianna was a class act, as are her two sons. Theirs is not an easy or normal lifestyle. And the 'obvious honor & respect I've read from both of these young men is not the norm that one hears often. They'e certainly lived up to what I would suppose to be their mother's expectations, but just as importantly, the expectations of their countrymen.

May 30, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Roguemo

Yea, it's got to be tough to have everything handed to you on a silver platter from birth. I bet that sucks.

May 30, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • paul

I wouldn't exactly call Diana a "class act" in her lifestyle but I'm sure she loved her kids.

May 30, 2012 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  3. lolol

yes Will...too bad your mom got assassinated in that tunnel....

May 30, 2012 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Family Visions NC Inc.

Reblogged this on The Daniels Group Public Relations.

May 30, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Indu

What does he mean, he have never missed diana before.. that is harsh and sad.. the things that she suffered makes her more deserving to be missed everyday..

May 30, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • SueN

He said he "particularly missed his mother on his wedding day." He didn't say he didn't miss her at other times. I lost my mother at a faiarly young age and believe me, not a day goes by when I don't think about her. But on my wedding day, her lack of presence was especially felt, as I'm sure it was for William.

May 30, 2012 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tammy

no SueN, according to what I read he said "It's the one time since she's died...." Had he meant he missed her at other times he'd been quoted as saying "it's one of the times that I've missed her since she's died" not "it's the one time...." 😉

May 30, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. musings

I feel still so sad for their loss, but just as with any of our parents whom we have lost, we hope they are somehow present and able to be with us. The boys acknowledge what a great grounding in reality Diana gave them, how she really enjoyed them too. This will carry on to their kids, I should imagine, but Diana paid dearly for her originality in that family.

May 30, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  7. JC

Yeah, it must be tough for those two boys, knowing that their mother tried to bed any man she could find.

May 30, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Starzee

And you know that to be a fact because you were there? You read the National Enquirer? You are a psychic? You are just a troll who has to say something mean to try to hurt people because you are a sad wounded little person? The latter would be my guess. Get into Church, a BIBLE preaching Church that will teach you about the love of God. HE heals all wounds. This was a great little article; her boys turned out well-grounded and human...like we all felt she was.

May 30, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • convoluted

I'm sure she was just looking to be loved. Way to much pressure for someone but I'm sure you could have done better, ya right.

May 30, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  8. PJ

lolol,

You are truly an idiot. Anyone that would make a statement like yours
    is a waste of oxygen and has absolutely no life! Crawl back under
    your rock.

May 30, 2012 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • pj

JC, I have an idea, go find a job, while I get back to mine. Loser.

May 30, 2012 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Zakia103

It is very clear that Princess Diana gave her sons the wisdom and down to earth qualities they possess. She truly gave them the best gifts a mother could give. I am very sure she would have been so very proud of the men they have become. It is still hard to comprehend her passing at such a young age aand I think she would have done so much more good works had she still be with us.

May 30, 2012 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  10. pazke

Diana can rest easy, knowing that her influence on them helped them to become the fine young men that they are today. They could have been priveleged, spoiled brats, but instead they are kind, caring and respectful. I hope Harry finds someone as wonderful as Kate.

May 30, 2012 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  11. angelika

Still I think old prince Charley got rid off Diana. They did not want her to marry a Muslim men. Shame on them. I wonder if Prince William and Harry ever found out the real truth, would they turn their backs on these Royals? There certainly is a cover up.

May 30, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  12. mslisac363

Does the world really care?

May 30, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Diana and Prince William

Oh Wills, stop wishing your mother were here to see the lovely Kate. Her spirit was at your wedding, and you must leave it at that. Stop wishing "what ifs" and let that lovely Lady Diana rest in peace. You have a real, live flesh and blood princess for a wife, so stop looking over your shoulder and get on with life. You must be a ditherer, it took you long enough to marry the girl – now it's time to make her the mother of your children – get a move on lad, clocks are ticking and so is Kate's!

May 30, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • SueN

Moron. He will miss his mother for the rest of his life. Of course he's going to think of her on his wedding day and every other big event day in his life. Anybody whose lost a parent at a young age can tell you that parent is missed and thought about every day. Not with a heavy heart, but with wishful thinking at times.

May 30, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mickey

Wills???? Are you a close personal friend? His name is William.

May 30, 2012 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  14. intexas

Granny did a good job raising Harry and Willie while there father was so busy with Camela...the source of their divorce. I feel so sorry for Dianna.

May 30, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alison

Camilla was not the reason for the divorce and Prince Charles has always been a hands n and very loving father. As lovely as Diana was she had some very serious mental issues and you can not blame the royal family for all that happened to her. Charels should have been allowed to marry Camilla in the first place regardless of her divorced status. At least the monarchy learnt from their mistakes and allowed William and Catherine to develop their relationship in their own time.

May 30, 2012 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Truth is...

Not if he knew his new wife had something to do with his mothers death...she got her wish now...wicked...look out Queen!

May 30, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |