Prince William: Diana would have loved Catherine
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge chat with Prince Harry before a luncheon as part of Queen Elizabeth II's Diamond Jubilee.
May 30th, 2012

Prince William: Diana would have loved Catherine

Prince William knows there's a lot of speculation about when he'll be adding a new member to the royal family, and he made it clear he's excited for the day it happens.

But William, the Duke of Cambridge, said in an interview with Katie Couric on ABC that he still hasn't gotten used to all the media attention devoted to tracking his plans for a family with his wife, Catherine.

"It is quite strange reading about it, but I try not to let it bother me,” he said. “I’m just very keen to have a family, and both Catherine and I, you know, are looking forward to having a family in the future.”

So did he have any news on that front to share?

“You won’t get anything out of me. Tight-lipped,” William quipped.

Check out CNN's Diamond Jubilee coverage

The interview was part of ABC's coverage of Queen Elizabeth II's Diamond Jubilee. In the interview, William and his brother, Prince Harry, spoke frankly about last year's royal wedding, their relationship with their grandmother and how they miss their mother, Princess Diana.

ABC: Watch "The Jubilee Queen" special

The Duke of Cambridge said he was nervous before the wedding but also extremely excited to make Catherine a permanent part of his life. Harry cracked jokes with him before the ceremony to try to ease his nerves.

"Honestly, it was one of those days where you feel very elated. Also completely terrified," William said. "I have to be honest, the prospect of the billions of people watching was quite daunting."

William said he particularly missed his mother as he said his vows to Catherine at Westminster Abbey, where Diana's funeral had taken place nearly 15 years earlier.

"It was very difficult. I sort of prepared myself beforehand so that I was sort of mentally prepared. ... I didn't want any wobbly lips or anything going on," he said. "It's the one time since she's died, where I've thought to myself it would be fantastic if she was here, and just how sad really for her, more than anything, not being able to see it because I think she would have loved the day, and I think, hopefully, she'd be very proud of us both for the day. I'm just very sad that she's never going to get a chance to meet Kate."

Harry said he knows how hard it was on the family for his mother not to be present.

"I think she had the best seat in the house, probably," he said. "But yeah, she would have loved to have been there; she would have loved Kate."

William credits so much of who he is today, and even the kind of person he will be, to Diana.

“She played a huge part in my life and Harry’s growing up, how we saw things and how we experienced things," he said. "She very much wanted to take us away from the sort of royal aspect of life and get us to see the rawness of real life. And I can't thank her enough for that because reality bites, in a big way. And it was one of the biggest lessons - just how lucky so many of us are.”

As his grandmother celebrates the milestone of 60 years on the throne, William said he only hopes he can measure up to what she has done for the United Kingdom.

“Hopefully, I can try and do her some kind of justice,” he said. “She set an incredible example for me, for others, to follow. Her incredible leadership, her duty, her sacrifice. She was a young woman in a man’s world, carving her own way through life.”

William said that Queen Elizabeth, in private, is a good listener but generally lets her grandchildren make their own decisions. He recalled his frustration during wedding planning when he was handed a guest list of 777 people, none of whom he said he knew. Upset that family and friends weren't on the list, he called in the queen for backup.

"She said, 'Don’t be ridiculous. Get rid of the list and start with your friends,' ” the Duke of Cambridge recalled.

Harry said that he calls the queen "Granny" and can't imagine calling her "Her Majesty."

But he also said his experience in the military has made him respect her on a different level.

“Once you’re in the military, she means a lot more to you than just a grandmother. She is the queen," Harry told ABC. "And then you suddenly, it’s like (you) start realizing, you know, wow, this is quite a big deal.”

Harry said that he has the utmost respect for his grandmother, who he believes has helped the monarchy keep up with changing times.

And the prince, who has spent a good deal of time in combat and military service, said he is looking forward to a future that involves a family just like his older brother.

“I’ve longed for kids since I was very, very young," he said. "And so ... I’m waiting to find the right person, someone who’s willing to take on the job.”

1. Hunter

Lovely article about some lovely people. Diana would be (and is) so proud of her handsome sons!

May 30, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • convoluted

It's still sad that she, Diana, is gone. What would she have done to make the world a better place? She was such an ambassador for love. I believe she would find Cathrine adorable, lovely and I hope she finds her place as Diana did for the good of this planet.

May 30, 2012 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kevin H

No matter what they do or what they've done – these young people have restored honor to the monarchy. They do their grandmother proud. She's very, very proud of them I'm sure. I honestly hope Prince Charles can serve out his golden years in relative comfort and happiness – but heaven help England should he become King.

May 30, 2012 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Peter

They seem so down to earth – good for them.

May 30, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • skippy

And good for the English people as well. If only the US could have such wonderful, heartfelt future leaders. William has the class and grace of a true King. And his wife has an outward and inwardly beauty befitting the true meaning of a Queen. Diana is proud, I'm sure. And the people of England should be proud as well. Wills is going to be the King that truly loves the people and his wife will preside with him in love eternal for each other and for their country.

May 30, 2012 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mrs Pineapple

William seems like such a nice young man. I feel bad for him and Kate, with everyone hounding them about having a baby all the time. It is quite rude, and is painful if one is trying to conceive a child and having difficulty.

May 30, 2012 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  4. skippy

Diana would be very proud of her boys. She gave them a sense of living in the real world and showed them unconditional love. She could have just showered them with monetary things and had nanny's raise them but she was a mother first and foremost and it shows in how these now, men, relate to the world. My heart broke for the boys the day I heard she had died but reading this article now mends it. A good mother stays with you forever and they certainly let the world know that they had the best of good mothers. Rest in peace Diana.

May 30, 2012 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  5. JAE

What a breath of fresh air these two men are. WOW! Diana did one hell of a job, and the respectful way in which they speak of people and their maturity IS WONDERFUL to read about.

GOOD LUCK TO THEM ALWAYS.

May 30, 2012 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  6. JAE

AND, ABSOLUTELY Diana would have loved Kate. NO QUESTION about it. Diana was a very warm person and had ALOT of class.

May 30, 2012 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • StellabyStars

Yes! she really was a wonderful person and a heck of a good mother to her children. Her memory will live forever and ever!

May 30, 2012 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  7. JP

Who wants to know

May 30, 2012 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  8. StellabyStars

There is no question that the woman behind these two wonderful boys was their mother Diana! I am glad the Queen look after them and is a good grandmother. Their father, Charles, should be ashame of himself for marrying that mattress and bring her into that nice family. I hope that when the Queen dies, William will be in the throne and not that horrible man, Charles. He doesn't deserved to be King. Let Charles and the Matrees move to a remote little house in some obsure town and let them live "happilly ever after with thier selfcentered way of life". LONG LIVE DIANA'S MEMORY, QUEEN OF HEARTS!

May 30, 2012 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • octopus

I wanna puke – from both the article and most of the comments.

May 30, 2012 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jfn

Would Diana enjoy having the media "spotlight" taken away from her? Diana was very media savvy and wasn't one to share it with anyone. Also, would have to wonder if Diana would have approved of Kate, born a commoner, with no "Blue Blood" to speak of. Not sure if she would have relished not being the main woman in William's life.

May 30, 2012 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • imme

diana was a commoner to before she married charles. and if you look at the bio on diana she hated the media attention. she learned to put up with it and use it to her advantage to open peoples eyes to humanitarian work. she spearheaded lots of charities and used the media attention she got to promote those charities. but in all she hated the media talkng about her and trying to invade on her personal life.

May 30, 2012 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • peridot2

Incorrect. Lady Diana Spencer was the daughter of an Earl. That's about as royal as you can get without being born a prince or princess. Her brother is Charles Spencer, 9th Earl Spencer. The Lady Diana Spencer came from aristocratic stock.

Everyone's family is as old as everyone else's family. Recently I discovered I have royal blood. So what? That doesn't make me any better than you.

It's one thing to be ignorant. It's another to remain so when there are tools for education readily available to anyone free for the asking.

June 4, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel

Oh shut up. And don't be an idiot.

June 21, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  10. I'd love to meet her.

I smile every time I see her picture. She is every inch a a Princess.

May 30, 2012 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  11. g bovs

Get rid of the inbred morons that mascarade as 'royal' as if they ARE better then everyone else in this country.

What a joke.

Over the centuries they have had us killed, hung, drawn and quartered in their name and whim, now its all smiles, and bow to the royals.....yeah.

Post this ........if you believe in the truth.

Anon

May 30, 2012 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Denese

I agree. I don't think she would have gotten along with Kate at all. Diana fought with everyone – her step-mother, her sisters, her brother, the entire royal family, all of her lovers eventually lost favor. She'd even turn on her beloved press corp if the mood suited her. Many reporters said they didn't know how to treat her from one day to the next. She couldn't keep a personal assistant. One lady quit after a couple of months and actually said that pricess Diana was 'far more mercurial" than imagined.

May 30, 2012 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Gomez the Gipsy Guy

would my crap have been softer if I had eaten more fiber yesterday?

May 30, 2012 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  14. HIDE BEHIND

Whars with yjis commonet bs, for an amrrocsn too even uyteir such yripei is inexcusable!
    Damn, Here I thought we once fought at war so we would never have to bow and curtsy to any man and women,
    What a load of mush and pure Fantacy reporting.

May 31, 2012 at 1:58 am | Report abuse |