June 6th, 2012

Did Miss Pennsylvania quit because pageant rigged, or she opposed transgender entries?

Miss Pennsylvania says she has given up her state crown because the Miss USA pageant was fixed, but organizers say an e-mail she sent this week shows she quit because of her disapproval over allowing transgender participants.

"I will relay to you the reasoning behind my resignation. I witnessed another contestant who said she saw the list of the Top 5 BEFORE THE SHOW EVER STARTED proceed to call out in order who the Top 5 were before they were announced on stage," Sheena Monnin wrote on her Facbeook page Tuesday.

"Apparently the morning of June 3rd she saw a folder lying open to a page that said 'FINAL SHOW Telecast, June 3, 2012' and she saw the places for Top 5 already filled in."

Monnin said she waited to see how things would play out.

"After it was indeed the Top 5 I knew the show must be rigged; I decided at that moment to distance myself from an organization who did not allow fair play and whose morals did not match my own," she wrote on Facebook.

But the Miss Universe Organization said that while Monnin did resign following Sunday night's pageant, her description of the events and why she quit is false.

"The Miss Universe Organization can confirm the resignation of the Pennsylvania titleholder after she did not place in the Top 16 at the Miss USA pageant. In an e-mail to state pageant organizers (below), she cited the Miss Universe Organization’s policy regarding transgendered contestants, implemented two months ago, as the reason for her resignation," the organization said in a statement. "Today she has changed her story by publicly making false accusations claiming that the pageant was fixed; however, the contestant she privately sourced as her reference has vehemently refuted her most recent claim.

"We are disappointed that she would attempt to steal the spotlight from Olivia Culpo of Rhode Island on her well-deserved Miss USA win."

According to the e-mail released by the Miss Universe organization, Monnin sent her resignation after 4 p.m. ET Monday before writing on her Facbeook page, saying the organization had strayed by allowing transgender participants in the pageant.

"I am officially and irrevocably resigning the title of Miss Pennsylvania USA 2012," the e-mail released by Miss Universe said. "I refuse to be part of a pageant system that has so far and so completely removed itself from its foundational principles as to allow and support natural born males to compete in it. This goes against ever moral fiber of my being.  I believe in integrity, high moral character, and fair play, none of which are part of this system any longer.

"I hereby return the title of Miss Pennsylvania USA 2012."

Monnin hasn't commented on the release of the e-mail.

The topic of whether transgender participants should be allowed in pageants entered the spotlight after a controversy in the Canadian version of the pageant. Jenna Talackova, 23, forced Donald Trump and his Miss Universe Canada pageant to end its ban on transgender contestants. Talackova fell short of the national title at the pageant.

And in Sunday's Miss USA pageant, the topic surfaced in the question-and-answer part of the show when Rob Kardashian read aloud a question sent in by a viewer via Twitter for Culpo, Miss Rhode Island and the eventual pageant winner.

"Would you feel it would be fair that a transgender woman wins the Miss USA title over a natural-born woman?" the question asked.

Culpo quickly embraced the Miss Universe decision to allow transgender women but also acknowledged why some people may not feel comfortable with it.

"I do think that that would be fair, but I can understand that people would be a little apprehensive to take that road because there is a tradition of natural-born women, but today where there are so many surgeries and so many people out there who have a need to change for a happier life, I do accept that because I believe it's a free country," Culpo said.

1. CommonSensed

I didn't know barbies could make decisions on their own? Besides – aren't all barbies transgender – or rather, gender neutral?

June 7, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Zexks

Why do people even watch these things anyways? Do we really need a national "Who's hotter" contest?

June 7, 2012 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Frank

People of the United States of America,
    1st Miss Pennsylvania should have been in the top 3 final

June 7, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Joshua

I love to hear people talk about moral fiber when their boobs are hanging out and their flaunting their body for the world to see. I'm not opposed to them doing it, just don't preach in the process. And if she was that opposed to the transgender issue, why didn't she quit back when it was approved by the organization instead of waiting?

June 7, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  5. cja

I bet half the girls in the contest have had almost as much surgery as the men. Why not simply call it a human sculpture contest and be done with it?

June 7, 2012 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Yo Yo Wassup Wassup

Did she quit because of this, or did she quit because of that?

Oh I shall toss and turn all night, in a quandary.

June 7, 2012 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Yo Yo Wassup Wassup

We all know the Miss Universe pageant is fake, and we've all known it for years. Years and years. Years and years and years. Years and years and years and years.

Fake. Fake. Fake. Fake fake fake fake fake fake.

Buncha fakers, is what they are.

June 7, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  8. JJ

I enjoy all the comments about transgenders being "classless mental cases". When I changed my gender I went from a 30k a year job to a 6 figure salary. Call me crazy, but I think this "being a boy" thing is working out pretty well.

June 7, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • babe

Oh I went the wrong way! I took a 20% cut in pay. But I won't get laid off. LOL

June 8, 2012 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
  9. Steve Newman

Seems to me she has had a little work on her 'superstructure'. Guess that doesn't count as not 'natural'.

June 7, 2012 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  10. duh

Of course its fake its on TV, its scripted. All "professional sports" are also fake Boxing, Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey,Wrestling.

That's why they're forced to call it "sports entertainment" and not sports

June 7, 2012 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  11. trania

They should outlaw breast implants. That's not a natural part of a woman. If that was the case... then you Miss Pennsylvania wouldn't be eligible.

June 7, 2012 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • suciobeats

But she was still born a woman, no?

June 8, 2012 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
  12. SilentBoy741

I'll bet her statement would have been a lot different if she'd won.

June 7, 2012 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Izoto

Trannies being in it just bloody disgusting. I'm sorry, but let's be real. I don't have any issue with trannies but don't taint the damn beauty contests.

June 7, 2012 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  14. StewieTO

Face it, Miss PA, you just don't have the looks, brains, or personality to win in life, let alone the MUP.
    I think the silicone you had pumped into your mammaries has travelled to your brain.

June 7, 2012 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan Green

I don't know about her statements, but she definitely has the looks.

June 8, 2012 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
  15. Tnjen

It amazes me of how readily we use stratification for people. The really amazing thing is is how we have done it repeatedly throughout history and it's horrific impacts. We once considered people of color as a subcategory and it led to their enslavement. Women once were in a subcategory and were viewed as property. Jews were viewed as a subcategory and were victims of genocide. What is the problem folks of seeing every person as someone having intrinsic value whether they be; straight, gay, Muslim, Jew, black, white, transgendered, etc...? Maybe we need to have a subcategory of primeval hate mongering bigots, hmmm I wonder how many would fit that bill??

June 8, 2012 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |